Thread: Crimson Shroud Launches With a Trailer

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Crimson Shroud Launches With a Trailer

Get ready to move miniatures around and roll some dice, because Yasumi Matsuno is bringing the RPG genre back to its roots with his newly launched game. Using an actual pen to play this virtual pen-and-paper RPG might scratch your 3DS screen, though, so stick with the stylus.

[Link]

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    This...terrifyingly enough interests me.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'm playing it and having fun. There's a surprising amount of detail put into the world for such a short game, and the combat system is pretty cool. Just don't expect dynamic graphics of any kind. It's more like reading a Choose Your Own Adventure, but with a much lower chance of cheap death.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I've already beaten the game once and am playing the New Game+ mode now, and I'm really enjoying it. The complete lack of character animation feels a little weird at first, but the well-written text more than makes up for it. My biggest complaint is just that I wish it were longer; it took me a little over 5 hours to beat it, although I've heard some people take a few more hours depending on how much grinding they have to do.

As a side note, it would be totally sweet if somebody made actual gaming miniatures based on the in-game models. I'd buy them. (but I play a lot of Pathfinder)
    Last edited by Minneyar; 12-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.

I think the art direction is pretty cool, making the characters and enemies look like game pieces that would stand up on an actual board.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    I've played maybe an hour, and if it really ends that quickly (still in the first dungeon) we should have a review soon. Not making a strong negative or positive impression on me, though playing it in line for postal service probably had something to do with that. Definitely interesting, at least.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

For what it's worth, there's some new content in the New Game+ -- enough that I'd say it's worth playing through the game again if you enjoyed it the first time -- although you probably don't need to experience all of it in order to successfully review it.

Coincidentally, I actually was also playing it while waiting in line at the post office yesterday...

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    *sigh* well this all sounds disappointing...

I love the look of the game and characters.... and as a dnd gamer the concept looked like it would be fun. But 5 hours in length.... just broke my heart. Leaving me a little sore in how to think of it. Is it a full price title or 5 bucks?

Guess it will be a pass for me.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    It's $8 for whatever that means. Certainly won't break the bank.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Don't let me saying that I beat it in 5 hours discourage you. For what it's worth, that's a little low; some people I've talked to took up to 8 hours. There's a New Game+ mode that also has new content and increased difficulty, too. You might be able to get 15 hours out of the game if you wanted to really "complete" it. In my opinion it's definitely worth $8.

I think it looks fun. I'll definitely be picking it up.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I just downloaded this a little while ago. Don't know when I'll get to it, but it looks and sounds interesting.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Wishing I had a 3DS to spend some time with this. It's definitely on my want list when I finally buy a 3DS. Seems different but cool!
    Bean Forever

I'll get it later on. Five hours definitely isn't bad for 8 bucks.