Thread: The Seekers of Adoulin Will Set Out in March

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

The Seekers of Adoulin Will Set Out in March

The history of MMOs is plagued with countless failures, but Final Fantasy XI is not one of them. It may not have as many expansions as Everquest, but it is still offering some tempting new content to lure in potential subscribers.

[Link]
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 12-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Admittedly, i was one of those who left this game 2 years ago after the decision to raise the level cap from 75 to 99. I thoughtlessly agreed with those who felt the game had been destroyed and moved on. Now that i have recently re-subscribed, i have realised just how much Tanaka made this game BETTER.

If there was always one collective GROAN about FFXI, it was the tireless exp party grind. Put up your invite flag, get a party and go stand in a camp for hundreds ... thousands of hours ... killing one mob at a time endlessly on your way up to level 75. For 8 years, this was the pedestal of in game experience surrounding all of its great content. I even enjoyed it somewhat... but NO MORE! Tanaka completely obliterated that grind in one epic move.

The base rate of exp gain has been increased by 400%, and exp parties in Abyssea can net you 50k, even 100-300k an hour in exp. If you sit down and play all day you can get a job from Level 30 to Level 99 in a week. This is not a bad thing at all. You've got over 20 other jobs to level, and the game is 10 years old. It's not reasonable to use the old curve. Plus, leveling is just one thing. The main focus should be the wealth of content, which is exactly where the focus now is.

(A brief note on Abyssea for returning players: At first when you gain access, the time restriction will seem daunting. You get one stone worth 30 minutes of play time every 20 hours and can only carry three stones at a time. MOBS DROP EXTRA TIME. In a party, this will quickly provide you with such a wealth of extra time that you'll soon have something like 10 hours, and pretty much you'll never need to worry about time again from your first exp party. Also, the exp works on a curve, so during the first half hour, you will barely see any exp ... maybe 10k ... but it's setup as one long chain bonus, so after a couple hours you'll be getting 600exp per kill, and it's an 18 player alliance, so there's lots of kills.)

Now, moving up to level 99, one would argue that this kills all the old Level 75 content that the game offers. yes and no... The population is holding strong (about 1,500 on my server during peak hours and 1,000 in off hours), but it's not practical in the long term future of this game to require players to find an 18 person alliance or 6 player parties for content that is half a decade old or more.

At level 99 you can now go solo or duo or trio with a couple players any and mostly all content up through the Wings of the goddess expansion. You no longer need to worry about how to just get the people you need together to play it. Just log in and go. Go and experience what is arguably the best storyline this series has ever offered. All you really need is yourself. Any fellow adventurers you take with you just adds to the experience.

This game is now looking to the future. A NEW endgame, where it can focus its remaining player base in the years to come. Seekers of Adoulin IS that major influx of new endgame content. The new gathering place and content where you group together in parties of 6 or more.

Plus, the music is as easy on the ears as ever, and you can now set the resolution up to 2056 pixels wide and long. The game is 10 years old, but visually it is holding up well. There's also been mention of a UI overhaul. I'm not sure what this means in terms of design, but it's probably a good thing.
    Last edited by NefarioCall; 12-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.

In keeping with tradition, this is a Day One Import™

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I really wish FFXI would go free already. I left the game with a 75 Dragoon RIGHT when they started to give the DRG class some stronger properties! I even had a (naked) Bard at 75 so I could grind with him and pimp out my DRG.

I remember telling my guild I would be their bard *****, but i would only buy all his songs and run around with no gear on. No one seemed to mind as Bard's were a hot commodity and every exp party wanted one, regardless of equips.

Oh, those were the good ole days.

Quote Originally Posted by NefarioCall View Post
    Admittedly, i was one of those who left this game 2 years ago after the decision to raise the level cap from 75 to 99. I thoughtlessly agreed with those who felt the game had been destroyed and moved on. Now that i have recently re-subscribed, i have realised just how much Tanaka made this game BETTER.

