Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Staff Review - Ragnarok Odyssey

  1. #1
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,484

    Staff Review - Ragnarok Odyssey

    Dark Souls already used the phrase "prepare to die," so Ragnarok Odyssey will have to settle for "prepare to die against a giant monster while wearing a poring hat." In retrospect, fighting a giant poring would have been really impressive.

    Review
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  2. #2
    Member Ryumoau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    155
    dang, wasn't expecting it to get that score. i kinda wish i had waited because theres a demo for it coming out later today. I bought it day 1 though because all my psn friends were talking it up. While i think its okay in small does (20 minute sessions), the gameplay gets very repetitive and i'm disappointed by how terrible the story is.
    Haven't tried multiplayer in it yet. Maybe that will make me feel like it didn't completely waste $40 on it. :/
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

  3. #3
    Member pcaballe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    95
    Game Arts hasn't had its crap together since Grandia 2...Dreamcast Edition. These are the Lunar people folks. Step it back up guys!
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

  4. #4
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    dang, wasn't expecting it to get that score. i kinda wish i had waited because theres a demo for it coming out later today. I bought it day 1 though because all my psn friends were talking it up. While i think its okay in small does (20 minute sessions), the gameplay gets very repetitive and i'm disappointed by how terrible the story is.
    Haven't tried multiplayer in it yet. Maybe that will make me feel like it didn't completely waste $40 on it. :/
    Multiplayer does make it much more enjoyable.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcaballe View Post
    Game Arts hasn't had its crap together since Grandia 2...Dreamcast Edition. These are the Lunar people folks. Step it back up guys!
    Sadly, Game Arts without Studio Alex just isn't the same.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  5. #5
    Member Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    648
    The time limit on missions is a turn-off.
    Thanks for your review.

  6. #6
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,941
    You're not doing a very good job selling me a Vita, Mac.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

  7. #7
    I don't like overly-hard RPGs, so I'll definitely pass on this.

  8. #8
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    The time limit on missions is a turn-off.
    Thanks for your review.
    I usually don't either, but I don't think I ever even came close to not finishing a mission on time. I'd either beat it or die, so time was never the problem for me at least.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  9. #9
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Multiplayer does make it much more enjoyable.
    Yeah I've switched to just going straight to multiplayer when I get to a boss and it has increased my enjoyment significantly.

  10. #10
    It seems repetition is the main problem which I don't always generally mind. I'm really on the fence of whether I want this game or not.

    I'm probably getting a Vita pretty soon. Hopefully there's a demo I can try(can't recall if I saw one in the US PSN store)

  11. #11
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yeah I've switched to just going straight to multiplayer when I get to a boss and it has increased my enjoyment significantly.
    The only problem is when you get to bosses are the harder in MP...mainly because of crappy players.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    U.S. West Coast
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    It seems repetition is the main problem which I don't always generally mind. I'm really on the fence of whether I want this game or not.

    I'm probably getting a Vita pretty soon. Hopefully there's a demo I can try(can't recall if I saw one in the US PSN store)
    I think it all comes down to whether or not you like Monster Hunter-style games, really. Repetition is a pretty pervasive issue throughout the entire genre, and it's definitely not for everyone. But if you like Monster Hunter, or Gods Eater, or Phantasy Star Portable, or any of those other types of games... then you'll enjoy Ragnarok Odyssey a lot, I think.

    And yeah, we've got a demo up on PSN, so feel free to give it a look-see!

    -Tom

  13. #13
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,484
    Definitely play the demo. It's not a bad game by any means, but it has some issues that will likely turn some off. It takes too long to get out of the boring, repetitive missions to the more fun missions and when it does the difficulty ramps up to quick that you want to scream. While I was ready to be done, I would gladly go back and help people that are stuck out if possible. Best played in bursts, that's for sure.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •