Thread: Begin Your Odyssey With the Landsknecht

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Begin Your Odyssey With the Landsknecht

Landsknecht sounds way cooler than "Servant of the Lands," doesn't it? See how this cool and collected sword master operates in Etrian Odyssey IV with this trailer.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'd rather they made new classes rather than bring back a class from the first game, but if they must bring it back I guess that it's at least good that they seem to be changing it up a bit.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowing Hyren View Post
    I'd rather they made new classes rather than bring back a class from the first game, but if they must bring it back I guess that it's at least good that they seem to be changing it up a bit.
    The classes in Etrian Odyssey IV generally look like they are returning from EO1 and EO2, but I get the impression that similarities will be mostly superficial. They are probably going to play a lot more like new classes than returning ones, and the Landsknecht is the one class that is going to be the most familiar, I bet.

Anyways, this trailer reinforces the idea that I need to add a Landsknecht to my EO4 team. Of course, there is a good chance that a trailer for any of these classes will make me want to add that class to my team... Five slots can feel so limiting with the great classes available in these games.

I guess I'm wondering now why they would bother reusing class names if the mechanics aren't duplicated? EO is not exactly known for having consistent classes, so I don't think you really gain anything in the way of name recognition value and those who do recognize the names are likely to be confused by different mechanics. It seems like a really strange decision to me.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

I've played a few SMT games but I can't remember playing Etrian O. This trailer looks really good to me, I know it's a single person crawler type. To be honest I'm a sucker for shiny weapons as well >.<; and the anime type graphics.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowing Hyren View Post
    I guess I'm wondering now why they would bother reusing class names if the mechanics aren't duplicated? EO is not exactly known for having consistent classes, so I don't think you really gain anything in the way of name recognition value and those who do recognize the names are likely to be confused by different mechanics. It seems like a really strange decision to me.
    Well, in truth they are only reusing a few class names, as least as I am aware, though so far I am more familiar with the Japanese class names for 4 and I don't know how they will be localized. Still, to use a few examples, the only two classes that have the same name between 1 and 4 in the Japanese versions are the Swordman (Landsknecht) and the Medic.

Most other classes have a similar concept, but a different name and specifics. The old Alchemist is now the Runemaster. Archer (Survivalist) is now a Sniper. Paladin (Protector) is now a Fortress. Dark Hunter is now a Nightseeker. Bard (Troubadour) has been replaced by the Dancer. Other classes are even more dramatically different. So, while they resemble the old classes and are meant to fill similar roles, they really are new classes. Which is partly why I said that I expect Landsknecht to be the most familiar class.