Thread: Staff Review - Ragnarok Odyssey

Staff Review - Ragnarok Odyssey

Dark Souls already used the phrase "prepare to die," so Ragnarok Odyssey will have to settle for "prepare to die against a giant monster while wearing a poring hat." In retrospect, fighting a giant poring would have been really impressive.

Review
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

dang, wasn't expecting it to get that score. i kinda wish i had waited because theres a demo for it coming out later today. I bought it day 1 though because all my psn friends were talking it up. While i think its okay in small does (20 minute sessions), the gameplay gets very repetitive and i'm disappointed by how terrible the story is.
    Haven't tried multiplayer in it yet. Maybe that will make me feel like it didn't completely waste $40 on it. :/
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Game Arts hasn't had its crap together since Grandia 2...Dreamcast Edition. These are the Lunar people folks. Step it back up guys!
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    dang, wasn't expecting it to get that score. i kinda wish i had waited because theres a demo for it coming out later today. I bought it day 1 though because all my psn friends were talking it up. While i think its okay in small does (20 minute sessions), the gameplay gets very repetitive and i'm disappointed by how terrible the story is.
    Haven't tried multiplayer in it yet. Maybe that will make me feel like it didn't completely waste $40 on it. :/
    Multiplayer does make it much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by pcaballe View Post
    Game Arts hasn't had its crap together since Grandia 2...Dreamcast Edition. These are the Lunar people folks. Step it back up guys!
    Sadly, Game Arts without Studio Alex just isn't the same.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

The time limit on missions is a turn-off.
    Thanks for your review.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    You're not doing a very good job selling me a Vita, Mac.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I don't like overly-hard RPGs, so I'll definitely pass on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    The time limit on missions is a turn-off.
    Thanks for your review.
    I usually don't either, but I don't think I ever even came close to not finishing a mission on time. I'd either beat it or die, so time was never the problem for me at least.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Multiplayer does make it much more enjoyable.
    Yeah I've switched to just going straight to multiplayer when I get to a boss and it has increased my enjoyment significantly.

It seems repetition is the main problem which I don't always generally mind. I'm really on the fence of whether I want this game or not.

I'm probably getting a Vita pretty soon. Hopefully there's a demo I can try(can't recall if I saw one in the US PSN store)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yeah I've switched to just going straight to multiplayer when I get to a boss and it has increased my enjoyment significantly.
    The only problem is when you get to bosses are the harder in MP...mainly because of crappy players.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    It seems repetition is the main problem which I don't always generally mind. I'm really on the fence of whether I want this game or not.

I'm probably getting a Vita pretty soon. Hopefully there's a demo I can try(can't recall if I saw one in the US PSN store)
    I think it all comes down to whether or not you like Monster Hunter-style games, really. Repetition is a pretty pervasive issue throughout the entire genre, and it's definitely not for everyone. But if you like Monster Hunter, or Gods Eater, or Phantasy Star Portable, or any of those other types of games... then you'll enjoy Ragnarok Odyssey a lot, I think.

And yeah, we've got a demo up on PSN, so feel free to give it a look-see!

-Tom

Definitely play the demo. It's not a bad game by any means, but it has some issues that will likely turn some off. It takes too long to get out of the boring, repetitive missions to the more fun missions and when it does the difficulty ramps up to quick that you want to scream. While I was ready to be done, I would gladly go back and help people that are stuck out if possible. Best played in bursts, that's for sure.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm