Thread: Ragnarok Tactics - Staff Review

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Ragnarok Tactics - Staff Review

After the release of one Ragnarok Online spin-off, the second has followed closely behind. Will Ragnarok Tactics be on the end of a better reception than its sibling?

[ Review ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I was waiting for a review before I bought this game, and now I'm not sure I want to get it, Jeanne D'arc was so excellent, and final fantasy tactics was very acceptable, anything less doesn't seem worth it. Dissapointing (>.<;

Thanks for your detailed review.
    I still want to play this game!

well that settles it. Definetly a pass.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

I'd get it just for the amazing art. Tomatika's character designs were last featured in a game back in Eternal Poison, which incidentally was made by some of the crew (R.I.P. Flight-Plan) that formed Apollosoft.

Actually sounds slightly better than I was expecting for an RO spin off. I'd pick it up if I weren't saving for a Vita. Maybe I'll pick up a discounted copy someday.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Your review indicates I might enjoy RO Tactics. Many tactical RPGs can be exploited in some way or another, so the poor balancing shouldn't be a big issue to me. The fact that it sounds easy to pick up, contains a job system, and has good pacing is exactly what I'm looking for right now. Maybe I'll give it a whirl in a few days.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 11-21-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I definitely enjoyed playing the game, and beat it on the neutral route. That being said I don't disagree with the review, and find it very reflective on the game. My main disappointment is that it was over before I really felt like I did anythxing. When fighting the final boss... I had thought maybe this was the mid-point, or story-changing battle... not the end.

So there were definite disappointments. Dispite being addicted to playing through it... I have little interest in replaying it... mainly because the battles are so generic.

If you like tactical rpgs... and customizing your hirelings (which I love) then you will find enjoyment and it may be worth the purchase. If your looking for FFT or TO replacement... you will have to keep waiting.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    My main disappointment is that it was over before I really felt like I did anythxing. When fighting the final boss... I had thought maybe this was the mid-point, or story-changing battle... not the end.
    Yeah, it did like there would be at least a bit more after the battle what with the setup and everything. I know one of the two unlockable endings is a "true ending" which continues a bit after that point, but you pretty much have to fully complete the route map first, which isn't something I have a great desire to do.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I'll probably get it eventually. It's not really a day-1 purchase though as I still have other tactical games to play first. (Tactics Ogre, Luminous Arc 2, Phantom Brave...)

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Have there been any other tactics games this year that you'd suggest instead? Ideally for the PSP for the sake of comparison, but I'd be interested to know if something came out on the PS3 or Wii and I missed it. Otherwise, I sort of feel that even if it's just an average game that I may not see a tactics game for awhile and I should be grateful for anything nowadays.

To be honest, I still really wanna get this, but probably hopefully for a bit cheaper, I'm still making myway through Valkyria Chronicles 2 I just finished the March month and that scary first encounter with "Dirk". Anyway my 3rd purchase shall be "GOOOOOOOOONGNEEEEEEEEEEER!" I'm probably going to avoid games which I already played like Disgaea and Luminous Arc 2 etc, even tactics ogre although I haven't played that in donkeys.

"If at first you don't succeed, grind and procrastinate until you have to check Gamefaqs - Weeeaaaaak (>.<;

I'm a sucker for SRPGs with a job system so I'll be getting this.

Re: above by Pimpalicious. (Oni) I'm a sucker for SRPGs with a job system so I'll be getting this. Re Kariko (Tensei) I'll probably get it eventually. It's not really a day-1 purchase
    <picture of castle resolve crumbling into the sea as the forces of purchase and not purchase war>
    it's 25 pounds of British money, it's getting close to Chrisimasu @_@. T_T;
    <Aura on! Resolve refreshes If a brilliant game like Jeanne D'arc retails for less than half the price of this rather weak offering, then I can't insult the memory of its greatness by buying it new!>