Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Home Gaming

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll - Home Gaming

For home RPGs, what's your platform of choice?
    PC
    Wii
    PS3
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Before I vote, does this refer only to the console itself or also to the available of good RPGs?

For example if I think the 360 is most suited to play RPGs, but the Wii has better RPGs available, should I vote 360 or Wii?

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I chose the PS3, but that's because I've been playing more RPGs on it than anywhere else as of right now.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Like Rya said, this is a bit of an ambiguous question. Are we allowed to include backwards compatibility? Is the question asking us which system we spend the most time on, or which one has the better games? What if we'd rather play on the PS3 because we don't want to experience another 360 hardware issue but the games are exclusive or simply unavailable to rent on the PS3?

PS3 would be the winner for me if we counted most of the above scenarios. However, I interpret the poll to be something along the lines of which system do you prefer for current generation RPGs. The answer I'd pick is the Xbox360, because it has or held exclusivity at one point to some of my favorite titles while still granting me access to all the RPGs I'd really want to play from the PS3 aside from Tales of Graces F.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    dudes, it's a sidebar poll that we switched just for the sake of having new poll. pick your thing and wait for the thread to derail into the tiresome rote of the 7th console war.

Another prime example of overthinking something.

My console of choice is the 360. Because it's the only current gen console I have. And that's what I play nearly all of my RPG's on. It may not be the best choice for RPG's, although that's become less black and white in the last year, but that's not really the question.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.

360. I find I only have a smattering of games for the Wii (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem), and I never picked up the PS3 due to the majority of the games I was interested in being on the Xbox as well. No PC gaming - I want to relax on the couch, not be behind the computer MORE when I come home from work!

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    I voted 360 because my PC situation is rather unique. My PC is hooked up to my TV in my den, and I play PC games with an Xbox 360 controller.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Even if it's just a sidebar poll the question should still be clear. =p

Oh well, I'll just evaluate all system:
    360 - I like to play RPG on it and there are also plenty of good RPGs available for it, even on XBLA.
    PS3 - I only really like Tales of Graces on it (and some old PSX classics like Arc The Lad), but don't really like to play my RPGs on it. I see PS3 more suitable for online play because you don't have to pay a monthly fee unlike 360. So by default I'd always buy games for 360, but if it has online functionality, I'd go for PS3 instead.
    Wii - Has the best games this generation, however, most of them aren't RPGs. Also the controls on the Wii are awful. Even if you get a classic controller, it's a pretty horrible controller.
    PC - I like to play my MMORPGs here because it's easiest to type messages. Otherwise I prefer consoles due to better gamepad support.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    For RPGs now my preferred system is the PS3, the 360 still gets most of the non-RPGs (sports games, Forza, Halo) having previously been the RPG system of choice when Vesperia, Magna Carta II etc. were floating around on it. While the Wii does include Xenoblade, it doesn't exactly have many of them. My laptop is rubbish so gets used mostly for Football Manager (unless I get an RPG to review that doesn't require high specs to enjoy fully)
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

First of all, Xenoblade.

Second, when it comes right down to it, I've spent more time playing RPGs on the Wii than the others, and those hours were more quality hours than those spent on the others. Plus the Wii gave me backward compatibility access to the GameCube, a console I never owned. Between Baten Kaitos, Symphonia, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Arc Rise Fantasia, Xenoblade, and Last Story, the other consoles don't have quite enough to pull ahead.

Then again, maybe more hours spent with the others will change my mind. I'll be playing catch-up with this gen for a few years yet, as I've got a depressing backlog of games on all three of the options I didn't vote for. But then again, I predict none will exceed the experience of Xenoblade by itself; and even with XB out of the equation, there were just too many good-to-great experiences had on the Wii for its more technically powerful rivals to overtake it.

For JRPGs? Playstation
    For WRPGs? PC

Hmm. Of course, that "Playstation" is more like PS2. Haven't been nearly as many console (compared to handheld) JRPGs this gen.

(do not have a Wii, 360, or any handheld.)

Honestly, if it weren't for the Wii's unique controls, I'd probably buy one on the cheap just to download classic Nintendo and SNES titles, maybe even full Wii releases if they put those games on their network.

*lol Nyx Quest. Bet she'd like that.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-08-2012 at 07:31 PM.

You don't need to waggle for those; get a classic controller (or plug in a Gamecube one)

PS3 for JRPGs
    PC for WRPGs

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Question for people who said PS3 for JRPGs and PC for WRPGs... would you say PC for everything if those JRPGs came out for PC? (Usually the WRPGs are multi-platform, and you've chosen PC for them, which is why I'm curious.)

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

But many JRPGs aren't designed to be played with mouse so the controls will suck by default. Think of Dungeon Siege 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Question for people who said PS3 for JRPGs and PC for WRPGs... would you say PC for everything if those JRPGs came out for PC? (Usually the WRPGs are multi-platform, and you've chosen PC for them, which is why I'm curious.)
    Heck yeah.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    But many JRPGs aren't designed to be played with mouse so the controls will suck by default. Think of Dungeon Siege 3.
    90% of PC games these days include native controller support. That's a non-issue.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I disagree. There's a HUUUUGE difference between a game that is designed to be played with gamepad and a game that has gamepad support.

For example compare Phantasy Star Online with any other MMORPG with gamepad support. Completely different worlds.