Thread: Shadow Hearts: From the New World - Staff Retroview

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Shadow Hearts: From the New World - Staff Retroview

News headlines of the 1929 that wasn't: Eliot Ness and his Untouchables have finally corralled Capone and locked him away in Alcatraz, only to see him make his escape thanks to a feline film star using the drunken fist. The whole story is found in this game.
    Roger Bacon and his side interests....
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Unlike the other 2, I've only played this one through once. I must amend that in the near future.

(super minor) Also, no mention of the Lovecraft cameo? I was totally geeked out the first time I saw him.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

Personally I think the development team's dissolution is no excuse for this series becoming orphaned, but it's probably more a case of the creators losing interest in the franchise and wanting to try something different. Good review, regardless.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simba B View Post
    Personally I think the development team's dissolution is no excuse for this series becoming orphaned, but it's probably more a case of the creators losing interest in the franchise and wanting to try something different. Good review, regardless.
    Or they got sent to different studios, thereby forbidding them from working together again.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Yeah, but Sakaguchi leaving Square-Enix didn't kill the Final Fantasy franchise, although I suppose it would probably depend on who has the rights to do another sequel, be it Aruze or the scattered developers.

Marvelous AQL may hold the IP.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

From The New World is the only Shadow Hearts game that I didn't finish and thus wouldn't give it such a good score.

I guess my ratings would be more along:
    Shadow Hearts - 3.5
    Shadow Hearts 2 - 4.0
    Shadow Hearts New World - 2.5

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    To be honest I sort of agree with you, Rya. It took me until 2011 to finish FTNW, and even during my second playthrough it was still just a mediocre experience.

Jumes seems to have enjoyed the combat system, customization, humor, and wild characters that this game features. Those are certainly the game's strong points, but at the same time, if the sense of humor and sillyness don't gel with you, there's a lot to be desired out of the game. The main villains are especially weak. Lady and Killer don't even have real names nor hardly speak, yet seem to be an attempt at alluding to Yuri and Alice. The second half of the game is also quite bland if you ask me, as visiting the South American countries felt like one gigantic waste of an entire culture and continent. FTNW was at its best turning American History upside down, and thats what it should have stuck with.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 01-12-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

I found the humor in Shadow Hearts 2 better...

I'm going to side (mostly) with Rya on this one (wrote a post about it a while ago). I have a hard time explaining it though; in a lot of ways, FTNW improves (slightly, but still noticeably) on 2. The game *plays* better, but playing through it just felt tedious. I mean I really enjoyed the sidequests for many of the character near the end, but maybe it was the fact that this game had a weaker cast overall. I mainly liked Johnny because he played the straight man role pretty well (as in being that one character that points out how absurd everything is), I liked some of the cameos from the second.. but yeah. I can't even just say it's because "Yuri wasn't there" -- Johnny's actually a pretty good lead, and while SH2 had it's share of 'meh' characters, something about this cast doesn't click.

As for humor, well.

Nothing can top the Man Festival.

Ever.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuu View Post
    As for humor, well.

Nothing can top the Man Festival.

Ever.
    Quoted For Truth
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'm going to agree with the general feel here and say that FTNW was at best a mediocre experience. It just felt like they recycled way too much from SH2 but didn't try to make as solid a story or setting. The silly parts were silly without being funny and the serious parts were melodramatic and plain old boring. The cast was nowhere near as interesting as SH2. And I was a bit turned off by the blatant sexualization of Shania and how her Harmonixer powers involved her stripping naked for some reason when Yuri's didn't. I'm as red-blooded as any other guy but putting someone like that as a main character and asking us to take her seriously is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    I'm going to agree with the general feel here and say that FTNW was at best a mediocre experience. It just felt like they recycled way too much from SH2 but didn't try to make as solid a story or setting. The silly parts were silly without being funny and the serious parts were melodramatic and plain old boring. The cast was nowhere near as interesting as SH2. And I was a bit turned off by the blatant sexualization of Shania and how her Harmonixer powers involved her stripping naked for some reason when Yuri's didn't. I'm as red-blooded as any other guy but putting someone like that as a main character and asking us to take her seriously is a stretch.
    I feel similarly about the heroes and villains in the Kingdom Hearts games. Covenant, back on topic, was definitely the high point of the series for me, I'll concur.