Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pier Solar HD Kickstarted

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Pier Solar HD Kickstarted

Interested in the 16 bit-style RPG Pier Solar, but don't have a Sega Genesis? WaterMelon Co. is giving gamers the chance to fund a version in HD.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Hmm, maybe I'll put down the money for a digital copy

The question is: Is it worth it?

"Checks ebay"

Yup, definitely worth it

I originally was interested in that game, but it was sold for an extremely high price (I think it was like $60?) that made me to not want to support the game or the developers at all. The game looks like a game I'd pay 10€ or 15€ for, but not more.

I ended up buying a cart of this for a friend's birthday, and he absolutely loved it. Definitely going to put some towards this to get a PC copy for myself.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    I think I'm going to have to back this one too. I've been interested in it since I first heard about it years ago, but I never got around to ordering it. A PC edition suits me just fine, plus the concept art for the HD upgrade looks excellent
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I have the Genesis version sealed and plan on getting the Dreamcast CE to keep sealed as well. I do hope they rework their pledge levels to incorporate a digital copy version. I'd probably get the Xbox one then.

Another gem for the 360, but not the PS3.
    Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    Another gem for the 360, but not the PS3.
    Bummer.
    I seriously doubt that it's going to be that memory intensive. Even a low-end PC should be able to run it fine. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I could run it on my bloody netbook.

It's a 16-bit RPG. Even with an HD upgrade, it's still going to run on Dreamcast, so any PC made in the last ten years should be fine.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I'm actually interested but I don't know about any of the levels higher than just a copy of the game. Soundtracks are nice, but what's the sound like on an old school type game? And something about figurines or something, but what are they of? Hmmm....I think I just want a copy to play on my PC. like a steam copy or something, but I suppose I could see why someone might go for some of the slightly higher tiers.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

When we first sat down to conceptualize Pier Solar HD, one of our initial goals was to adapt the new HD art direction with our preexisting 16-bit gameplay. We did this by merging the rich charm of retro sprites with crisp HD backgrounds. The sharp blend of each art style unites to provide an enchanting, aesthetic atmosphere never before seen. Sure, other developers have made "modernized" retro, pixel based games - but as far as we know, never before has a game been developed entirely with a mixture of both art styles, from beginning to end.
    Laziness is a feature!

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Yeah, those screenshots are amazing... there's like two or three different resolutions going on in there. It really captures that 'oh **** I can't find any matching tilesets **** it who cares' feeling of an RPGmaker game but I don't think they were going for that.

Anyway that's my contractually obliged cynicism out of the way. Back to ignoring this before the term '16-bit' loses all meaning.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    This is one to watch when it comes out. Could be fun, I love my 16 bit RPG's.

-Kel

Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post
    Yeah, those screenshots are amazing... there's like two or three different resolutions going on in there. It really captures that 'oh **** I can't find any matching tilesets **** it who cares' feeling of an RPGmaker game but I don't think they were going for that.

Anyway that's my contractually obliged cynicism out of the way. Back to ignoring this before the term '16-bit' loses all meaning.
    You pretty much captured why I'm only willing to pay 10€ for it. If it was a real "Shining" game it would be a different story.

thinking about going for $15 and hope it works on ubuntu...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Apparently all versions are going to include the original, 100% 16-bit versions of the game that can be unlocked by finding a special item very early on. For those cynics out there who absolutely must have their 16-bit graphics pure and unspoiled by monstrous modern technology :P
    Follow me on Twitter

In for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Apparently all versions are going to include the original, 100% 16-bit versions of the game that can be unlocked by finding a special item very early on. For those cynics out there who absolutely must have their 16-bit graphics pure and unspoiled by monstrous modern technology :P
    Well, they should put in an item that makes everything HD as well. I don't care about pure, unspoiled 16-bit graphics, if anything the 16-bit graphics are spoiling the nice HD backgrounds. I just don't think the clash of art styles work at all.

I'm not going to back this on kickstarter, but I might pick it up in the future if I ever hear feedback I trust more positive than 'it's a bit boring', and they don't in the meantime decide they're only going to release on a floppy disc or something.

They're in HD from the start. You need to find the special item to activate 16-bit mode.

The Genesis and Dreamcast versions have only the 16-bit mode. Neither of those are available for $15.

I know, I meant one that made the non-HD parts HD as well. It was a not-funny joke.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I agree with you, Mr. Hammer. If the Kickstarter gets funded, perhaps the fans will convince them to make some nice HD sprites, too.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance