Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff Review - Persona 4 Golden

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar

Staff Review - Persona 4 Golden

There's more truth to be had in Atlus's revamp of a PlayStation 2 classic. Fans and newcomers alike will definitely want to visit Inaba this winter.

Read the review here

Whatthehelldontpublishthatihateyoustupidjerk!
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I really want this...but its honestly the only thing on the VITA that really interests me at the moment, so I really can't justify buying one just for this :/

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    YAY! I'm getting this one for xmas, and can't wait to check it out!

Finally, a VITA game for my VITA.... must be the end of the world as we know it!

Oh ****.... if the world ends I won't get to play it....

Quote Originally Posted by Khisanth Magus View Post
    I really want this...but its honestly the only thing on the VITA that really interests me at the moment, so I really can't justify buying one just for this :/
    Yes you can.

Trust me. You can.

Consider that P4G is like 3 times as long as most games (and 80 times as long as CoD:Black Ops Declassified!) So really, one game of this calibur and size ought to be a good reason to pick up a system.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

This is definitely a game for which I would by a Vita, but a little note on the review itself, isn't P4's difficulty adjustable instead of "moderate?" No offense, it just somewhat turns me off when reviewers don't get their facts straight.
    Last edited by LOLOttertard; 11-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simba B View Post
    This is definitely a game for which I would by a Vita, but a little note on the review itself, isn't P4's difficulty adjustable instead of "moderate?" No offense, it just somewhat turns me off when reviewers don't get their facts straight.
    Difficulty has to be selected at the beginning of the game and can't be adjusted once play has begun. For that reason, I felt moderate was a more appropriate entry, basing it on the normal difficulty.
    Follow me on Twitter

(Pssst... The specs sidebar in the review still lists "PS2" under PLATFORM.)

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Difficulty has to be selected at the beginning of the game and can't be adjusted once play has begun. For that reason, I felt moderate was a more appropriate entry, basing it on the normal difficulty.
    Yeah, that's the way that makes most sense to me. If you can't actually adjust it after the playthrough has started then that doesn't really count as 'Adjustable'.

Not particularly surprised at its awesomeness, very much looking forward to it
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

disappointed theres no PS Plus discount on the psn version, so i might as well get retail disk now. i'm usually agains't spending $40 on a game i already played (and beat) but with the store credit i have, it should only cost around $17 for me which is great.

Can't wait till gamestop opens 10 am tomorrow to get it.

Edit: also just glanced at the trophies and it seems there aren't any tied to difficulty so i can thankfully play on the easiest difficulty available. I'm more interested in the social aspects of the game than the actual battles (which are kinda dull).
    Last edited by Ryumoau; 11-19-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan19 View Post
    (Pssst... The specs sidebar in the review still lists "PS2" under PLATFORM.)
    Thanks for pointing that out, it has been fixed.
    Follow me on Twitter

Atlus continues on amazing me with their games. They remind me a lot now of the Squaresoft years when just about any game they put out you were really looking forward to.

I never got to finish P4 due to a room mate's dog yanking the PS2 off the shelf while I was playing and ruining the disc, so very much looking forward to getting this once I can afford a Vita.

This is the part where I toss up between a $20 copy of the original or shelling out $350 for a Vita/P4G/memory card/tax...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    This is the part where I toss up between a $20 copy of the original or shelling out $350 for a Vita/P4G/memory card/tax...
    You can't go wrong either way.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    You can't go wrong either way.
    Personally I would still recommend the new version. I can't imagine the game without the new social links anymore. They add too much important stuff to the story.
    Follow me on Twitter

PSN needs to update the store bright and early today so I can buy P4G already

the game will never leave my Vita once it's installed on my memory card

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf323 View Post
    PSN needs to update the store bright and early today so I can buy P4G already

the game will never leave my Vita once it's installed on my memory card
    yeah, Sony really needs to be more consistent with their updates. Some tuesdays its 3pm eastern, while others its not till 10pm. I'm eagerly awaiting today's update because of the free games they are giving PS Plus members for the Vita.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

I loved the PS2 version, and I thought it was a great "get" for Sony to have on the Vita. ....But I can't justify a Vita + memory card purchase for it. There's not a single other game on the platform that's "must-have" to me (not a lot of titles, period really). The expenditure seems like an even worse idea when coupled with the fact that I'd be shelling out for an update of a game I already have.. and only that. Also, I still vastly, vastly, vastly prefer playing long-form role-playing games on a home console + television setup instead of a portable. For example, even while I enjoyed the improvements to the Persona 3 Portable, the PS2 version was still more accessible in a way.

It's backwards a bit: Catherine & Persona-Arena would be games I'd find interesting to play briefly on a portable, while the series releases I'd vastly prefer on home console. The portable drift has been steadily removing a large chunk of jrpgs from my plate I suppose.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Welp just bought a Vita just for this, a game I've beaten multiple times, and a Ys game that hasn't even been confirmed for localization. Who's good with money? I'm good with money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post
    Welp just bought a Vita just for this, a game I've beaten multiple times, and a Ys game that hasn't even been confirmed for localization. Who's good with money? I'm good with money.
    For Persona 4 and a chance at Ys Celceta? I think you'll be happy.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm