Thread: Alpha Videos Released for A Realm Reborn

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Alpha Videos Released for A Realm Reborn

RPGamers planning to enter A Realm Reborn have been given an opportunity to check out how the alpha version is looking. Those who appreciate woodland should find themselves well catered for.

[ Videos! ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    THEY'RE SO PRETTY!

i still have my gridania birth certificate.

Yeah. Very pretty. *_*
    In case any one out there thinks to be overly finicky about what they DON'T see,
    bear in mind that none of the NPC models are incorporated into the build these videos come from,
    nor is any of the content besides a few low level quests for testing purposes.
    This is from a build that is already several months old (the stress test server).

So just enjoy it purely for the pretty scenery.
    Content videos will come later.

Getting really excited about this game. Any official word of a console release date? I keep hearing a general "2013" kind of thing.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    Getting really excited about this game. Any official word of a console release date? I keep hearing a general "2013" kind of thing.
    Same exact day as the PC release. From what is known so far, Yoshi and his team looked at the ARR build back in August and decided that they wanted to fix a whole bunch of things. As a result, they are a full 2 and a 1/2 months behind schedule. PC Beta will begin in January, with the PS3 Beta beginning a little while after that. They will then run the Beta (Yoshi's words) until the player base is in agreement that the game is ready for launch.

It really seems, and Wada himself backed this up in the live letter, that unlike last time, they're going to release it when they're ready. Beta should be easy enough to get in on as the numbers increase, but for full launch i wouldn't expect it sooner than April, maybe as late as June.

Same exact day as the PC release. From what is known so far, Yoshi and his team looked at the ARR build back in August and decided that they wanted to fix a whole bunch of things. As a result, they are a full 2 and a 1/2 months behind schedule. PC Beta will begin in January, with the PS3 Beta beginning a little while after that. They will then run the Beta (Yoshi's words) until the player base is in agreement that the game is ready for launch.

It really seems, and Wada himself backed this up in the live letter, that unlike last time, they're going to release it when they're ready. Beta should be easy enough to get in on as the numbers increase, but for full launch i wouldn't expect it sooner than April, maybe as late as June.
    That was highly informative thanks!

I did not play the original FF 14, or 11, I played a lot of wow however... I am facinated by the amount of customability you are able to have with your character. I hope this game is a success!

Would have liked a video including the battle system in there somewhere, but the visuals look fantastic. Is it just me or does this have a really strong Final Fantasy look and feel? It evokes a little bit of FF12 and FF13, which is awesome IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    Would have liked a video including the battle system in there somewhere, but the visuals look fantastic. Is it just me or does this have a really strong Final Fantasy look and feel? It evokes a little bit of FF12 and FF13, which is awesome IMO.
    Here's the video of the combat:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...sts-and-Combat

The reason why it feels Final Fantasy is because the new director, Yoshi-P, is trying his darnest to make the game feel FF. The new UI is designed by the UI designer for FFXII as you might've already guessed. The game is going to feature things like Golden Saucer, as well.

Alpha and Beta builds of the game split up development months ago. Beta will be much closer to the actual experience, visually and playability. There are many things like animations, shaders, lighting that are not implemented in these videos. The general opinion I'm hearing from the Alpha videos is good, and people are shocked it is a much smoother, and a huge improvement over the original.

The game really needed a Final Fantasy feel, it is exactly what has been missing from the series lately. Yoshi-P is a godsend for the series. I have faith (due to what I have seen + the direction 1.0 took since Yoshi-P) that even while adopting some more modern MMO practices, the game definitely will feel like it belongs as a Final Fantasy.
    "To be forgotten is worse than death."