Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suikoden III - Staff Retroview

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar

Suikoden III - Staff Retroview

Home, home on the Grasslands, where the ducks and the lizard men play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, and the Zexen skies are clouded all day.
    Those feet aren't webbed - are they really ducks?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    He liked it! Mikey liked it!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Great game, but I generally love the series. It gets flak for following up the great Suikoden 2 and shifting from those memorable sprites to... yeah. I still thought it was wonderful though. Has one of the few villains I've ever felt bad for.

lol suiko3 roolz suiko4 sux amirite?

Kidding, I actually thought Tierkreis was worse than IV. I personally felt as well that the third game felt more out of place in the franchise than the fourth game, but the third is definitely the better game, I'll concur.

Suikoden 3 was the second game I played in the series, but the first one I finished. I think it's the best of the series that I've finished so far, being better than both Suikoden 1 and Suikoden Tierkreis.

I didn't get the Suikoden 4 hate, aside from the smaller party size that's really irritating. I still haven't finished it myself though.

I've never managed to play Suikoden 2. Never saw a copy in store, never managed to get one before its price skyrocketed.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Jmustang1968's Avatar
    I agree with this review, one of my favorite PS2 RPGs.

So far I've played 5 Suikoden games and this is number 2 of them. 5 still remains my favourite in spite of its slow start. I want to play 2 to see what the fuss is about, but there's no game out there that I would enjoy enough to pay $200 for a copy of. That said, if it appears on the PSN for like 9.99 or 5.99, I will get it super fast.

The only thing I really didn't enjoy about this game though was the trekking back and forth until you get the teleport lady. I liked the characters and the story, especially the two sides of that first chapter where the knight chick kills that kid guy and Hugo(I think) freaks out. I played thinking he was the main character, so I gave him the fire thing and stuff. If I ever get number 2 I may find myself spending some time going through all of them again.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I thoroughly enjoyed the main titles of this franchise. The one with the boats... 4... was annoying but still playable.

It's unfortunate when rpg developers move away from the source material to be "innovative" when really the original format is what they should keep. This happens way too often with a franchise... *cough cough* looking at you Square.

Quote Originally Posted by kazriko View Post
    I didn't get the Suikoden 4 hate, aside from the smaller party size that's really irritating. I still haven't finished it myself though.
    My hate is for the world map mechanic ... god damn does the ship thing SUCK and seems slow
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

This review is spot on.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Glad to hear you liked it JuMe.

Suikoden 3 was my first entry into the series, and it is my favorite by far, but I haven't beaten Suikoden 2 so I can't say that for certain. Suikoden 4 was the next one, and while the battles and ship annoyed me, I did like the game quite a bit. Then I got Tactics and enjoyed seeing all the plot points from Suikoden 4 explained and finally solved. Then I played Suikoden 1 and got to see how it started, which was a nice romp. I still need to beat Tierkreis and Suikoden 2, along with finding an actual copy of Suikoden 5. Once I do all that, I shall finally pull out my full list of which ones I like the most.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Glad to hear you liked it JuMe.

Suikoden 3 was my first entry into the series, and it is my favorite by far, but I haven't beaten Suikoden 2 so I can't say that for certain. Suikoden 4 was the next one, and while the battles and ship annoyed me, I did like the game quite a bit. Then I got Tactics and enjoyed seeing all the plot points from Suikoden 4 explained and finally solved. Then I played Suikoden 1 and got to see how it started, which was a nice romp. I still need to beat Tierkreis and Suikoden 2, along with finding an actual copy of Suikoden 5. Once I do all that, I shall finally pull out my full list of which ones I like the most.
    If you leave near NM I'll be happy to lend you mine
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

My biggest gripe with Suikoden 3 was with the combat system and the lack of world map. I liked everything else, but I often wonder about how perfect it would've been if it had kept the traditional 6 man battle system and had a more explorable world.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riulyn View Post
    This review is spot on.
    This post is spot on.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    If you leave near NM I'll be happy to lend you mine
    Sorry, in SC. However I'll see if I can find a copy online since I have money right now.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Borrow it through the mail. Drem and I do it sometimes.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-22-2012 at 04:02 PM.

I'm surprised you liked this game as much as you did! I actually completed it years ago, and remember enjoying it quite a bit at the time. Recently, however I replayed it only to find that the pacing was really killing me. Nothing overly specific bothered me, just a general sense of its age I guess. Weird thing is that I replayed the original Suikoden recently as well and blew right through it. In any case, great to see a recent review of this game. I might just pull it off the shelf again to see what I missed.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Yeah..I'll never understand why Suikoden IV flat out removed the skill system introduced (and Suikoden V dumbed it down severely). It was the one thing that actually made some of the characters really different from one another in comparison to the other games.

Though I'll agree, even though apparently the story team went through production hell from what I've heard, it's still a top notch story that few games can match.

One of the saddest days in my lifer came when I was going to loan my copy of Suikoden 2 to a friend so he could also enjoy its awesomeness...I go to open the jeweled case and....the CD was not inside.

I almost cried then and there.

I liked Sui 3, but didn't love it.
    I still caught all 108 pokemon, though.
    I've played them all and I really think the PS3 needs one too!