Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Age

Cosmo Nova RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll: Age

What age would you like your protagonist to be?
    Under 14
    14-17
    18-21
    22-29
    30-40
    Over 40
    'The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread.' So this is it, huh folks?

I'm tired of childish / teenage heroes. That is all.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I generally prefer anything over 18. Though now that I'm in my 30s, my preference is leaing towards post-college-age.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    I care less about the age and more about the personality

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    22 and older. Seriously, give us adult protagonists.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    This.

I do have to Echo Paw's statement though: personality and development is key. However, with teenagers and below, development is extremely predictable. This is less because young people aren't interesting, and more because writers don't know how to write.

Ideally, I want adult characters who are well-developed. Who doesn't?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I care less about the age and more about the personality
    True, the characters in the Persona games (especially 4) are amazing because they actaully seem like teenagers.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I think the survey reflects that there is at least one generation of gamers who are adults now and want their own adult themed games and a more mature protagnonist to identify with. As we have grown more assured and confident of our tastes, we want an alternative to the "coming of age" style games where the protagonist struggles with puberty , making friends and emotional problems as well as the fight against evil.
    Of course role-playing games are about trying a role other than you are and we may want to relive that abdolescence, but it is interesting in games such as Diablo 3 where all the classes are clearly adult, with the barbarian looking like a middle-aged or older veteran with iron grey hair.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I have to agree with Paws and Ocelot. If I find a lead character likeable and with a great or interesting personality, then I don't care how old he or she is. It also helps greatly if it's a dynamic character who clearly grows and changes over the course of the game.
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

I picked 22-29 since I'm in that age range, I definitely prefer adult protagonists since I am of course an adult, and want my RPG plots to be more mature than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    This. This. This.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I like protagonists that aren't idiots. Too many of the teen characters seem to be of below average competence to make the average person feel superior to the protagonist, which seems condescending to me. I'd like to see some Jade Curtis or Gandalf types in the lead every now and then.

hehe I bought two games when I got my PSP, Jeanne D'arc and Valkyria chronicales two. I loved the protagonist-Jeanne D'arc and in fact the rest of the cast, she was a believable portrayal of what the historical character. In Valkyria chronicles 2 however we have laughing idiot boy Avan, whose irritating laugh will haunt me forever, strangely the characters in VC2 remind me of Bleach, except Avan is nowhere as cool as Ichigo, we have a blonde cutie and the bespectacles dark haird serious rival.

I went for 22-29, which is my age group incidentally. However, I probably would have gone for this when I was a bit younger as well. I like protagonists that are a bit more mature and older than their teens. Please, no more characters like Tidus...

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    i don't mind teenagers, if they act like teenager and do generally teenaged things. but don't try and sell me that 15 year old is an elite commando.

I would like my hero to be around 30-40. Mature enough for me to actually take him seriously, yet not so old that he can't actually fight.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

I'm trying to think of RPGs where the main character is over 40, and I actually can't think of very many. NieR, Planescape: Torment... FFIV: The After Years, depending on who you consider to be the main character... any others?

The first two of those are pretty awesome, at least.

I would love to see more leading characters around the same age of Nier. Somebody who's old enough to maybe have a little kid or something and already know a bit about life, yet still have more room to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    I'm trying to think of RPGs where the main character is over 40, and I actually can't think of very many. NieR, Planescape: Torment... FFIV: The After Years, depending on who you consider to be the main character... any others?

The first two of those are pretty awesome, at least.
    Yep you're right. Maybe the main character in "To the Moon?" Haven't played the game yet (its in my backlog) but I guess you could consider him a main character that's over 40.

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    22-29 please! so i dont feel bad about thinking he is hot.