If there was always one collective GROAN about FFXI, it was the tireless exp party grind. Put up your invite flag, get a party and go stand in a camp for hundreds ... thousands of hours ... killing one mob at a time endlessly on your way up to level 75. For 8 years, this was the pedestal of in game experience surrounding all of its great content. I even enjoyed it somewhat... but NO MORE! Tanaka completely obliterated that grind in one epic move.

The base rate of exp gain has been increased by 400%, and exp parties in Abyssea can net you 50k, even 100-300k an hour in exp. If you sit down and play all day you can get a job from Level 30 to Level 99 in a week. This is not a bad thing at all. You've got over 20 other jobs to level, and the game is 10 years old. It's not reasonable to use the old curve. Plus, leveling is just one thing. The main focus should be the wealth of content, which is exactly where the focus now is.

(A brief note on Abyssea for returning players: At first when you gain access, the time restriction will seem daunting. You get one stone worth 30 minutes of play time every 20 hours and can only carry three stones at a time. MOBS DROP EXTRA TIME. In a party, this will quickly provide you with such a wealth of extra time that you'll soon have something like 10 hours, and pretty much you'll never need to worry about time again from your first exp party. Also, the exp works on a curve, so during the first half hour, you will barely see any exp ... maybe 10k ... but it's setup as one long chain bonus, so after a couple hours you'll be getting 600exp per kill, and it's an 18 player alliance, so there's lots of kills.)

Now, moving up to level 99, one would argue that this kills all the old Level 75 content that the game offers. yes and no... The population is holding strong (about 1,500 on my server during peak hours and 1,000 in off hours), but it's not practical in the long term future of this game to require players to find an 18 person alliance or 6 player parties for content that is half a decade old or more.

At level 99 you can now go solo or duo or trio with a couple players any and mostly all content up through the Wings of the goddess expansion. You no longer need to worry about how to just get the people you need together to play it. Just log in and go. Go and experience what is arguably the best storyline this series has ever offered. All you really need is yourself. Any fellow adventurers you take with you just adds to the experience.

This game is now looking to the future. A NEW endgame, where it can focus its remaining player base in the years to come. Seekers of Adoulin IS that major influx of new endgame content. The new gathering place and content where you group together in parties of 6 or more.

Plus, the music is as easy on the ears as ever, and you can now set the resolution up to 2056 pixels wide and long. The game is 10 years old, but visually it is holding up well. There's also been mention of a UI overhaul. I'm not sure what this means in terms of design, but it's probably a good thing.
    Tanaka had nothing to do with Abyssea. That was all Matsui, I believe, the guy who took over for Tanaka.

I like Tanaka for what he did in terms of single player RPGs, but he's the person you have to thank for things like Voidwatch and in general, a lot of things that many people disliked about FFXI.

Abyssea's kind of a mixed bag; it's definitely cool how it streamlined a lot of things, but it also dropped the collective intelligence of some players. I agree that the exp grind in XI was a bit much, but. . well, that's a rant for another time.

sorry but to me abbysa ruined a very good hardcore mmo and turned my fun into mush and allowed more idots to be lvl 99 newbes. The old system didn't stop all of them but it usually let you know who could not play their job correctly sooner. I totally miss meeting random people and laughing when stuff went wrong...
    as for the new expansion we'll see if it fixes some of the mistakes or is just fun...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

She Shoots For The Stars Moderator maryadavies's Avatar
    Scar; It prolly won't go free for a long time. Tho if you REALLY want to play it free; Look up a site called Swagbucks. You can try to get 100 swagbucks a day (TERRIBLE grind though) and earn a free $20 ultimate points card in a month, which will pay for a month of FFXI. (Ultimate points translate into crysta, which pays for FFXI). This is possible so you can keep doing this, but it is insane to do. (It'll drive you bonkers, let me tell you, I tried once. It takes about 3-5 hours of watching videos to get that much, ugh! There are things that give more, but most of them are things like "Get this credit card"; uh. I dun like spam and I don't need extra credit cards, thank you.)

