Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Interview with Naoki Yoshida

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Interview with Naoki Yoshida

The world of Final Fantasy XIV is facing impending doom in the next few months. Don't worry, though, as Eorzea will be reborn in 2013 with new visuals, content, and also on the PlayStation 3.

Interview
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

even if the fan service-y additions like the gold saucer and megitek armor are not going to be blatant, it's nice to know they want to include stuff that really reminds people of the series. The more I hear about it the more I look forward to it and will likely give it a go when it gets released. It's also nice to hear they're considering solo play because that's one of the things I heard about FFXI that turned me off. Needing to group to move forward in the game is aggravating sometimes.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Oh... don't remind me about that.

I played FFXI for a free month back when the game cost $5 on steam (summer of 2010). I started in Windurst, and, thanks to financial support and guidance from maryadavies, I was able to play and enjoy Rank 1 almost entirely solo, as an Elvaan White Mage. However, the moment I tried to press on into the area of the Tahrongi Canyon surround the Crag of Mea and attempted to level up there, I suddenly was blindsided by a change in enemy A.I. Back in the Sarutabaruta, unless they were aggressive enemies, other monsters would not gang up on me as I fought a single monster. Suddenly in the northern part of the canyon, the moment I engaged a single monster, every monster nearby would join in. I could no longer solo and ended my trial early after dying twice and going from level 15 to 13.

Great interview questions!
    I wonder if these changes will be enough to get people to the game...
    Also, I wonder just how much money SE has sunk into this game?
    Last edited by Slayer; 10-26-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: loco

I still have to wonder about the design decisions of the original game. On one end, they clearly copied FFXI (the classes are the same with different names), but it took out everything that made it Final Fantasy. Simply adding in classes in patch 1.21 was a great start for me. I don't think all the little FF references like the Golden Saucer are needed, just more FF staples. FFXIV 1.0 could have been EverQuest III for anyone who didn't know FFXI's races.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Having played FFXIV beta and the official release for a short while, I want to remain cautiously excited. However, the more I read about the changes and see the changes they've been making, it gets harder and harder to hold my excitement down. So I admit, I'm dying to jump back into Eorzea at the risk of feeling disappointed again.

It should be important to note that the 1.0 and 2.0 clients are built on completely different concepts. Tanaka's 1.0 world was intended to be a player built world, but simply never had enough development time to be completed. Yoshi's 2.0 world works on most of the current standard MMO concepts. In this case, the original concept of 'player built community' remains intact, but takes the form of instanced towns (100 plots per town last time I read). Then throw in the monster breeding etc etc.

Of course the other most significant change is that by moving to 2.0, the entire core engine has been replaced. 1.0's engine was so bad that the game was doomed no matter how good it might have been. Tanaka should not be blamed for that. He was working with crappy hardware. Regional servers have been confirmed, so you can expect response time to be excellent.

I'm confident that any undecided players will have many of their remaining concerns alleviated once the YouTube videos start showing up.
    Alpha starts next week. First two weeks are Japan only. Second two weeks are NA/EU invites. Then beta begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    Oh... don't remind me about that.

I played FFXI for a free month back when the game cost $5 on steam (summer of 2010). I started in Windurst, and, thanks to financial support and guidance from maryadavies, I was able to play and enjoy Rank 1 almost entirely solo, as an Elvaan White Mage. However, the moment I tried to press on into the area of the Tahrongi Canyon surround the Crag of Mea and attempted to level up there, I suddenly was blindsided by a change in enemy A.I. Back in the Sarutabaruta, unless they were aggressive enemies, other monsters would not gang up on me as I fought a single monster. Suddenly in the northern part of the canyon, the moment I engaged a single monster, every monster nearby would join in. I could no longer solo and ended my trial early after dying twice and going from level 15 to 13.
    so you gave up because you sucked/the game was too hard for you basically?

first off monster that link (i.e gang up on you) only applies to monsters of THAT type.. i.,.e if you attack a worm, only the other worms near it who see it (or are close enough to hear it) will attack, no birds or monsters of OTHER types will join in (unless theyre naturally aggressive/predatory and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time)... so no "every monster nearby" would NOT join in

