Thread: Pack Some Gory Luggage for Dead Island: Riptide

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Pack Some Gory Luggage for Dead Island: Riptide

There is no better way to express an island vacation gone horribly wrong than turning an iconic Hawaiian souvenir into a zombie and stuffing it into a suitcase. However, RPGamers should be warned that getting zombies through customs might be difficult.

[Link]

Cool. Hope it rocks.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 01-13-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I've got nothin'.

Yeah, the reaction I'm seeing is overwhelmingly negative. Even zombie lovers think this is in bad taste.

And...the decapitated torso was pulled. Publicity stunt a success!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Except they're out the investment in all those decapitated torsos they ordered. Glad to see that one get nixed.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I don't think they ordered any. Or if they ordered one - just a few prototypes for journalists. You guys get all the good stuff!

Whatever the expense, they'll likely make it up in spades...no, truckloads in sales.

Seriously though, fix a couple of easily remedied design flaws and the game would have been a lot better.

These collector's editions are foolish as a rule, but I don't understand why precisely the players of zombie games would suddenly think that they were too good for a disembodied zombie bust. It is eminently content-appropriate.

This entire confected furor is a farce.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

There is no doubt in my mind that there is an audience for this stuff, and the audience is a subset of the people who would buy a game like Dead Island.
    Last edited by Drav; 01-19-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Monster Lover
    There is something very very wrong with that bust.

I can put up my Garret bust, and people will comment on what a neat piece of art it is. I can put up my big Charr figure or Alduin and I might get some curious questions but for the most part anyone that sees it would think my tastes fantastic/eccentric and move along.

I can not imagine any setting in which I could let that kind of 'bust' be seen by family/friends/other random visitors. And that's the big difference to me.

"It's not guro, it's a zombie! You can tell because... uh..."

Quote Originally Posted by FudorahZubat View Post
    There is something very very wrong with that bust.

I can put up my Garret bust, and people will comment on what a neat piece of art it is. I can put up my big Charr figure or Alduin and I might get some curious questions but for the most part anyone that sees it would think my tastes fantastic/eccentric and move along.

I can not imagine any setting in which I could let that kind of 'bust' be seen by family/friends/other random visitors. And that's the big difference to me.

It is trashy - THAT IS THE POINT.

It is a piece of swag from a zombie game wherein you dismember zombies!

If this were packed in with Journey or Ni No Kuni then I would decry it as a travesty, but seeing as it is packed in with DEAD ISLAND I don't see what has everyone's tits in a tizzy...

Monster Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    It is trashy - THAT IS THE POINT.

It is a piece of swag from a zombie game wherein you dismember zombies!

If this were packed in with Journey or Ni No Kuni then I would decry it as a travesty, but seeing as it is packed in with DEAD ISLAND I don't see what has everyone's tits in a tizzy...
    Actually, from what I've read, it would seem that the 'perfectly globular and unblemished tits' are in fact part of the problem. Go figure?

For me it's a matter of 'why would I pay extra money for it if I can't put it up and display it?' In which case it becomes a dissuadant to shell out extra cash for the collectors edition, which makes it a failure in regards to the fact that a bonus should encourage people to spend more money.

I suppose people like me aren't the target demographic though. *shrug*

I believe a lot of the controversy stemmed from a lack of sensitivity towards violence against women or something like that; however, the criticism I saw in forums simply stated it was in poor state. I know I wouldn't want to display an object that could be seen as sadistic.

That said, when I first played Dead Island and battled endless waves of bikini clad zombies (and yes, beheaded many of them), I figured it was only a matter of time before they created some kind of bikini zombie statuette. It's the beach-wear zombies that stand out the most in my mind. So, when I first heard about this, I thought "heh".

I don't get the deal behind the British theme though.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The British theme was because the now-cancelled statue was a UK exclusive. And there are multiple levels on which a headless, chopped up bikini-clad statue as a piece of swag for anything is a terrible, terrible idea.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    And there are multiple levels on which a headless, chopped up bikini-clad statue as a piece of swag for anything is a terrible, terrible idea.
    Well evidently, since it has caused Deep Silver a spot of bother in this instance. It doesn't seem to be a terrible idea in itself though, as it seems a rather apt collectable to the Dead Island experience. This really strikes me as a situation of people looking to be offended, and then finding offence in something utterly banal and pedestrian.

At any rate, I was unaware that Deep Silver had cancelled plans to release the bust as of yet. An apology is not necessarily confirmation of a cancellation, though I might be missing something.

Even if we were to assume that this is an appropriate tie-in to Dead Island (as in not appropriate in and of itself, but generally representative of the content within Dead Island), what exactly would that justify? All that would mean to me is that Dead Island is equally repulsive.