Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Shin Megami Tensei IV's Protagonist

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Meet Shin Megami Tensei IV's Protagonist

A fictional country in 1492? The setting may seems unusual for Shin Megami Tensei, but those look like demon-summoning COMPs attached to their arms.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Kind of weird that they went with this alternate history stuff when, based on the trailers, it looks like they switch the post-apocalyptic Tokyo pretty quickly.

Am i the only one in the world who loves Persona 3 and 4, but have absolutely no interest in any other SMT games (main line and side games like Digital Devil Saga)?
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    Am i the only one in the world who loves Persona 3 and 4, but have absolutely no interest in any other SMT games (main line and side games like Digital Devil Saga)?
    I haven't played any SMT games out of the Persona series, but that's more for only getting into it in the last two years. That said, I don't really have any burning desire to try out some of the other games available (I want to at least try out Devil Survivor when it gets over here and this one though so I guess I don't really count in that group).
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I really enjoyed Nocturne... but the DS game that followed that (Can't remember the title) really bored me to tears. I am not sure if I would return to that type of gameplay again. I enjoy the persona games, but the SMT games got old for me.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Kind of weird that they went with this alternate history stuff when, based on the trailers, it looks like they switch the post-apocalyptic Tokyo pretty quickly.
    What if they pull a DDS on us? Or time traveling shenanigans?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

So far ever since Nocturne came out and I discovered SMT's existence, I've enjoyed every game in the franchise. Some more than others, but they've all been at least what I would consider 'good'.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Having rewatched the original trailer and noticing it includes some bits that were obviously from this period as well as the more apocalyptic one it wouldn't surprise me to see some form of time-screwing.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I've bought every SMT game that's come out this way since Nocturne so far I've liked them enough to beat them all except Persona 1 so far. I'll be putting more time into it soon, so I will beat it, it just didn't grab me like most of the others. That said, I expect to buy and enjoy this game. I will end up avoiding all information about it soon enough though just because I like to be surprised when I hop into them.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    So far ever since Nocturne came out and I discovered SMT's existence, I've enjoyed every game in the franchise. Some more than others, but they've all been at least what I would consider 'good'.
    Same for me!

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Yes, I suspect either time travel, or perhaps the distant future, the walls around Mikado separating the people from the rest of the post-apocalyptic world.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

SMT games for me are a total crapshoot, there are those I really like and those I really hate. I've actually liked some of the spinoffs more than the main installments. I like my difficulty adjustable, though, and am not fond of one-size-fits-all difficulty.

This one looks interesting.
    But, when will they put an SMT game on the PS3?
    Last edited by Slayer; 11-23-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: loco

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    This one looks interesting.
    But, when will they put an SMT game on the PS3?
    If we're lucky, Persona 5

In the meantime though, Catherine is practically an SMT game. It's got the same sort of themes and style, its just not an RPG.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Persona 3/4 have pretty radically different themes and style to SMT to begin with though. You would never know Persona 4 had anything to do with Shin Megami Tensei if it wasn't for the familiar demons/spell names. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but playing Catherine isn't the same experience that playing a new, current-gen Nocturne would be.

To be honest, the more I see of this game, the more apathetic I become. Strange Journey felt like a very unambitious sequel, and at least that game had Kaneko doing the art design. I'm not sure the culture that was needed to produce a game like Nocturne exists at Atlus anymore. Of course, I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong.

I loved SMT: Nocturne but I wasn't very impressed with Strange Journey. Not sure what to think of this one.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    If we're lucky, Persona 5
    After P3 and P4 on portables, I much prefer them that way. Now a dual release on PS3/Vita? Sold x 2.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I would kinda love to keep as much of the new School persona style with the only exception of being able to recruit demons again (though somehow not make it as tedious as they have been in previous installments). The recruiting aspect is one of the main things that really set the Persona games apart from other RPGs and I would love to see a version of it on the consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    I would kinda love to keep as much of the new School persona style with the only exception of being able to recruit demons again (though somehow not make it as tedious as they have been in previous installments). The recruiting aspect is one of the main things that really set the Persona games apart from other RPGs and I would love to see a version of it on the consoles.
    This post is confusing. Recruiting demons is not what sets Persona games apart from the pack. Main SMT games and offspring like Strange Journey and Devil Survivor focus on recruitment of demons. And then all you would need to do to see demon recruiting on a console would be play Nocturne or if you actually consider Persona style gathering of personas the same thing both Persona 3 and Persona 4 hit home consoles. Even Persona 1 and 2 were on consoles. Did you just not know that? If you did know that then did you love seeing the versions of it on the console?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Sorry for confusing you. Nocturnal really wasn't that fun of game for me (neither was the Digital Devil saga games that came out around the same time, but that is unrelated) and though the game share some characteristics with the Persona series, it still was not Persona. I was comparing the latest installments of Persona (3 and 4) with Persona 1 and 2 of old. I love everything about 3 and 4 but would rather see them implement the recruiting systems in some shape or form from 1 and 2. I know other installments of Shin Megami Tensei series have done similar recruiting systems, but I really only prefer the Persona series for the most part, so that was what I was comparing to.