Thread: RPGCast - Episode 247: "Japan Isn't All Maid Cafés"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 247: "Japan Isn't All Maid Cafés"

RPGCast - Episode 247: "Japan Isn't All Maid Cafés"

This week we figure out what to play on Wii U. Pier Solar decides what we should play on the Dreamcast. FFXIV decides that we can continue to play it. But Bioware decides that I can't log into Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/247

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Japan Isn't All Maid Cafés"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Wait wait wait! I heard some really interesting information that I did not really understand. Michael has done something regarding the text of Dragon Quest VII? ...Or something? I don't understand. Michael Tidwell, please elaborate. I am curious to know exactly what you did.

In other news: I AM MAKING A GAME! It's not an RPG actually. It's a puzzle game but it should be of interest to the RPGamer community because I'm making it with RPG Maker VX Ace and it has CUUUUUTE WITTLE SPWITESY-WITESIES! My current plan is for it to be a 30-stage tower type of game. Each stage will be a single room with a puzzle that you must solve before you can move on. I'll keep you updated on it's progress. Currently making stage 13 as of the time I am posting this. I promise to make it an interesting challenge that has plenty of charm.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Mikel Tidwell (spelling) and former staff member Doug Hill (Stom) both worked on the localization of the original DQVII. One lasted longer than the other (I don't recall who), but as the podcast notes the original studio that developed DQVII went under mid-translation, so most of the work they did actually never made it into the game. That's why the localization of the game seems so completely uneven. Interestingly, they both now also work for Disney (Playdom).

Generally speaking, here's how a localization works for a JRPG:
    1. Parent company (either developer or publisher) in Japan (or the US) does a raw Japanese to English translation. This is a very very rough draft.
    2. This initial draft is given to the US publisher, who begins the localization process. This includes everything from fixing tense/grammatical errors such as "tired/tire" and "your/you're"
    3. As localization proceeds, partial or full language files are sent back to Japan to be inserted into the game (there's a couple exceptions, but this is the lion's share of development)
    4. The new game/files come back to the US for testing to ensure the localization was inserted correctly and to QA for other issues.
    5. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Fun fact: Stom hired me for RPGamer almost 13 years ago. Woowoo.

Also, can't wait for your game

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    I was working on-site for Enix America (here in Seattle) as a copy/text editor, for Dragon Warrior VII's localizaiton, and then convinced them to add Doug when we were getting closer to the deadline. Most of the work I did actually is in the game, but heartbeat (JP devs) went on vacation after completing the remake of DQIV and never returned, so we were left with about three, maybe four weeks of crunch time editing that simply never made it into the game.

#1 thing I learned from that experience was that you can't speak without context. We would translate one character at a time, so sometimes the King would talk about the Sun and the reply would be about the stars. This lead to a lot of mistakes that had to be fixed later. A lot of these kinds of changes are what didn't make it into the game.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Sorry it took me so long, guys but I subscribed to the site on itunes. On other notes, you wanted to know what my most anticipated game for 2013 FIRE EMBLEM (froth at mouth).
    On other notes. Yes RPG's are risky and questionably profitable but do you have a more hardcore, cult fanbase?! If the genre goes down, I will mourn, I will curse the fates, I will start investing in indie RPG outfits, ......I would be madder and more angry than Asura in Asura's Wrath.

My favourite RPG this year is not one released this year(Jeanne D'arc). No MMORPG's worked for me.
    The game I played the most that came out this year was Diablo 3 - 677 hours played.... so so far it's my game of the year, the love-hate story goes on.
    Last edited by Balance; 12-03-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: wrong year mistake

You guys completely forgot Borderlands 2, Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 in your RPGOTY considerations =P You've been playing them so much that they completely slipped your mind. Personally for me Atelier Meruru is up there, but that definitely won't have widespread support (and it came out in 2011 in Japan, so I don't know if that counts). If NA localizations DO count, Xenoblade Chronicles came out in 2012 stateside.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is at the top of my most anticipated RPGs of 2013 list (or any game for tha matter). I'm also hoping for Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers to be localized and at least an annoucement of a localization for Shin Megami Tensei IV.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    You guys completely forgot Borderlands 2, Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 in your RPGOTY considerations =P You've been playing them so much that they completely slipped your mind. Personally for me Atelier Meruru is up there, but that definitely won't have widespread support (and it came out in 2011 in Japan, so I don't know if that counts). If NA localizations DO count, Xenoblade Chronicles came out in 2012 stateside.
    Yeah, our awards are generally based on NA release dates, although we have to make a decision when European releases come beforehand. Xenoblade would be eligible for this year's site GotY, as least it should be as we made the decision to not include it last year (iirc they announced it for NA shortly after we decided that). If not then I will be moaning vociferously :P I did at least make sure it got it in last year's unofficial podcast awards just in case.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    It seems quite obvious to me that if you didn't count Xenoblade last year, you HAVE to count it this year. You guys gave it a perfect 5 for Amadeus!
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

As the person who actually runs the RPG of the Year awards, I can confirm that we WILL for certain be including Xenoblade in this year's nominations.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    This week's RPG Cast is postponed to Sunday evening due to Anna and I going to the Distant Worlds concert in Chicago and staying overnight. http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/

if you could turn another form of media into an rpg which would it be? ... Mecha answer:
    Forget Kingdom Hearts and lets have those Voltron Disney mecha in a RPG!

---

Otherwise I guess a giant-furry-panda protagonist could work in Super Robot Wars...

Or am I just getting the wrong impression from that idea?