So avoid that problem like I said they only join in if theyre close enough to see it or hear it... so depending on what the monster links too (sight or sound) to avoid that problem if theyre in a group you wait til its friend turns its back then attack the one behind it and run it off somewhere solitary thus separated from the group so you can fight it one on one without interference and without worrying about the other guy turning around and seeing you because youd have took the fight out of his range of vision, if the monster DOESNT link by sight but instead by sound tehn those are a bit trickier to pull off, but instead you attack when theyre far away from eachother as not to hear you attack its "friend" and then again run it off even further so you can fight one one one.. rinse, repeat, until all dead.

o yeah nothing simple trial and error couldnt solve and I dont know a single person whod have lost 2 full levels before finally figuring out how that worked... that means you had to die at least 15+ times.... well before I sat around and died 15+ times I woulda asked someone what the heck was going on and have it explained to me if I hadnt/couldnt figure it out by then

Quote Originally Posted by duomaxwell007 View Post
    o yeah nothing simple trial and error couldnt solve and I dont know a single person whod have lost 2 full levels before finally figuring out how that worked... that means you had to die at least 15+ times.... well before I sat around and died 15+ times I woulda asked someone what the heck was going on and have it explained to me if I hadnt/couldnt figure it out by then
    I died three times, not fifteen. I had an auto-life to get me back up, and then a high level goblin blindsided me. I was then revived by a passerby. As I tried to leave the area, I was again ambushed by a goblin. I did not have enough defensive stats to stand up to them, plain and simple.

Again, though, I'm not sure what exactly happened. It's been over two years. Also, I swear I was being attacked by two worms and a bee type enemy at once... Again, my memory is not very clear. I also was not planning to play FFXI to completion. I just wanted to complete the first story rank and get past level 10, which I did. I just wanted to experience XI in some capacity, since I've played and completed every other entry in the series beside it and now XIV.
    Last edited by Clix; 10-25-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    even if the fan service-y additions like the gold saucer and megitek armor are not going to be blatant, it's nice to know they want to include stuff that really reminds people of the series. The more I hear about it the more I look forward to it and will likely give it a go when it gets released. It's also nice to hear they're considering solo play because that's one of the things I heard about FFXI that turned me off. Needing to group to move forward in the game is aggravating sometimes.
    that was in the past.. FFXI is so solo friendly now for the last 3 years it makes WOW look hardcore.. you can completely solo from 1 to max level in FFXI now with zero difficulty whatsoever (unlike in the past where solo WAS possible but it took some skill and was MUCH harder work... now the game however has been severely casualized, to the point that it may as well be a single player game... so yeah if you played FFXI now youd be fine). I mean heck in the past in FFXI when you grouped you only grouped in parties of 6 and fought one monster at a time because trying to take on more would most likely end badly... now you fight in groups of 18 and can take down 20+ monsters at a time in under a minute.... you can literally get from level 30 to 99 in one sitting at that rate if you really wanted too.. if you didnt have that kinda time though it could still be done in a week.. whereas in the past it took me a full year to hit max level on my first character (i quickened it to a month after I had a year of experience and knew what I was doing.. but now its so stupidly easy even a braindead moron who just started and has no clue what they're doing could hit max level in a week. So again if you wanted to start now youd be perfectly ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NefarioCall View Post
    It should be important to note that the 1.0 and 2.0 clients are built on completely different concepts. Tanaka's 1.0 world was intended to be a player built world, but simply never had enough development time to be completed. Yoshi's 2.0 world works on most of the current standard MMO concepts. In this case, the original concept of 'player built community' remains intact, but takes the form of instanced towns (100 plots per town last time I read). Then throw in the monster breeding etc etc.

Of course the other most significant change is that by moving to 2.0, the entire core engine has been replaced. 1.0's engine was so bad that the game was doomed no matter how good it might have been. Tanaka should not be blamed for that. He was working with crappy hardware. Regional servers have been confirmed, so you can expect response time to be excellent.

