Thread: Staff Review - Agarest: Generations of War 2

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Staff Review - Agarest: Generations of War 2

Staff attempts at playing through the previous games in the Agarest series met with failure, but victory has been attained at the third time of asking. Was it all worth it?

[ AKA Record of Agarest War 2 for the North Americans ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

You didn't answer the most important question: Is there a turn limit?

BRAVO GOOD SHOW MATE

The battle streamlining is good to know now I actually kinda want this game.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I'm still worried about the overly complex. Why can't it just be Valkyrie Profile? It looks similar enough alright.

Also did you play the game with a walkthrough? What difficulty? How do you even know how to get the true ending? Also saying that there is a true ending kinda spoils the game, because then you want to achieve it and when you try to you just get frustrated.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    There isn't a turn limit but there is a counter that goes up with story advancement and any events/quests that are done (normal battles don't contribute), it's high enough to not be restrictive but you can go over it (at which point you can't do any of the non-directly required events).

True endings are included in all the Agarest games (and usually considered the canon endings) so I felt it is worth mentioning. I did occasionally look at a True End guide to see if there were any required events that could be easily missed (there are).
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Hmm so basically there is a turn limit, but you can't exceed it, you simple can't do optional stuff anymore when you reach it.

I really hated in the original that just by grinding a lot you missed out on most of the game. I think I will like this one a lot, since now you can grind for years and still not miss out on scenes. :-)

It looks so Xedge now.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

I don't normally like tactical RPGs, so this game probably wouldn't make me start liking them.

Agarest war I I liked, mostly tactics style <3