Thread: Dragon Quest VII Finds Extra Dimension

Dragon Quest VII Finds Extra Dimension

Square Enix is bringing yet another Dragon Quest remake to a Nintendo portable system. This time, characters will be in 3D both in-game and on the 3DS screen.

Story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit here goes to Tiael:

Man, my favorite DQ and one of my favorite games of all time is being remade for the 3DS and releasing in only 4 months in Japan.
    Hopefully SE or NoA decide to publish it here.

http://www.japanator.com/dragon-ques...s--27150.phtml

http://i.imgur.com/M9fyY.jpg
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 10-31-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Awesome. I'm in the minority that actually liked this game too.

I kind of liked DQ7, and it was one of the last PS1 games that I devoted time to. But I had a lot of complaints:

1. Finding the shards needed to access new areas was often tedious.
    2. The story seemed downright morose at times. (For instance, remember the town plagued with Hellvine infestation?)
    3. I liked some of the characters, but I could not find Maribel to be sympathetic.
    4. Even though I'm okay with slow pacing at times, at times it seemed to take forever to progress to the next event. There's a frustrating, difficult section just before the Shrine of Dhama.
    5. Before class change is possible, the party has few abilities. Afterwards, there are more options, but the game doesn't make it clear how to unlock new abilities.
    6. The translation was decent at times, but it sometimes had incoherent phrasing or needless "sophisticated" words. If the planned 3DS version gets localized, this is one thing that can definitely be improved.

I bought this back in 2006 or something right after I played Dragon Quest VIII, thinking "well, DQVIII was awesome, so all Dragon Quest games must be awesome, right?"

No.

Oh come on already Square-Enix!!! Just give us a proper current Gen (Wii doesn't count) Dragon Quest game. Preferably on PS3. :/
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

I wish they would stop with the remakes and get busy with the first current gen Dragon Quest for PS3.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

That won't happen, considering it's always gone to the system with the highest install base.
    DQXI will likely be on the 3DS as well, but it will probably be more proper than DQIX with it's MMO elements.

At this point, unless the Wii U or next gen PS does extremely well, I don't see another mainline DQ being on them.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'm actually very interested in this if it comes out here. I tried playing the original VII, but I just couldn't get over the horrid graphics and glacial pace. Interested to see how both are handled in the remake.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Tiael View Post
    That won't happen, considering it's always gone to the system with the highest install base.
    DQXI will likely be on the 3DS as well, but it will probably be more proper than DQIX with it's MMO elements.

At this point, unless the Wii U or next gen PS does extremely well, I don't see another mainline DQ being on them.
    Exactly...and on top of that, Nintendo seems to have DQ firmly in its grasp right now.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar
    It only found half an extra dimension. The original version of DQ7 was a 2.5D game (2D characters on 3D backgrounds). Though in the original version, battles were strictly 2D affairs (they are 3D now).

I need an excuse to buy a 3DS, this could be the one, depending on the review, I'm more of a fan of rune factory than harvest moon which I heard to be buggy anyway and Fire Emblem is so darn far away. The new Dragonquest-could that be the one with a slime as the main character? Looked awesome but I knew it's unlikely to be localized anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I need an excuse to buy a 3DS, this could be the one, depending on the review, I'm more of a fan of rune factory than harvest moon which I heard to be buggy anyway and Fire Emblem is so darn far away. The new Dragonquest-could that be the one with a slime as the main character? Looked awesome but I knew it's unlikely to be localized anytime soon.
    Unlikely we will get the one with the slime. And THIS is not that game
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I have been waiting SO long for this moment. I was hoping years ago that it would be the DS, and I knew this remake was going to happen eventually, given the trend with the remakes of all the previous games. 3DS, I'm not so thrilled about, but this is hands-down my all time favorite Dragon Quest game. I love it to pieces (shards?).

I literally check RPGamer daily with 'is the DQ7 remake announced yet?' question hanging in the back of my mind. I'm posting here for the first time just to vent my excitement. I am PSYCHED.