I'm confident that any undecided players will have many of their remaining concerns alleviated once the YouTube videos start showing up.
    Alpha starts next week. First two weeks are Japan only. Second two weeks are NA/EU invites. Then beta begins.

instanced towns? are you saying not everyone will exist in the same town at the same time? for exanmple me and my friend are in a city but not grouped... although were in the same city I may not see him because he sin a difference instance of that city? if so that s a step backwards I mean really how many MMOs do THAT? other than cheap free to play ones?

you wouldnt have went from level 15 to 13 in 3 deaths >.>

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Hey, keep the aggressive sounding comments to a minimum please.

One of the things that Clix mentioned that is possibly one of the only things keeping me from playing it is that leveling down crap. Who does that in a RPG? There's absolutely no point for that to even exist IMO, unless of course it worked like RO where you leveled down when you advanced a class.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Hey, keep the aggressive sounding comments to a minimum please.

One of the things that Clix mentioned that is possibly one of the only things keeping me from playing it is that leveling down crap. Who does that in a RPG? There's absolutely no point for that to even exist IMO, unless of course it worked like RO where you leveled down when you advanced a class.
    the only aggressive sounding comment Ive made was my first reply to clix... the other post were "aggression" free unless im missing something heh. As for leveling down.. I never understood the "hate" for that... so youre saying if you had 1000 exp.. and died and kept losing exp until you now had 0 exp.. thats completely fine... but leveling down crosses the line? the way I look at it is Im ok with losing exp then I should be ok with leveling down if I lose too much since technically my exp is what causes me to level... thus if i lossed too much it only makes sense that I would reduce in level too.

Let's say spells were attached to a specific level, and you gain that level and thus the spell. Leveling down would mean you just LOST that spell, which is just utterly ridiculous because once you learn something you can't unlearn it that fast.
    User Database Check

I'm still unsure if I'll seperate entirely from FFXI this time. With Seekers of Adoulin coming in 2013, I kinda want to stick around for FFXI's last hurrah. Speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Let's say spells were attached to a specific level, and you gain that level and thus the spell. Leveling down would mean you just LOST that spell, which is just utterly ridiculous because once you learn something you can't unlearn it that fast.
    Spells in FFXI required two things: The correct job level, and in most cases, a single use scroll that actually added the magic to the overall spell list (Not counting additional conditions on certain jobs). If you lacked the required job level, the spell becomes uncastable. This could be because you delevelled, but also bear in mind that FFXI's job system means that it's perfectly possible to have a huge list of spells, but be unable to cast them because you're not on the required job at the time.

Prior to around May 2011, I believe the EXP lost on death was 10% of the required EXP to next level. After May 2011, no exp is lost below level 30, 31-67 lose 8%, and 68+ loose 2,400 exactly. Being resurrected restores 50% of the EXP lost at minimum.

This has been your friendly neighbourhood Mithra on EXP mechanics in a ten year old MMORPG.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

That sounds much more manageable Quin. Then again, I've played F2P MMOs where the most you lost was 5% tnl, and that was ALWAYS a pain to get back, especially at endgame...
    User Database Check

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    So how does a "player-built world" in an MMO work?

I really like the idea of people entering an instanced dungeon and when the screen fades back in from black, there is someone else there to help you. That is an excellent idea for an "expansion on solo play."

I think that adding in Magitek armor and stuff is what they should have been aiming for in the first place with a brand new Final Fantasy MMO. It's not fan service if it's part of the game play. Having sexy bikini costumes for your characters, the Puff Puff parlor in Dragon Quest VIII, characters suddenly dropping references to other games, the poster of Tifa in Xenogears; Those are all fan service. Limit breaks, white mages, The Gold Saucer, and Magitek Armor SHOULD all affect the gameplay in some way and shouldn't really be called fan service in my opinion.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