...Unless Square goes crazy and decides to quit milking their best cash cow (which is what FFXI is) that's the only way you can play free. Me, I'd rather not pound out Swagbucks that hard and just get $5 Amazon gift cards (I go for about 20 swagbucks a day, which is very doable without driving yourself insane.) There are a lot better ways to pay for a game after all.

Oh and yes, there are other ways to earn free Ultimate Points I think. Swagbucks is the most legit way I've seen so far though to get 'em free since Playspan got hacked. (Square added the ability to pay the bill with ultimate points via buying crysta about a year ago). I have heard of a few bans involving Ultimate Points, so I'd stick to legit ways of getting ultimate points cards if you go for earning them instead of walking to Wal-Mart and buying a card. ^^ (It's not the only way to pay; You can use credit/debit cards directly, something paypal like that everyone hates called ClickAndBuy(Very shady outfit from Britain, better not to use that service), and crysta, which you can use UltimatePay to buy, clickandbuy again, or credit cards directly. Ultimate Pay means ultimate points.)
    Last edited by maryadavies; 01-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.

My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    sorry but to me abbysa ruined a very good hardcore mmo and turned my fun into mush and allowed more idots to be lvl 99 newbes. The old system didn't stop all of them but it usually let you know who could not play their job correctly sooner. I totally miss meeting random people and laughing when stuff went wrong...
    as for the new expansion we'll see if it fixes some of the mistakes or is just fun...
    I preferred the game before they raised the level cap and brought in abyssea as well. I'd rather the old ways of exp partying than running around in worm parties. I'm just looking at their decision and thinking maybe there's some good intelligence behind it. There used to be over 2,000 people online at any given time, and just prior to abyssea, that number had sunk below 1,000. ...and the more end game content that gets added, the more those remaining 1,000 and the things they want to tackle gets thinned amongst the end game options (all of which can now be soloed/duoed/trioed instead of needing 18 player alliances). Plus, i remember thinking to myself when they released geomancer 'How much longer are people actually going to party in the dunes'?

I'd rather the cap was still 75 and abyssea didn't exist, but i feel like i can understand why it is a good idea if this game is going to survive another 10 years. It's also why this expansion is so important to me though. End game is right now ... as a result ... pathetic. Abyssea NMs and Voidwatch NMs basically. There's no substance... so the expansion is absolutely necessary. I hope it starts the rebuild effectively.

I preferred the game before they raised the level cap and brought in abyssea as well. I'd rather the old ways of exp partying than running around in worm parties. I'm just looking at their decision and thinking maybe there's some good intelligence behind it. There used to be over 2,000 people online at any given time, and just prior to abyssea, that number had sunk below 1,000. ...and the more end game content that gets added, the more those remaining 1,000 and the things they want to tackle gets thinned amongst the end game options (all of which can now be soloed/duoed/trioed instead of needing 18 player alliances). Plus, i remember thinking to myself when they released geomancer 'How much longer are people actually going to party in the dunes'?

I'd rather the cap was still 75 and abyssea didn't exist, but i feel like i can understand why it is a good idea if this game is going to survive another 10 years. It's also why this expansion is so important to me though. End game is right now ... as a result ... pathetic. Abyssea NMs and Voidwatch NMs basically. There's no substance... so the expansion is absolutely necessary. I hope it starts the rebuild effectively.
    The thing is that I've always belived that abbysa was for high level players. Setting the level cap at 30 was a big mistake as all the monsters are not killable at that level. It should have been set at 65 or higher and what most people call keying I call leaching.

The wait times on the old system were caused by the lack of new players which sadly is what happens to alot of mmos as they age. It could have been solved by doing more advertising to promote the game as I've noticed that Blizzard has never stopped doing this for WoW.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Without Abyssea, FFXI would be dead. For better or worse, it's the kick the game needed to stay alive.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

She Shoots For The Stars Moderator maryadavies's Avatar
    *nods to Quin* Sadly that is the case. I hope this new expansion is going to be good as well; FFXI needs a few more kicks in the rear to survive I think. ^^

My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.