Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Pokémon Generation Officially Announced

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Next Pokémon Generation Officially Announced

Pikachu has some excellent news for us. More Pokémon are coming, and we don't even have to wait until months after Japan to start stuffing them into Pokéballs.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'ma get this and enjoy the crap right out of it! I'm thinking the water starter, but I'll get both versions and get all the starters from them! 3D! I saw swinging from a vine, what looks like rollerskates and even some legendary pokemon! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Nintendo giving me Fire Emblem AND Pokemon this year? It's almost enough to make me think they really like my money!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I'm shocked at how soon these are coming out after Black/White. I thought for sure they would release remakes of Ruby and Sapphire before we even got silhouettes of generation 6 Pokémon . It was about a four year gap between the North American releases of Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl as well as between DP and Black/White. It will only be about two for the last gen and the upcoming one.

I'm almost worried that this means Nintendo is rushing these games, but I'll have to hold judgement until these games come out. Gotta say I'm loving the new starters, especially Fennekin the Fire type (I'll likely be continuing my Fire starter tradition). I can't wait to see their full evolutionary lines.

The two likely box Legendaries pretty cool as well, though I really like the X/stag one. With the multi-colored helices in the Japanese logos, they may be partially based on X and Y chromosomes. They could also tie into coordinates for 3D space, seeing as this is the first main series Pokémon on the 3DS. This would of course make the likely third Legendary of the group based on the letter Z.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Wow, it's visually impressive. But how is the story? If it has a good one I might end up finally coming back to the series. But only if it's good.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Judging from screenshots of the places and fashion... I think we are Poke-France this time.

But, yeah, a lot of predicted late 2013 for a new game for Japan and early 2014 for us... They've never done joint release, so this is pretty cool.

I love foxes, so Fennekin will be my starter. I just hope it doesn't become Fire/Fighting. If it does, Gamefreak is outright trolling at this point.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    It will only be about two for the last gen and the upcoming one.
    Three years, Strawberry. Late Sept. 2010 to October 2013. I'm surprised that the international release will follow so quickly, though.

^ I was going by the North American release date of Black/White (it came out in March 2011). It makes more sense to go by Japanese releases, though, especially these game will have a near simultaneous internation release. Three years isn't bad. I suppose it just feels so soon after the previous generation.

I honestly expected the game to come out this year or early next year since it was obvious they were working on 3D models of everything since the original Pokedex app on the 3DS. I just didn't think it would be coming out in North America at the same time. Which is awesome.

Also, Emboar was an awesome fire pig. I wonder how Firefox will compare?

edit- Just thought of this but am I the only one still not done with B/W2?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    The visual design reminds me of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I think this is the 3D-style pokemon game everyone's been clamoring for since the N64

I am totally naming mine Mozilla
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    So many jokes to be made, so little time. It may encounter an error with Windows, it may become Frozen, etc.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Hmm, I kind of have mixed feelings on X/Y. On the one hand, like lots of you guys are saying, the few Pokemon we have seen do look pretty good when compared to their Gen 5 counterparts. Hopefully give off the same vibe. The 3D visuals look crisp and natural for the series too. The trailer makes things look fresh and fun, but will they be?

However, I do think its too soon for yet another Pokemon game. Yeah, I know I'm saying this and will still end up getting X/Y because there will be nothing else out, but I know the formula to these games have grown stale for me. Looking at the starters, there's already a fire type fox Pokemon, and a water type frog Pokemon in Vulpix and Toxicroak/Politoed respectively. Even though these starters do look nice, it shows that they are still struggling to find new material. It'd also be nice if some of the inconveniences found in past games like content limited to specific days/times of the week gets removed.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Fennekin seems to be based specifically on the Fennec fox while Vulpix/Ninetales are based on the Japanese legend of long-lived supernatural foxes (Kitsune). I'd like to see to see it evolve into a fiery coyote or wolf myself. Also, Croagunk and Toxicroak are Poison/Fighting types.

Going by US releases, the jump from RBY -> GSC was actually less (two years + a month). So it's not unprecedented, especially when some say BW2 had no business being on 2DS to begin with. (Note: I'm not in this category.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    Hmm, I kind of have mixed feelings on X/Y. On the one hand, like lots of you guys are saying, the few Pokemon we have seen do look pretty good when compared to their Gen 5 counterparts. Hopefully give off the same vibe. The 3D visuals look crisp and natural for the series too. The trailer makes things look fresh and fun, but will they be?

However, I do think its too soon for yet another Pokemon game. Yeah, I know I'm saying this and will still end up getting X/Y because there will be nothing else out, but I know the formula to these games have grown stale for me. Looking at the starters, there's already a fire type fox Pokemon, and a water type frog Pokemon in Vulpix and Toxicroak/Politoed respectively. Even though these starters do look nice, it shows that they are still struggling to find new material. It'd also be nice if some of the inconveniences found in past games like content limited to specific days/times of the week gets removed.
    Yet they continue to ignore most of Australia's wildlife, sadly enough. Kanghaskahn and arguably the crocodile pokemon misses out on a lot of the unique animals, and dreamtime stories behind them that Australia can provide.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/trac...iend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.

This will have to be a 2014 purchase for me, but I'm excited for it! Fennekin is downright adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    So many jokes to be made, so little time. It may encounter an error with Windows, it may become Frozen, etc.
    Its super effective against the butterfly though.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bain_nick View Post
    Yet they continue to ignore most of Australia's wildlife, sadly enough. Kanghaskahn and arguably the crocodile pokemon misses out on a lot of the unique animals, and dreamtime stories behind them that Australia can provide.
    Agreed, but maybe this will be the generation that we see some new animals. It's a bit unfair to judge the entire pokedex based on the first 3 that we've seen. There are gonna be 143 more, after all (not counting the evolutions of the first 3).

This will have to be a 2014 purchase for me, but I'm excited for it! Fennekin is downright adorable.
    First time I've actually liked one of the fire starters since Cyndaquil Really, really happy about that.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Fennekin seems to be based specifically on the Fennec fox while Vulpix/Ninetales are based on the Japanese legend of long-lived supernatural foxes (Kitsune). I'd like to see to see it evolve into a fiery coyote or wolf myself. Also, Croagunk and Toxicroak are Poison/Fighting types.
    You're right that there's some ground to defend the originality of these Pokemon on, Strawberry. But to me, that doesn't change the fact that they are another Fire Fox and Water Frog. If we're at the point that they we need to include multiple types of the same species, could we at least use a different initial typing? A Water Fox and Fire Frog would be welcome, for example. Don't get me wrong, these starters look quite appealing. Like Bain says, its just the principle of the matter that they could have differing wildlife interpretations (or even something totally unique) and typings as opposed to something that has already been done.

My mistake on Toxicroak, I thought it was Water/Poison. Looks like I need to brush up on the Pokedex!
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 01-09-2013 at 01:37 AM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Three years is a pretty reasonable development time, but I'm actually willing to bet that they've been working on X/Y for even longer. They probably started as soon as they got the 3DS dev kits, and B/W was developed in the meantime because they knew it would take a while to get the 3DS version out.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

aside from fennekin i really dont like the other starters, (though the dark eagle i assume "Y" and the rainbow deer "x" are pretty cool) 4th gen was awful, 5th gen was a little bit better but the last "cool" pokemon set came from hoenn