As much as I love the original, it had some problems, and I hope SE has the decency to change a few things:

1. I'll start with me least-important hopeful change. Shard aqcuisition. Finding shards is fine, but missing shards and having no idea where they are? Super annoying. Yes, we've got a fortune teller to help us out, but I'd like to see a *little* bit more specific hints at times.

2. Immigrant town. So basically, it becomes insanely hard to get the required immigrants for your town once you start gathering the last two or so, IIRC. In fact, it is almost impossible to find immigrants at all even with turbo speed walking in-and-out of a building where they magically appear at their spawn points. I did this for hours and hours and never saw a single one. The idea is that you have royally screwed yourself over if you accepted the permanent immigrants earlier. The game never warns you, you're just screwed and that's it. Any hopes and dreams you may have had are shattered. Let's reform immigration policy by allowing immigrants to come in after a certain point, ok? Thank you, President. I'd also like to be able to social engineer more than two types of towns. in a single playthrough.

3. As much as I love having a BILLION CLASSES AND MONSTER CLASSES, they take BILLIONS OF YEARS to master. Human classes have a perfect leveling speed - you can get the third tier and hero classes by fairly normal leveling over the course of the game. But monster classes are just screwed royally. It takes twice as much time to get just mediocre classes. By the time your monster class character reaches something useful, you could have feasibly mastered ALL of the human classes. That is just plain bad design and you know it, Enix *GLARE*. Fix it, jerks. Lower the amount of battles needed to master crappy monster jobs. There is no reason I should suffer hundreds of battles to master Hork.

4. Monster heart drops. You know what is not fun? Grinding for a billion hours to get a heart. What's even worse is grinding for hours to get a heart when it's not possible for them to drop yet, despite the fact that they *should* be able to. Many a perfectionist tried to get their BoltRat heart after Dharma only to waste hours and never get a drop. It's not because it's so unlikely. It's because it's literally impossible to get hearts to drop until a certain point in the game (monster ranch). Due to a severe lack of accurate FAQs, no one knew this for years. We all (perfectionists) suffered greatly and wondered why God hated us so much. It's because there was no hope for us. There was no drop. It was a horrible lie. Fix these problems or I will NOT be playing this game. Ok, that last bit was a lie.

5. Useless and bugged skills. As all DQ7 fans know, it has a helluva lot of useless, redundant and unbalanced skills. I don't mind having lots of skills, but I think they should be balanced a bit. Some that have random effects should have much higher chances of landing. I'm actually okay with useless skills that are simply amusing, but not so much if they aren't amusing.

6. Hybrid skills, the bane of every perfectionist. It is far too hard to obtain them. This needs a serious rehaul. Also, I love my sword dance, but it needs to be nerfed, sorry. I don't like any skill that basically is the best skill ever and can be obtained so early and easily. It needs to miss more or something, I don't know.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it. No DQ game in my opinion has such an incredibly detailed world as DQ7. There are just tons and tons of towns with so many people with their own unique struggles. And how all the landmasses come together and form continents, new places to explore and more hidden, mysterious ruins... it's just amazing and epic. I love the graphics, too, btdubs. They're charming. Some of the plot-lines were genuinely moving.

I can't wait. So excited. Eeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by bmesick View Post
    2. Immigrant town. So basically, it becomes insanely hard to get the required immigrants for your town once you start gathering the last two or so, IIRC. In fact, it is almost impossible to find immigrants at all even with turbo speed walking in-and-out of a building where they magically appear at their spawn points. I did this for hours and hours and never saw a single one. The idea is that you have royally screwed yourself over if you accepted the permanent immigrants earlier. The game never warns you, you're just screwed and that's it. Any hopes and dreams you may have had are shattered. Let's reform immigration policy by allowing immigrants to come in after a certain point, ok? Thank you, President. I'd also like to be able to social engineer more than two types of towns. in a single playthrough.
    Well they added a similar immigrant town(/boom town) to the PSX remake of DQIV, and then changed it to an optional tag mode feature in the DS remake.

So I imagine that they will use the town in some sort of StreetPass feature on the 3DS, although maybe not the only element which effects the town's type.