Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Returns in a Trailer

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Lightning Returns in a Trailer

The first footage of Lightning's promised return to consoles has been released. Check here to see the creed that Square Enix has applied to the next game in the Final Fantasy XIII series.

[ Story ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

More Lighting= good thing.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I really like Lightning as a character, and the gameplay looks like fun. However, I got burned real bad on the ending of XIII-2, and I'm not sure it's worth the risk again. Figure I'll wait for a review here instead of pre-ordering like I usually do with FF titles.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I'll be getting it, just because it interests me, and because from the way it looks it will be the end of the FFXIII games (hopefully).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Well I cant wait for it to come out and... that will be?
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

Hope it doesn't have those Hands of Time puzzles...

More Lighting= good thing.
    Lighting is good. I like lighting. As for Lightning...meh, she's a near perfect clone of my step-sister (including the attitude). I just can't get into her.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    Figure I'll wait for a review here instead of pre-ordering like I usually do with FF titles.
    Me as well. I didn't think that FF13 was quite good enough to deserve a sequel, and I'm not really sure why they're making a third. I want it to be good, but I'm going to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Simba B View Post
    Hope it doesn't have those Hands of Time puzzles...
    You're not kidding. After playing through a couple of those, I figured it would be faster if I just wrote a python script to brute-force solve them for me. It's a bad sign when a mini-game is that irritating...

I didn't think that FF13 was quite good enough to deserve a sequel, and I'm not really sure why they're making a third.
    Yay for money.

I'm digging her redesign, but nothing short of a combat system overhaul will persuade me to purchase XIII-3. Also, those sunglasses are ridiculous.

Can't tell whether this game is purposely trying to invoke the surrealist look of the pre-rendered backgrounds in the PS1 Final Fantasy games (FFVIII in particular) or it's just being made on a budget.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    [QUOTE=ironmage;449988]Me as well. I didn't think that FF13 was quite good enough to deserve a sequel, and I'm not really sure why they're making a third. I want it to be good, but I'm going to wait.

I agree, I don't understand why this game has gotten a sequel and a spinoff. The only reasoning I can think of is that they are milking the game engine/battle system for everything they can get.

Square Enix.... it's time to move on.

...Square Enix.... it's time to move on...
    ---
    I agree. I want something else.
    But, I would like to try this battle system.

I really want to not buy this game. It reinforces bad developer behavior.

Lighting is good. I like lighting. As for Lightning...meh, she's a near perfect clone of my step-sister (including the attitude). I just can't get into her.
    hehehe you got me. Just for that I"m not going to edit my typo. You will just have to live with the missing "n" for all time
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I probably should not post in this thread again, as I already expressed my opinion.

But as I search the web for FF Type-O information... I find myself lost in understanding the direction of Square-Enix.

I have to wonder why a fresh new title like Type-O... was not localized. And all this work is being put into "Lightning Returns" (Please just let ff13 die). It fuels my fear that this company is moving away from rpg's and trying to jump into the action game market... where it simply does not belong.

Meh... sorry for the rant lol.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I have a feeling they never localized Type-0 because they felt the PSP market was dead (which it kinda is). In other words, we didn't get it just because people don't like the PSP in the US.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Yeah, I don't get why they're making so many sequels of this game of all games. I sure miss the old days when I could get really excited about FF.

Maybe they should port Type-0 to a system people use. It looked more intriguing.

This game looks like it's almost completely different from FFXIII though, with only a few recurring characters in an new setting and a vastly modify battle system. It almost looks like the difference between Raidou Kuzunoha and Nocturne.

I mean yeah, of course they could take it even further and remove all references to FFXIII and create a new engine for it, but this is 2012, where any new AAA game practically requires two sequels reusing the same engine/art assets to make a decent profit. Square Enix have finally learned what more budget-conscious Atlus worked out 10 years ago (although still can't seem to turn a profit, for whatever reason).
    Last edited by Drav; 12-30-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Yeah stepping back the FFXIII games seem so disconnected. I see Lightning as more of a poster girl. They put her on the cover of FFXIII and made her the focus of the game trailers. But she was more of a foil to help develop the other characters in the first game. Then she got a completely different fantasy knight outfit but only played a behind the scenes role in FFXIII-2 with Noel and Sara as the main characters; but Lightning was on the cover anyways.

It's like Vaan in FFXII. He didn't play a major role in the story but he ended up in FFTA2 and FFXII Revenant Wings. Why?