Thread: Staff Review - Borderlands 2

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar

Staff Review - Borderlands 2

Just so you know, we may have ripped this review from the hands of a dead adventurer. Full disclosure and all that.

Read the review here
    Last edited by omegabyte; 10-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Another game's RNG trolling you? My experience with loot is the polar opposite of Omega's. I've got more blues and legendaries than I know what to do with. You can even farm them off bosses (supposedly a fairly generous 1/5 chance).
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 10-01-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    This is a pretty good review, although I'd disagree that the drop rate in single player is a detracting factor. Yes, if you play the game "properly", so to speak, you may notice less purples and oranges than the original Borderlands. However, you can pretty easily farm chests, the gun guy in Sanctuary, and unique enemies for a reasonable chance at these items. Infact, I'd say most of my better weapons have come from single player, since no one I play with really wants to do any farming at this point.

I'm also pretty cool with the fact that the game hasn't changed up its' formula too much. To use an analogy, Paper Mario 2 is one of my favorite games because it refined all the aspects that the original Paper Mario was lacking in. Borderlands doesn't really need the changes that Super Paper and Sticker Star (will likely) bring to the table just yet, because the original formula is a winning one that has yet to be milked, such as the Pokemon series.

In the end, Borderlands 2 will probably end up being my GOTY, especially since there are only two other games I'm looking forward to this year.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 10-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Yeah, this early in a franchise's life, it's probably better to focus on refinements and improvements. And I say luck is the main factor in loot whether you play the game "properly" or not. Most of my epics and legendaries came as random drops or chest pick-ups. The drop rate increases a lot as you level up (there is definitely a "training wheels" feel for the first 10 levels or so).

I'm playing the first game, and the audio, to me, is really nothing to write home to Mom about. One thing I dislike about WRPGs is that their soundtracks seem to be forgettable and rely too much on ambiance.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    The soundtrack is very ambient, this is true, but the voicework and sound effects are top notch.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm going to have to agree that you got trolled by the RNG. I'm literally swimming in blues and purples, though I did have the Vault Hunter's Relic equipped for most of my current playthrough. Even with it being mostly the same as BL1, I'm finding that they made a good number of changes: higher difficulty, badass system, character customization, more diversity in quests, and LADDERS. I've been frustrated any number of times, but I'm really looking forward to trying out another class after this gunzerker run.

Any game where an enemy bandit yells at me "I've now found my new MEAT BICYCLE" is a game I want to be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Another game's RNG trolling you? My experience with loot is the polar opposite of Omega's. I've got more blues and legendaries than I know what to do with. You can even farm them off bosses (supposedly a fairly generous 1/5 chance).
    RNG is RNG.

Lv 38, finished the first playthrough and then farmed the end boss for 2-3 levels. Solo, and with the pre-order +5% droprate relic equipped for 98% of that time.

Grand total of one orange drop, gotten just this afternoon. And it's that crappy little Tediore shield. Whee!
    (pretty good supply of purple drops, though.)

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simba B View Post
    One thing I dislike about WRPGs is that their soundtracks seem to be forgettable and rely too much on ambiance.
    To be honest, I think the soundtrack from Borderlands 2 is actually very good. Trouble is, like you say, its very difficult to get the music to the foreground. Turning down sound effects and dialogue doesn't really seem to have much of an effect BL2 when it comes to trying to get the music into the foreground. After tinkering with it a good 7 minutes and realizing I could hardly tell the difference between sound effects on 5 versus 10, so I just gave up. Songs that play during the the various 3 arenas, and some of the boss battles such as Flynt in particular are quite energizing and get you in the mood to cause chaos more so than most other shooters I've played. Maybe thats just me, though.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 10-01-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

I haven't beaten the game yet, but it's been great so far. I wish that the timed side quests didn't exist though, but I guess I can just skip them. That makes me heart sad, but it has to be done. All the references are hilarious and the talking and flavour text is pretty entertaining. I've heard complaints about finding good loot in single player but, well, I keep running into blues and purples all over the place. During this last level I even found too pretty awesome purple SMGs. A fire one, a slag one, and both are actually pretty great for my level. I think I've had at least one purple piece of equipment since pretty much the beginning of the game. Hell, that first bullymong at the start of the game dropped an orange corrosive version pistol for me.

