Thread: Demon's Souls Places a Soul Sign on PSN

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Demon's Souls Places a Soul Sign on PSN

The people at Atlus are kicking off the new year by making it easier than ever before for players to be trapped in an endless struggle against horrifying demons and heartless Black Phantoms. Isn't that awfully nice of them?

[Link]

On a more personal note, I've been stuck on the boss of 1-4 for way too long now. This might be a good chance to get back into the game and see if I can finally get past that point... That boss's special ability is just way too unfair.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    How nice of them. Now if only they could NOT kill us so violently. You still feel all that pain when you respawn.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

TB what soul level are you? I could join and help you out depending on your level.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    TB what soul level are you? I could join and help you out depending on your level.
    I'm Soul Level 82, apparently. I booted the game up again just to try to get back a feel for it a little while ago. I'm fighting like a beginner because I'm so out of practice, but I still managed to get the Soul I needed for two levels.

I'd personally just as soon start from scratch so I know what I'm doing.
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    I'd personally just as soon start from scratch so I know what I'm doing.
    I'd consider that if it didn't mean throwing away nearly 60 hours effort of exploration and beating tough opponents when I am so close. I've been down that route before and more often than not it makes things worse. Not that I'd mind trying an offline playthrough with more awareness of world tendency and a different strategy...

Demon's Souls really is amazing, the more I think about it...

You never said 60 hours originally. It took me about 15-20 hours to get to 1-4 originally (meaning 1-2 days of playing).
    User Database Check

I'm SL99 on one of my chars, so I think that could work. The only problem though is I'm on new game+ so I'm not sure of the restrictions between NG and NG+.

If you can't find anyone to play co-op with in 1-4, I'd consider going offline while trying to get to him. If I remember, that area is probably the highest Black Phantom gathering in the game. As for the boss- you can cheese him with arrows by running away all the time and waiting till he does his lengthy AOE attack and firing 1-3 arrows per time.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I'm SL99 on one of my chars, so I think that could work. The only problem though is I'm on new game+ so I'm not sure of the restrictions between NG and NG+.

If you can't find anyone to play co-op with in 1-4, I'd consider going offline while trying to get to him. If I remember, that area is probably the highest Black Phantom gathering in the game. As for the boss- you can cheese him with arrows by running away all the time and waiting till he does his lengthy AOE attack and firing 1-3 arrows per time.
    I'm not sure if it would work with new game plus. I suppose it would feel a little odd doing that way anyways, considering I haven't really used too much Phantom help anyways.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I suppose I could try something like that, and at the very least the tendency bonus for tomorrow combined with a little more practice should be more than enough. A few attempts today have already helped me get some of my older skills back. I just need to stop getting hit by that one accursed attack (which shouldn't even be that hard to dodge!).

I just need to stop getting hit by that one accursed attack (which shouldn't even be that hard to dodge!).
    I dunno because I haven't played, but if it's anything like Dark Souls, my first response is to determine what the damage type of the attack is and then see if there is anything in my inventory that reduces that kind of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I dunno because I haven't played, but if it's anything like Dark Souls, my first response is to determine what the damage type of the attack is and then see if there is anything in my inventory that reduces that kind of damage.
    The issue isn't the damage, really... The issue is that this boss has a completely unique ability to permanently lower my level with a certain attack, and as far as I am aware there is absolutely no way to avoid that level loss. It is a slow and short-ranged attack, but it is incredibly frustrating when it hits since it means I need to farm souls to make up the lost level, and I can lose multiple levels each time I fight him. The psychological effect is pretty devastating on me.

I really need to try a longer-range attack strategy.

Oh god...level drain attacks? They were a blight in AD&D. I know the feeling.

Well, a quick search of the boss reveals long range really is the only good strategy. Melee is just too risky because of that move and he's resistent to all magical attacks, although he can be staggered while powering up for his AoE if you whack him.

And a strategy based around the bow actually worked. That's one less worry off of my plate. Now I can move on to Dark Souls without guilt or maybe try it all again with a different character or something...

Thank you everyone who offered support and advice.

Go Pyro if you want easy mode.

Yeah, he's not that hard with long range or magic.

Level drains aren't that big of a deal once you realize how easy soul farming can be. Not compared to how brutal it is in D&D anyway.