Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff Review - Mugen Souls

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar

Staff Review - Mugen Souls

The latest game from Idea Factory and NIS America features a cast of crazy characters on an adventure to conquer the universe. Find out within if this game is crazy good or if it will drive you mad.

Staff Review - Mugen Souls

You make me very sad, Wheels
    (Also, who is too much moe a negative? That's a total positive!)

great review. I seriously just don't get the appeal of these boring lazy jrpgs that the Compile Heart/Gust/NISA machine keeps churning out every couple months.
    I'd like to hope its just that they fill the void from the limited amount of quality jrpgs on the ps3.

I can't imagine people actually enjoying these games for what they are. :/
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    You make me very sad, Wheels
    This game made me very sad

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    (Also, who is too much moe a negative? That's a total positive!)
    Too much of a good thing then?

There is no such thing as too much moe.

I have the LE/Figure set preordered as it's a NISA title (of which I've gotten every single one as of the last couple of years)

I agree that all those Compile Heart/Gust/NISA games suck big times (except Ar Tonelico... and Agarest is at least acceptable), but Moe and Grinding are still good points for me. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I agree that all those Compile Heart/Gust/NISA games suck big times (except Ar Tonelico... and Agarest is at least acceptable), but Moe and Grinding are still good points for me. =p
    Grinding was not a negative point on its own, as with a good battle system grinding can actually be a lot of fun. The point was that combat was boring and tedious which is exacerbated by the extent of grinding required.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Jmustang1968's Avatar
    I pre-order these like I always do, but ouch, this one was really hammered here haha.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    It is unfortunate whenever a game comes out and falls flat on its face. As there did appear to be qualities to the game that could have been really good.
    Excellent review, too bad the game gets a fail!

I stopped preordering Idea Factory games after CrossEdge which was dreadful, and Trinity Universe, which was an OK game, but not worthy of future attention.

Wow, a lower score than Cross Edge. It must be truly abysmal.

I'm glad I didn't preorder this one. I'm certainly hoping that the NIS knights game will be better.

I always tend to buy these nisa games and like them all for the most part.

I think you just need a certain kind of tolerance for the odd humor and grinding to be able to play through some of them fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodor3 View Post
    I always tend to buy these nisa games and like them all for the most part.

I think you just need a certain kind of tolerance for the odd humor and grinding to be able to play through some of them fully.
    I love odd humor and have no problem with games with heavy grinding. Like I said a few posts up, the issue wasn't the grinding itself, it was the fact that the battle system was awful, which was then made worse by grinding causing you to spend the majority of the time in combat.

I know it had a few faults (well I wouldn't of called them faults) but a 1, its hardly unplayable
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

Yeah, alot of people were complaining about the amount of grinding that you have to do in the game, and alot of it does herald back to the complaints about grinding in other games made by this company. Then again, they're RPGs so there's going to be grinding in them. So I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting there...

So was it a fair review? Well, that's a tough question to answer. Because even though I don't think I would personally give the game a 1/5, I can still understand where the reviewer is coming from on alot of issues that were brought up. I think alot of it depends on personal preference, and that isn't going to be the same with any two people.

I suppose the best thing I can say is that these kind of games are sort of an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by hoktomaster View Post
    I know it had a few faults (well I wouldn't of called them faults) but a 1, its hardly unplayable
    A score of 1 does not mean unplayable. From our scoring definitions page:

Any game that receives an overall score of '1.0' should be considered extremely poor in almost all regards. Any individual item score that garners a '1' represents an aspect of the game that is very badly presented or otherwise shows an obvious lack of effort on the part of the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Yeah, alot of people were complaining about the amount of grinding that you have to do in the game, and alot of it does herald back to the complaints about grinding in other games made by this company. Then again, they're RPGs so there's going to be grinding in them. So I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting there...
    Again for the third time, the issue with the grinding is that I found the battle system to be quite poor, and thus a heavy amount of grinding requires you to suffer through even more of the battles.

To think you made all that effort typing only to have me show up and complain about there being no acute accent in Japanese.

*insert joke about acute moe here*
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

If this is anything like what i saw of that last Neptunia game, the loading times must be awful.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Maybe if they release it on PSN, it'll have better loading times?

Quote Originally Posted by kazriko View Post
    I stopped preordering Idea Factory games after CrossEdge which was dreadful, and Trinity Universe, which was an OK game, but not worthy of future attention.

Wow, a lower score than Cross Edge. It must be truly abysmal.

I'm glad I didn't preorder this one. I'm certainly hoping that the NIS knights game will be better.
    Why do you think particularly Cross Edge was the worst of the Idea Factory games?

What I found most horrible in Cross Edge was that the whole game mechanics haven't been polished at all. It feels like you always need 10 more button presses than an innovative interface would require. Like for example to see if you can attack a monster, you first have to move to every tile and browse around the monsters to see if they are attackable from that position. Not to mention that you can't just move by pressing the control stick, no you first have to open the menu and choose "move" and then select where you want to move.

I wonder if the battle system in Mugen Souls is really that tedious? I found they slightly improved their interfaces over time.

@storino03
    What's the difference between PSN and installing the game from disc, though?