Thread: 5 Screens - 6 Art - Final Fantasy XIV

5 Screens - 6 Art - Final Fantasy XIV

We ran out of decent blurbs for FFXIV a while back. As a consolation, have this chocobo with a black mage hat on.

[5 Screens]
    [6 Art]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Maybe it's just me, but I am really digging the redesign for Hein. However, I'm more curious why they even revived such an obscure character. Wonder what his role will be...

Is there a release date for this yet? I checked Gamestop.com and they didn't have one, just the original reserve from before they decided to do the realm reveal with no date.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

Kweh. And am I the only person who actually believes this game might finally become good? The redesigns are looking awesome, and in a nice FF spirit. Have any of you actually gotten any hands on time with the redesigned game yet?
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

I fully plan to get into this game when it's released again. Lots of cool things seem to have been added.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

I asked about the release because I'm interested. I'm definitely willing to give it another chance.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    Kweh. And am I the only person who actually believes this game might finally become good? The redesigns are looking awesome, and in a nice FF spirit. Have any of you actually gotten any hands on time with the redesigned game yet?
    Thus far, no one has really had time with the new XIV. I'm hoping to snag an alpha or a beta invite though as a current active player. Of course, I won't be able to say anything even if I do end up on that list.
    "To be forgotten is worse than death."

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Those chocobos... they moved the legs so far back that the poor things would tip over even before anybody tried to ride them...

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I spent some time playing Guild Wars 2. It's great, but i'm about as certain as i can be that FFXIV will be better. My reasoning is simple. This relaunch IS by design a safe play. Where Tanaka was trying to do something completely different, Yoshi is playing it safe (and honestly, SE can't afford to get risky here). But that's OKAY. This means the core gameplay is pretty well being ripped from the current standard. The UI is designed to be a copy of the accepted current best so that players can switch between games and have an easy time navigating it. Quests and dungeons and all the basics are there...

But then that's where FFXIV exceeds. It's got all the basic stuff this time around that any quality AAA MMO 'should' have ... but then it expands beyond that to do the riskier stuff. With a safe base of operations, risks are possible. Players will be able to build their own towns. They'll buy plots of land and build houses, tend to the garden and raise chocobos. Gold saucer is another example of gameplay variety. ... also, there is a functioning content finder. I find it a bit silly Guild Wars 2 doesn't have that yet.

This will be good.

(Alpha starts in November. There's no release date in theory because SE is giving them the do it right then release it freedom this time... so they claim)
    Last edited by NefarioCall; 10-15-2012 at 07:53 AM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I think it's more that the two games cater to MMORPGamers with different preferences and priorities. And that's a good thing! The way today's market is going, the whole "one MMO to rule them all" thing just isn't going to happen any more, which is healthier for the genre as a whole. No one game can satisfy the needs of every gamer, because we're all different. For some reason, MMO players as a whole are still trying to shape every MMO into whatever they personally think is the best possible version of the genre, which is silly because every MMO player has a different idea of what that "best possible version" is. Guild Wars 2 is more to my personal taste, but I hope FF XIV's reboot turns out well for those of you who are looking forward to it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

i'm interested in trying the ps3 version. But i'm not paying for the disk plus paying a subscription to play it, considering how much the first version on pc was panned.
    They need to at least let us download the client free of psn and give us a trial to try it. Then after that pay a subscription to continue playing. No way do i trust Square enough to just blindly get this.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau