Thread: Hands-On Impressions - The Elder Scrolls Online

Hands-On Impressions - The Elder Scrolls Online

After four hours with The Elder Scrolls Online, it's clear that this project blends the line better than expected. It could very well appeal to Elder Scrolls fans and MMO fans alike.

Hands-On Impression
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    You're making my love of MMOs rise to the surface here. It sounds like something that could be amazing once it's out, but I agree, the only thing to keep me there would be the no monthly subscription.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

We were just saying on the podcast we haven't heard boo about this recently. Nice to see this!

as long as it's not another wow clone...honestly can't someone quit copying that and come up with their own MMO concept?
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Do you ever stop whining about something you're completely uninformed about? Don't bother answering the rhetorical question, I know the answer.

For me, after The Old Republic, I doubt I will touch another MMO. I was so sure, so convinced that I would like it, and I did. But the grind of the MMO wore me down, as it always does. I'd love to see this game in action, as I love the Elder Scrolls series, but I think I finally know that those types of games just aren't for me. This looks beautiful though.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    as long as it's not another wow clone...honestly can't someone quit copying that and come up with their own MMO concept?
    Would you actually read the impression so you can know what you're talking about?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Looks like they've hardened the game up a bit. It doesn't look as cartoony now.

I like how they're thinking in terms of design approach, but boy, I can see a lot of potential problems. There is a reason they came up with aggro systems, tagging, servers, linear progression, and all that stuff.

I share the worries about aggro and tagging, but I love the megaserver idea. Nothing is more annoying than having to figure out what server so-and-so is on or finding a new friend only to have them somewhere else. This megaserver idea is just a flexible shared server (with technology far beyond my comprehension to explain) with the ability to spread out the load and keep people together. That alone sounds fantastic.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Nothing is more annoying than having to figure out what server so-and-so is on or finding a new friend only to have them somewhere else. This megaserver idea is just a flexible shared server (with technology far beyond my comprehension to explain) with the ability to spread out the load and keep people together.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love it too, but combine the usual launch problems with brand new tech that combines every player onto a single server...if something happens, it's gonna be some flavour of epic.

It's not entirely new tech; there's a couple MMOs out there using that sort of setup, in part or full.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    For me, after The Old Republic, I doubt I will touch another MMO. I was so sure, so convinced that I would like it, and I did. But the grind of the MMO wore me down, as it always does. I'd love to see this game in action, as I love the Elder Scrolls series, but I think I finally know that those types of games just aren't for me. This looks beautiful though.
    I agree with you 100%... I thought TOR would be the one to hook me, yet after 3 months it was dead in the water for me. This one looks nice, and is definitely shaping up better than I initially expected.

But... depending on any additional game features added (ie: ai companions, so that I dont have to party with people) will determine if I even try it.

Well, one thing is that you can solo this game from level one to max. Not sure if that's a selling point or not, but it's doable.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

It's not entirely new tech; there's a couple MMOs out there using that sort of setup, in part or full.
    Okay, so maybe it's not that new, but it's new tech for Bethesda, who is also new to MMO's, who is also the creator of some of the buggiest games ever, who may also be using the Gamebryo engine...

As far as potential for disaster goes, you can't get a better mix than that, but hey, it could end up being a case of "The Producers" ("Where did we go right?").

I agree with you 100%... I thought TOR would be the one to hook me, yet after 3 months it was dead in the water for me.
    TOR was actually more unique before testers demanded it become more WoW-like.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 10-22-2012 at 05:18 PM.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    I was going to come in here and whine about "why does this game even exist????" but then I read the article and it does sound pretty interesting, although I have the exact same concerns that have already been posted.

Still, no matter how good it turns out, I don't know if there will ever be a game worth a monthly fee for me again. We'll wait for the full game and see how it turns out.
    sup?

I am really enjoying the concept of being able to level up to max, solo. I enjoy playing with others, but I do like me some classical RPG style. I think the use of a megaserver sounds interesting, I hated playing WoW, when a friend would transfer off servers, and we were unable to play together after wards. I hope the game does use the same system guild wars 2 uses, the monthly fees are what is keeping me away from WoW, being a student its rare that I have hours to spend making my monthly subscription worth while. Im excited for this game, I look forward to its release =)

Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    I was going to come in here and whine about "why does this game even exist????" but then I read the article and it does sound pretty interesting, although I have the exact same concerns that have already been posted.

Still, no matter how good it turns out, I don't know if there will ever be a game worth a monthly fee for me again. We'll wait for the full game and see how it turns out.
    Maudren gets a gold star for being awesome.