that was in the past.. FFXI is so solo friendly now for the last 3 years it makes WOW look hardcore.. you can completely solo from 1 to max level in FFXI now with zero difficulty whatsoever (unlike in the past where solo WAS possible but it took some skill and was MUCH harder work... now the game however has been severely casualized, to the point that it may as well be a single player game... so yeah if you played FFXI now youd be fine). I mean heck in the past in FFXI when you grouped you only grouped in parties of 6 and fought one monster at a time because trying to take on more would most likely end badly... now you fight in groups of 18 and can take down 20+ monsters at a time in under a minute.... you can literally get from level 30 to 99 in one sitting at that rate if you really wanted too.. if you didnt have that kinda time though it could still be done in a week.. whereas in the past it took me a full year to hit max level on my first character (i quickened it to a month after I had a year of experience and knew what I was doing.. but now its so stupidly easy even a braindead moron who just started and has no clue what they're doing could hit max level in a week. So again if you wanted to start now youd be perfectly ok.
    This is what disappoints me about FFXI now. I actually liked the hardcore nature of the game before abbysa and all the fixes that came along with it and to me that new stuff just broke the game. I liked taking my time, laughing when the party made a mistake and got killed and doing missions with friends. All of this dried up the minute that game got those easy mode mixes...

FFVI v2 sorta interests me but we'll see since some of what came out in the news stories might not interest me(honestly I want to try it out at least). Also I don't have alot of time for MMOs anymore as I always seem to be running off to one RL place or another which leaves me playing on portables like my 3DS all the time...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

instanced towns? are you saying not everyone will exist in the same town at the same time? for exanmple me and my friend are in a city but not grouped... although were in the same city I may not see him because he sin a difference instance of that city? if so that s a step backwards I mean really how many MMOs do THAT? other than cheap free to play ones?
    Getting back on topic here... and sorry for the late reply.

The main cities are one place.
    You'll be there with everyone else who's there.

First off, here's how towns work:

You'll go to a place where you can buy land. It'll come in three sizes, small, medium, and large. You'll be brought to a UI screen that displays the town zone and where all the plots are. Think of it like choosing a server. There'll be a list, (Town A), (Town B), (Town C) etc. The layout is NOT linear. It's a real ZONE, like for example, the Limsa Zone has a beach and a big monument in the background. Each Plot of land has it's own particular character and view. Lets say you bring up (Town A). Maybe 60/100 plots are already owned. The one you REALLY want is taken. okay, so you bring up (Town B). 45/100 are already owned there and the one you want is available. Done deal. Buy it. You and your friend can both buy in Town B if you like and be neighbours too.

NOW, from there, you build your house. Either you craft it yourself or you can hire other players to craft it for you. Or you can also craft other peoples houses. Pick your roof style, color, siding, all that good stuff. The house will be your own. In this way, the house on the same plot of land in (Town A) will look totally different from the one in (Town B). At this point there has been no mention of if you can freely roam all the towns including the ones you don't own land in. But for sure you can be in your own, and everyone else who lives there is in it too. You can interact with them and visit their houses. The inside is also customizable. Wall paintings chairs, tables, etc etc. Yoshi says that new décors will constantly be added through updates. You also have a backyard. You can do things like plant a garden or build a chocobo stable and raise chocobos. Not just one. Yoshi mentioned at least 4.

In addition, this is not a one room house. It's a FULL HOME. Maybe the small one is one room, i dunno, but the bigger sizes have multiple rooms. Also, ... there are Free Companies.

These are not linkshells/chat channels in the casual sense. This is 4 players getting together, and starting a business. Your business levels up in its own UI as you work at it (goods and services etc). You can buy a bigger plot of land to be your Free Company HQ with lots of rooms. Also, you can form an alliance with another free company and become a group of 8 and so on. Buy land next door if you like.

So that's how that works.

regarding the open world of the game, Quest Based levelling is obviously in place, but they are also working to implement the 'live event' type content found in Guild Wars 2. Content finder is available for instanced dungeons, but there is also a level sync in place, so you'll never out-level the dungeon. You can set gear to each job and quickly change entire gear sets with your job in seconds. Gear that is set to any of these does not take up room in your inventory. For crafting you can access anything you've already made or discovered from your book and begin at a click. For stuff that is well below your level you can one click complete it or craft by the stack instead of one at a time. Gathering will bring up a UI window with all the available items at that gathering spot and you use the 'mini'game' to maximize your odds of digging up the item you choose to try and gather.

There's also jumping and like it or not, going to be a ridiculous number of mounts (eg WoW).

The often referred to Crystal Tower appears to be an end game content that will be completed over time.
    So new patches will probably include additional floors.

There's more, but my brain has had enough for now. XD
    Last edited by NefarioCall; 10-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.