Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV: That's No Moon...

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar

Final Fantasy XIV: That's No Moon...

Giant dragon awakes and remakes world with fire and brimstone. Players last seen futilely fighting with weapons and magic. Blizzard last seen furiously employing cult of rabid undead lawyers.

All the epicness is happening in this story.

What? Really? A giant dragon awoke and burnt the world?

Wow. I know the "dragon destroys all" thing is hardly unique to Blizzard, but still...too soon.

Oh, and we all know lawyers would rise as vampires. They're already bloodsuckers.

To Be fair. Bahamut had dibbs on being a draconic world destroyer before Deathwing (Chains of Promithia depicted Bahamut as a world Destroyer before Catalysim, but in that instance, the Adventureres stopped him.) It's just that Deathwing was successful first.

All and all this was appropriate to Final Fantasy's overall themes, even with how close it was to Cataclysm in some ways.

Also, Bahamut is the cooler dragon. >.>

Pretty much...
    "Rapture" was indeed the proper code-name for this game when it was in its infancy.

It's an awesome video. And remember Bahamut was an instrument of destruction in FFIX
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

That video displays everything I want in a single-player Final Fantasy game...
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    That video displays everything I want in a single-player Final Fantasy game...
    I wholeheartedly agree. This is the kind of next Generation Real Final Fantasy the series needs. I realize I am the only one that hates MMOs, but that video actually made me excited to be a FF fan.
    Can anyone tell me what is the Singer/title of the song playing in the back ground.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

it's the same song that was in one of the first cutscenes in version 1.0. it's a beautiful song. it's called "answers" by susan calloway.

New Member New Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    it's the same song that was in one of the first cutscenes in version 1.0. it's a beautiful song. it's called "answers" by susan calloway.
    Sorry to be nit-picky but the song is by Nobuo Uematsu, the vocalist is Susan Calloway. Just wish this was how it played in in game....instead of Mordor ..I a mean Mor Dhona crashing every 5 minutes and seeing 0 mobs when I was online...sigh....

sorry, i should've said "with" instead of "by." :P

here is a great music video someone made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQIciJWx9g
    Last edited by noodle; 11-14-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    I'd like to remind your RPG playin' ***** that before any video game had a dragon named Bahamut, he was in the pen and paper RPG, Dungeons & Dragons. I THINK that was the first instance of Bahamut being dragon even though Bahamut is actually a giant fish. You can learn all about it in a video I made here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27pX...9&feature=plcp
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Well, I did say Blizzard didn't invent world destroying dragons. My point was it seemed lazy.

Granted, if Bahamut did it first then I guess it's traditional. I was kind of hoping for another Kefka's Tower thing though.

Haven't played the game, but I still found the sad smile of that old man at the end heartbreaking. I can only imagine how the players must've felt when they saw the cinematic.

And yes, what Mac said.

I'm growing an extremely tiny crystal of hope that this will be a great FF experience. And that it will come to the ps3 before we all grow old and die...
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

ICHIGO!!!!

sorry i got distracted.

people at work were all excited about black ops and then 3 of us broke off and started talking about final fantasy. we watched the epic video. i don't blink at all when watching it.. it's just so good. and it also makes me sad. i remember all the good times i had until i had to stop because it became pay-to-play..

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Wow, that was quite the epic video.

I agree with others that this looks like what a single player FF should be like.

Unfortunately the the mmo's just don't cut it for me.

After trying many pay-to-play mmo's I know I will not pay monthly for one again. So when this one eventually goes free-to-play... like the others out there, then I will enetertain trying it.

who knows what will happen with this one. FFXI is still pay-to-play.

The issue with so many MMOs is that they are all the same.

FFXIV has a different feeling when you play it, I find it really difficult to explain, but no other MMO has captivated me in the way FFXI, or now FFXIV has. It's too bad much of the game architecture was poor under the hood, there's a lot of people sad to see 1.0 end (since they made so many improvements, the game is quite enjoyable now). In the end the servers could not even handle the final event properly

As a current player since launch (no breaks, eep) The end where Louisiox smiles in the wrath of Bahamut completely choked me up, players are calling him Eorzea's Hero for his acts, and requesting monuments built in his honour to be placed in A Realm Reborn. The Dalamud (meteor) story of FFXIV was absolutely fantastic, the players had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned by it. Most knew that Dalamud was a weapon from an ancient civilization. A lot assumed it would actually fire at us, or just simply smash into Eorzea. The fact that it is Bahamut, and thus an Elder Primal, has huge implications to the storyline. We now know Bahamut has been imprisoned for several millenia, and that the Empire also had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned inside. They too thought it was a weapon that could be used for war against Eorzea. Nael Van Darnus (the protagonist of FFXIV Dalamud story) did however have knowledge of Dalamud's secret, as he is from the bloodline of those who created Dalamud in the first place.

I haven't felt this stoked about a Final Fantasy in years. It looks like SE can still tell a great story after all. I'm now more excited for this than any FF in development.
    "To be forgotten is worse than death."

I have one question...how the heck did Square-enix manage to make a video that makes me want to play FF14?

Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Dragoon View Post
    The issue with so many MMOs is that they are all the same.

FFXIV has a different feeling when you play it, I find it really difficult to explain, but no other MMO has captivated me in the way FFXI, or now FFXIV has. It's too bad much of the game architecture was poor under the hood, there's a lot of people sad to see 1.0 end (since they made so many improvements, the game is quite enjoyable now). In the end the servers could not even handle the final event properly

As a current player since launch (no breaks, eep) The end where Louisiox smiles in the wrath of Bahamut completely choked me up, players are calling him Eorzea's Hero for his acts, and requesting monuments built in his honour to be placed in A Realm Reborn. The Dalamud (meteor) story of FFXIV was absolutely fantastic, the players had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned by it. Most knew that Dalamud was a weapon from an ancient civilization. A lot assumed it would actually fire at us, or just simply smash into Eorzea. The fact that it is Bahamut, and thus an Elder Primal, has huge implications to the storyline. We now know Bahamut has been imprisoned for several millenia, and that the Empire also had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned inside. They too thought it was a weapon that could be used for war against Eorzea. Nael Van Darnus (the protagonist of FFXIV Dalamud story) did however have knowledge of Dalamud's secret, as he is from the bloodline of those who created Dalamud in the first place.

I haven't felt this stoked about a Final Fantasy in years. It looks like SE can still tell a great story after all. I'm now more excited for this than any FF in development.

even though i had to quit FFXIV when it stopped free-to-play (couldn't afford it) the video touched me too. probably not as much as someone like yourself that had been playing the game this whole time.. but i wish i would've been able to continue playing it. which makes me all the more excited that i'll be able to afford it once it comes out again. i just don't know if i'll have to buy another retail version or if they can just let us 1.0 people download it. :P