Thread: Staff Review - Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Staff Review - Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

Ever wanted to lift a building over your head and toss it somewhere else with ease? In Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, there's more to life than building-cabertoss, but darn it, it's way too much fun.

Staff Review

This sounds much better than Tides of Destiny(ugh).
    Thanks for your review.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The lack of poor voice acting alone makes it better than Tides of Destiny.

Great review, and one I agree with in terms of both positives and negatives. If you haven't played Harvest Moon for a long time, this would be a great game to get back into the series with. It's got all the classic activities, but also the cool customization system, and a good pace to the day. It's been quite a few games since I felt like the game had juuuust enough hours that I could comfortably get stuff done, but also needed to make choices about how I spent my time. That's a strong part of the magic of Harvest Moon.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    If you haven't played Harvest Moon for a long time, this would be a great game to get back into the series with.
    Hmm, in that case, I should pick it up! Haven't played anything Harvest Moon-y since Rune Factory 3, and RF4 is taking a long (too long!) time for the localisation announcement, So I might try this.

...One thing that worries me a little...

Did you encounter any bad bugs (I'm not too fussed about graphical glitches)? Harvest Moon New Beginning reminds me a lot of Harvest Moon DS, due to the "everything's customisable" and "best of Harvest Moon" sort of thing, but (in particular what I'm thinking about) one of the features of Harvest Moon DS was that you could build barns etc anywhere on your farm. But I think that feature made the game really glitchy, and it was actually so bad that it got to the point where if I wanted to exit my barn or chicken coop, there was a ~60% chance that the game would just freeze (Pretty sure I was only on Spring of the 2nd year, so it's not like I was massively far in!).

Anyway, if you didn't happen to come across any major bugs, that will allay some of my fears over buying the game!
    Last edited by randal77; 11-14-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: grammar
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I've almost finished a full year in the game, and have yet to encounter any major bugs. Building and object customization works on a strict grid system, and if you place something stupidly (like with a door that can't be entered) you can just pick it back up and move or rotate it. I also haven't frozen or crashed at all. The only problems I've found are with the sloppy localization, but even that isn't as bad as some former games have been. So far I haven't met any mis-named vegetables or anything.

You can even save anywhere, so if you want to make sure to keep your progress after something awesome happens, you can just save.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance