Thread: Staff Retroview - Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Staff Retroview - Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage

In times of old did the eldritch masters of Namco summon forth upon a wayward portable system a sequel like unto nothing its series had seen before or since. Valiantly it strove to found a lineage of its own, but the mobs of low-level enemies dragged it into the darkness of obscurity. Such are the tales of this world.

Review

I vaguely remember reading somewhere, possibly a forum, that this game is a spiritual sequel to non-Tales related Game Boy/Color game. There was a screenshot comparison and the battles looked quite similar.

Any idea which one? The only game like it that I've played for the GBC was the GB version of Famicom Wars, which was similar mainly because they were both turn-based strategy games.

Sorry, I don't remember anything more, though when I meant the screenshots looked the same I was referring to the diagonal view battles with a 2x3 grid on both sides.

Hm... I'll have to keep a lookout then. Might have been by the same dev group. I don't know WHO actually developed this game, though. It wasn't the Tales Studio, that's for sure.

edit -- Should've checked GameFAQs sooner. It was by Mahou (Magical Company). Still doesn't help much, since they never made anything else in that genre apparently.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 10-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungyin View Post
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere, possibly a forum, that this game is a spiritual sequel to non-Tales related Game Boy/Color game. There was a screenshot comparison and the battles looked quite similar.
    It may have been TotW:SL's Wikipedia entry, which says it was a gameplay sequel of Pocket King. (It even has a reference that links to a screenshot comparison!)

Huh, never thought to check Wiki on this one....

Wow, even the sprites look similar.