Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laharl Returns in Disgaea D2

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Laharl Returns in Disgaea D2

Even though the mighty Overlord Laharl has been making a good living off of cameos for the last few years, he has never been able to recapture his glory as the main character. We can only guess that he got tired of that and conquered the NIS offices, because he is coming back to the limelight.

[Link]

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    hmnn this could be intersting

This is very cool. I loved the original cast and always felt like the characters of successive games didn't pull me in the same way.

Yeah the cast was pretty awesome in Disgaea 1. But they appeared in so many other games as joke characters that I'm just "Ewwwww" now when I see them. =/

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    ...I might actually buy a Disgaea game again after so many years.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'm getting a little burnt out on Disgaea games. But, I look forward to trying their Kami-sama game-because its different. I do love Laharl as a character, though. But I think I'm done with the item world.

Like Disgaea, one of my favourite series, so a new game is good news to me. I wonder if they'll play on the fact that he's shown up in so many other places or just pretend it never happened? I also wonder how they'll work in him losing his powers because he's been like level 1000 in subsequent appearances in games. I liked the original cast quite a bit, but I've also liked other characters in other games too. But I would be happy with the original game being redone with all the upgrades and fixes to the item world and stuff, so having a new story to go along with that makes me pretty excited.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Weren't there a couple of cellphone Disgaea games that understandably didn't come out here? I recall they made use of a "detached extremities" kind of look, a la Rayman, and the games themselves allowed you to equip body parts, resulting in things like Flonne's head with a Prinny body.

Not really sure how to feel about this. I loved the original Disgaea, but watched its main trio of characters grow increasingly stale and flat throughout their sequel cameos. Probably that's just the nature of cameos, and it would be difficult for them to have much depth. Still, it's hard for me to imagine these characters recapturing what made them dynamic, especially when D4's cast shined so much in comparison.

But, here I am, laboring over character development across the Disgaea series; I've probably missed the point.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Hmm... I'm done with these games personally. I'm sure it is good news though for the majority of Disgaea fans.

Only played the first one, but I'd give this a look if it gave just a bit more emphasis toward story/plot vs. gameplay.

I will totally buy this .... but I'm a collector (boardline hoarder) of video games.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    So just to confirm - when there were annoucements etc some months back that the dev team were working on Disgaea 5, this is it? (Even though it's technically not Disgaea 5, this is "that" game?)

So is this the game the Devs were saying is Disgaea 5, or is this something completely unrelated?
    Last edited by randal77; 10-23-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: TheAnimeMan knew what I was talking about
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by randal77 View Post
    So just to confirm - when there were annoucements etc some months back that the dev team were working on Disgaea 5, this is it? (Even though it's technically not Disgaea 5, this is "that" game?)
    I think you should phrase it more like "So is this the game the Devs were saying is Disgaea 5, or is this something completely unrelated?"
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    The best answer we have to that question is "most likely". There is no way to be 100% certain what a dev comment means, but I think it is safe to just call this the next proper Disgaea game.

As my online Avatar is Private Prinny since the very first game I am simply obliged to buy this when it hits "rest of world not including japan".

Despite the fact that I liked the mechanics from later games and some characters more than D1, when it comes to the whole cast I find the D1 cast the most memorable and the funniest. Also I will never forget that I just bought a new PAL PS2 back then and brought it straight to a shady backroom nerd to mod for about 100 € so that I could play the US Copy of Disgaea on it. Importing Niche games back then without a credit card was such a hassle.

Also one of my favourite moments of gaming history happened in this game. I only fell ONCE from my comfortable and sturdy gaming chair and that was because of Disgaea 1. It was the level where Laharl challenges every Demon to come at him and the whole map was full with demons as in "each tile sans some few arround the base full". I laughed a lot in three decades of gaming, but never that much that i fell from a chair other than this one moment.....

If Disgaea D2 is only half as crazy as D1 was back then - then this game will be simply awesome!

Day One Prepurchase for me. :-)

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randal77 View Post
    So is this the game the Devs were saying is Disgaea 5, or is this something completely unrelated?
    Oh, here we go. Just in case anyone was wondering the same thing I was...
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/23...-a-new-series/
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy

Awesome "researching" randal (collage joke). Thats pretty cool news honestly.

can never go wrong with more Laharl, Flonne, and Etna

Dammit NIS, gimme Disgaea 2D2 or something.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.