Thread: The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play This Week

The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play This Week

Players now no longer need to pay money to the Empire to make Star Wars quips. In response, the Empire has instituted a tax for sprinting.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I heard it's not worth it because free players are too restricted.

Depends on what you want out of the F2P experience. If you want to hit max level doing solo content, you should be fine with the F2P, as it includes the full story arc for every class. If you're more interested in PVP or endgame raids/dungeons, then you'll either be limited in how many you can do each week, or need to spend some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Yeah, I read all the restrictions on the game, and I have to admit, this is one of the most restricted Free-to-Play game I see. I really don't get the whole Free-to-play model in this case. They would have been better off going with a GW2-like model.

It's similar to other ones from games going F2P after being P2P, such as Everquest's and the now defunct City of Heroes. I agree, it's more limiting than it should be. I do hope it revitalizes the game, however, being one of those who's at the endgame and would like to see more interesting content developed for it.

I wonder if such payment models really give so much more money then let's say just making the game completely free, still offering a good service and just asking for donations. All these kickstarter entries than easily get >$10000 for even a small indie game make it seem that they are indeed many people who like to pay more when it's voluntary.

F2P usually revitalizes a MMO to the point it can remain active. I'm not aware of any AAA games living on donations alone, but I'll be shocked if EA has enough goodwill to get donations.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-13-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Perhaps more accurately, F2P has the potential to be more profitable. Moreover, in a 'F2P from the start' you generally only need 1-3% of your playerbase to be paying every 30-60 days to start seeing profit -- that runs the gamut of the person who flips you 5 bucks every couple months to the other end of the spectrum where players are spending hundreds every week. And yes, those people exist.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I wonder if such payment models really give so much more money then let's say just making the game completely free, still offering a good service and just asking for donations. All these kickstarter entries than easily get >$10000 for even a small indie game make it seem that they are indeed many people who like to pay more when it's voluntary.
    Actual experiments with "pay what you like" models show that it just doesn't work, especially not in the long term and most especially not if you're a group or company that is seen as already having plenty of money, aka EA.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I see that it won't work with famous companies I guess.

For me EA is probably the most money greedy company ever.

From what I've seen, you want to sell convenience and customization, such as fancy hats or xp boosts. Walling off aspects of your game tend to turn people away. For example, to use purple grade items in SWTOR you'll have to buy a license. I'm entirely decked out in purple gear, so if I wasn't paying, or hadn't bought a license, it'd be unusable by me. I'm curious if they'll grandfather in gear like that, or if I were to lapse in paying, if it would pop off my character like it did in Everquest 2.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I see that it won't work with famous companies I guess.

For me EA is probably the most money greedy company ever.
    They're a greedy company because they aren't giving you enough free content in a game you don't have to pay for that costs them a lot to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    They're a greedy company because they aren't giving you enough free content in a game you don't have to pay for that costs them a lot to run?
    Not only that. When they release a game they usually want you to pay for it AND additionally pay a monthly fee. That monthly fee is usually also more expensive than the common monthly fees in MMORPGs. And when they turn F2P, their MMORPGs are the most limited on free mode of all MMORPGs that turned F2P. It really makes you feel they only care about money.
    There are more factors for example forced online and prices of add-ons and stuff.

Not exactly a secret, is it? Although Capcom is working hard to supplant them.

Yeah, it's commonly known. In fact many companies turned pretty focused on money only lately. Makes me not want to buy any games from larger companies anymore.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    What? I would say that getting the equivalent content of like 8 kotor games for free is pretty darn worth it, regardless of the restrictions on multiplayer content.

For perspective, kotor1 and 2 had zero multiplayer content.

Yeah i think its worth it personally. I cant wait to dive into this 300 million dollar game tomorrow. For free.
    sup?