Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature - Most Desired PlayStation Classics

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Feature - Most Desired PlayStation Classics

As someone who loves her PlayStation games, there's still a few classics that not everyone has had the chance to enjoy. I'd like to recommend a few classics that not everyone has had the chance to enjoy.

PlayStation Classics, yo!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    I would still love to see Jade Cocoon on the NA PSN. It's been available on the JPN PSN since 2008.

Not fair.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    All good games that deserve PSN releases. WHY HAVEN'T THEY GIVEN US THESE YET!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????? /sadness
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Awesome list of games and memories. Including the honorable mentions. Each of which were great in their own way.

And yes, where the heck are the psn releases for these titles!

Stuff like this makes me wonder how difficult it is to get an old psx title working on the ps3 via the store. Is it a licensing issue? Lack of programmers with time to devote to it? It certainly isn't a space issue, and those are all quality titles, so it's not a quality issue.

One of mine for this list would be Saiyuki: Journey West. I was pleasantly surprised by it, the cast was enjoyable, and it was a fun take on the original story.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    Stuff like this makes me wonder how difficult it is to get an old psx title working on the ps3 via the store. Is it a licensing issue? Lack of programmers with time to devote to it? It certainly isn't a space issue, and those are all quality titles, so it's not a quality issue.

One of mine for this list would be Saiyuki: Journey West. I was pleasantly surprised by it, the cast was enjoyable, and it was a fun take on the original story.
    Saiyuki is actually avaliable to download digitally on PSN as we speak!

I'm also with InstaTrent; I would like Jade Cocoon on PSN as it's one of the PSX RPGs I never got to play.

But man, I miss Vandal Hearts. The first one was good, but I really, really, loved Vandal Hearts II. The only problem is that it was loooooooooooong.

Blood geysers FTW.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

I can only account for why Suikoden II and Lunar are not going to come to PSN. Suikoden II still to this day has not been given an ESRB rating. Sony will not post the game for sale on PSN without one and it's Konami's job to do so and they aren't going to. They are a cash strapped company and they aren't going to pump money into it. With Lunar well the publisher Working Designs is out of business so I doubt we will ever see anything about that.

The eBay rundown: Last 3 completed auctions average price:
    Suikoden II: $180
    Valkyrie Profile: $73
    Legend of Legaia: $33
    Persona 2: $91
    Vandal Hearts: $21
    Lunar 2: $61

For comparison purposes:
    Final Fantasy VII: $26

Quote Originally Posted by Solution9 View Post
    I can only account for why Suikoden II and Lunar are not going to come to PSN. Suikoden II still to this day has not been given an ESRB rating. Sony will not post the game for sale on PSN without one and it's Konami's job to do so and they aren't going to. They are a cash strapped company and they aren't going to pump money into it. With Lunar well the publisher Working Designs is out of business so I doubt we will ever see anything about that.
    Don't give up hope yet. Monkey Paw Games got us Alundra, the Arc the Lad games, Tomba!, and Vanguard Bandits onto the PSN. Considering quite a few of those are Working Designs games, there's still hope (as miniscule as that is).
    User Database Check

Such a fun article, and it really makes me think about how much cash Sony could get from me with these releases. I actually just found a copy of Thousand Arms in a used game store and snagged it up. Much rather have it as a digital download though. And Legaia! Haha what a fun game. Yeah I miss those days. the PSN needs to step it up. You should email Sony a link to this
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Let's not forget Star Ocean 2, although I suppose it was successful enough to not need a mention.

Funny this is coming up right now. Turns out my sister-in-law sold all of her old games to pay rent and she is now trying to rebuild her gaming collection. We are currently working on her PSX collection. Alas, she insists on finding actual discs instead of just downloading them to a PS3 (most of the games she is looking for are common, not rare like in this article).

As for some of those games one day showing up on PSN...hey, we all thought Skies of Arcadia would never again see the light of day, but lo and behold, it looks like we'll get it sometime in the future.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 01-03-2013 at 04:44 PM.

I don't have a PS3 or a PSP/Vita, so this doesn't affect me at this point- I get my PS1 fix with the original discs playing on my PS2 still.

BUT, of all the games I'd want that aren't already there, weren't mentioned in the topic, and that I don't currently have physical copies of, I'd probably say the King's Field series. I have fond memories of the first one we got (KF2 in Japan, just titled Kings Field here), and after playing the hell out of Dark Souls, I've got an itch to play the spiritual ancestor series again.

As a side note, seeing that $180 average for Suikoden 2, I'm pretty stoked that I picked up a complete copy last year for $75. Still need to play it though. I'm ok seeing that one stay off PSN so my copy retains its value

I don't think Working Designs being out of business is the reason. They did the Arc the Lad Collection and that is available on PSN. It's probably because Lunar got a re-release on PSP that they're not bothering porting it to PSN.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Let's not forget Star Ocean 2, although I suppose it was successful enough to not need a mention.
    It got a PSP enhanced port, so yeah, no need to mention it.
    User Database Check

Legaia has technical issues with the PS3's backwards compatibility (at least on my fat one), so it would definitely warrant a rerelease if they fix said problems.

I thought LEgaia was on the pSN as well
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Suikoden 2 is pretty much the only one I want out of there, though I would take some of the others. I actually would love to own all my PS1 games off the PSN so I could play them on my PSP. Oddly I don't think I can think of any PS1 RPGs that I played and enjoyed that either weren't mentioned here or aren't already on there. I'll have to think about that a bit I think.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Honestly i could not be more mad at psn and sony. In japan They have the WHOLE ps2 and psx catalogs on thier psn. Why do we get the shaft. I also dont see them adding ANY new games. last year they were atleast doing one a week. Now they slowed down to one every 3 months and the last addition was god damn TOMBA! Are you joking i waited 2 months for tomba. What the hell is ps doing. Also they said a new ps2 game would be released every week and we still have only like 15 after 2 years. This is pathetic. It really is.

I can't advocate Legaia. It was average then and had the bad polygon graphics. I can only imagine how terrible it looks on today's big screens. But mostly its that there's so many better games out there.