Thread: A Dragon Quest VII Trailer Approaches

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

A Dragon Quest VII Trailer Approaches

Dragon Quest VII has been given a dramatic graphical overhaul, and has gained new dimensions in more ways than one. Watch the heroes of this game as they dance the night away and smash some very expensive-looking slimes.

[Link]

Bonus fun fact: A mix-up briefly had this video listed as "Final Fantasy VII Remake Trailer" internally. This may have given one of our staff a heart attack (or so he claims).

Please, Nintendo, localize this and the other 3DS DQ games.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    It wasn't a mix-up so much as a complete Ocelot brain fart. I've played 20% more Dragon Quest VII than I have Final Fantasy VII... by which I mean I've played about 20% of Dragon Quest VII. I'm definitely interested in picking up this version of the game and actually playing through the whole thing, especially with the waaaaaay better graphics. Hopefully they'll up the pacing to tolerable levels as well.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Yeah, I remember it taking about one or two hours before encountering the first enemies.

This game would convince me to get a 3DS in a heartbeat. The music is pure nostalgia for me. And I'm loving that they seem to be using a very DQ8 style overworld from what I can tell. Please Squeenix, take my money and another 200 hours of my time!

Beautiful-looking game. Too grindy for me though, by far my least favorite Dragon Quest game.

Same here the ps1 version took me 1 to 2 hours to start fighting another 30 hours to master every human job class/hybrid skill as soon as the jobs are unlocked which WAS well worth it.

As for a Localization if Square Enix won't do it odds are Nintendo themselves WILL.

DQ7 and SMT4 will be enough to make me purchase a 3DS. I don't mind even excessive levels of grinding in certain series, particularly DQ and Disgaea, so this one looks to be right up my alley.

Really hope we get this and some other RPGs some time soon in Europe. We've been a bit neglected compared to North America recently... Crimson Shroud and Tales of the Abyss are among the few we have so far.
    DQVII will fill a hole in my Dragon Quest collection if I could get it. I've heard mostly bad things about it though, and that kind of killed my motivation to track down a PS1 copy...I really enjoyed IV, V and VI on the DS, so I hope this is along the same lines.

That was fast. Looks like the video's been removed by the user already :/

Edit: You can still find it on youtube here.
    Last edited by SpaceLion; 12-15-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: lost and found

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post

Bonus fun fact: A mix-up briefly had this video listed as "Final Fantasy VII Remake Trailer" internally. This may have given one of our staff a heart attack (or so he claims).
    Which leads to the obvious question: If SE can remake DQ7 like this, why aren't they doing the same for FF7?

Quote Originally Posted by Laephis View Post
    Which leads to the obvious question: If SE can remake DQ7 like this, why aren't they doing the same for FF7?
    Because SE isn't remaking it.
    Aside from DQX, which SE internally developed due to their understanding of the MMO infrastructure, SE has no involvement in the DQ series aside from publishing and promoting the games.

DQ has always been led by Hori's studio Armor Project for scenario and design, with Toriyama's Bird Studio for the artwork, composed by Sugiyama, and them bringing in a company to physically develop the games, whether that's ArtePiazza, Chunsoft, Heartbeat, Level 5 or SE for DQX.

DQVII 3DS just happens to be ArtePiazza, who handled the Zenithia trilogy DS remakes and DQV PS2.

It looks amazing. Square Enix should only make Dragon Quest games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiael View Post
    Because SE isn't remaking it.
    Aside from DQX, which SE internally developed due to their understanding of the MMO infrastructure, SE has no involvement in the DQ series aside from publishing and promoting the games.

DQ has always been led by Hori's studio Armor Project for scenario and design, with Toriyama's Bird Studio for the artwork, composed by Sugiyama, and them bringing in a company to physically develop the games, whether that's ArtePiazza, Chunsoft, Heartbeat, Level 5 or SE for DQX.

DQVII 3DS just happens to be ArtePiazza, who handled the Zenithia trilogy DS remakes and DQV PS2.
    They're an organization in the business of making money, right? Outsource if they want to like the DQ series, who cares. The point is if they can back a remake of a PS-era DQ game, I find the excuses for not doing it for FF7 ring rather hollow.

Looks like it could be done on the original DS hardware o_o

You don't seriously think that do you? The original DS could not pull off effects that crisp, push that many polygons at once, or have textures of that quality. Just compare the characters in these two screens or the slimes in these two screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Laephis View Post
    They're an organization in the business of making money, right? Outsource if they want to like the DQ series, who cares. The point is if they can back a remake of a PS-era DQ game, I find the excuses for not doing it for FF7 ring rather hollow.
    Because the SE of this gen would just likely screw it up?

DQ is different in that it's the same 3 behind all the games, with Hori making sure everything runs fine with the developer who's physically developing it.

SE has the potential to do an excellent job, but they also have the potential to do it horribly.
    Look at The 3rd Birthday or FFXIII to an extent, or look at Versus XIII, which it could be stuck in development hell.

I want an FFV and FFVI 3DS remake in the same vein as FFIII and FFIV DS before FFVII anyways, and given they could just work with Matrix again.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Looks like it could be done on the original DS hardware o_o
    After spending a LOT of time playing DQ9, I really don't agree. This looks much better than DQ9 did, and that isn't even taking the 3D effect into account. Overall, I think this looks quite nice.