I even took off my vault hunter relic and have since found a purple head customization for my commando. Lucky, maybe, but I'm certainly not complaining about the lack of quality arms.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Good review. Agree 100% with being not as fresh or original as BL, but still it's been refined and is a very solid game. The black humor is hit or miss to me, but most of it is great.

"BRING ME A BUCKET, AND I'LL SHOW YOU A BUCKET!"
    Last edited by Raza; 10-02-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I believe it was Chris who mentioned, on the podcast before last, that BL1 never really clicked with him. I'm of that camp after sinking in 25 hours. It doesn't help, I imagine, that I played single player...but I just felt like it was pretty disjointed. It had some great elements, but it just didn't make for a compelling single player experience. It felt a bit like a solo WoW style MMO with FPS mechanics. I'm still not sure if BL2 improves enough in key areas to be a compelling single player experience, though I do see a number of interesting elements & improvements.
    Last edited by jcservant; 10-02-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Have you all looked into XCOM: Enemy Unknown? It's also published by 2K, has experience, leveling, classes and skill trees, and I've heard it compared in some ways to Valkyria Chronicles but with an additional strategic layer. It's releasing soon. I wasn't sure if it would qualify as an RPG, but thought it might if Borderlands does.

Quote Originally Posted by Taika View Post
    Have you all looked into XCOM: Enemy Unknown? It's also published by 2K, has experience, leveling, classes and skill trees, and I've heard it compared in some ways to Valkyria Chronicles but with an additional strategic layer. It's releasing soon. I wasn't sure if it would qualify as an RPG, but thought it might if Borderlands does.
    Already all over that.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Yeah, I'm finding Bordlands 2 so much of the same that it isn't really able to hook me, even with multi-player.

Good review.

I'm really enjoying Borderlands 2. Currently playing with a buddy of mine, and he and I are deep into it, itching to play after work every day. Contrary to a few opinions I am really enjoying the music, even if it is mostly ambient - it is well produced ambience. The music during the horde-mode Arena in the Fridge ramps up the electronic club music to great effect where you feel pumped to continue through the waves one after another - even to the point where my friend was really digging it and he normally does not like electronica.

I'm also really enjoying the writing. The NPCs feel a lot more well realized than in the first Borderlands, my personal favorites being Tiny Tina, and Handsome Jack (and who could forget Claptrap). Some of that is the writing, and some of that is the expertly delivered lines from the voice actors. Some of the college humor can miss it's mark (Butt Stallion??), but overall the jokes are keeping my friend and I lol'ing as we traverse the world.

One thing I wanted to mention that wasn't really touched on in the review was how much more interesting the class skill trees are compared to Borderlands 1. In Borderlands 1 I had a difficult time getting excited about any of the talents, give or take a few. However, in Borderlands 2 I've yet to mouse over a talent in the skill tree without desiring to have that skill immediately. That is at least, on my Assassin playthrough. I'm am going the melee route, but even the other skill trees look exceptionally more interesting than anything in Borderlands 1. My friend is echoing similar sentiments about his Gunzerker.

Great game, can't wait for the DLC.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some of those Assassin abilities too.

Right now I'm playing Axton. He's got lots of neat talents (and a couple duds), and while most of his abilities do cool and useful things in a traditional "tank,heal,dps" sense, he's got one particular ability that's just flat out awesome simply because it's...well, awesome.

That is the Nuke ability. It does exactly what it says it does: big explosion, big damage, and includes a mushroom cloud. It's basically a free rocket launcher shot with incredible area (not gonna own bosses). So every time your turret cools down, you can blow something up. Yes, a rocket salvo is cool because it's so damaging, and dual shooting slag rounds is cool because it ups the dps, and shields are cool because they keep you alive, but these days you rarely choose to use something just because it's cool (too often cool abilities are nixed because they're not up to the math monkeys' DPS standards). I don't like the Gunpowder tree in general, and you get way more grenades with the Guerilla tree, but boy, it's hard to resist that mushroom cloud.

And I wish Butt Stallion was in the game. I was looking forward to fighting Jack while he rode his horse around the arena. Instead he just runs around throwing grenades and creating halograms of himself. Kind of like how I fight with the Deceiver build in Halo Reach, so basically the final fight is fighting myself. Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Already all over that.
    Ah, I'm envious.^^