Thread: 24 Screens - Dragon Quest VII Remake

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

24 Screens - Dragon Quest VII Remake

This update is a bit late, having gotten lost in the boozy haze of the New Year. Nonetheless, here is a nice variety of screenshots from the upcoming Dragon Quest VII release.

[24 Screens]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Must have this.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

This game is beautiful. This needs to be localized, I could use a good 200 hour RPG on my 3DS.

It's 80 hours, not 200.

My 3DS keeps whispering to the screen shots: "I want you inside me."

it's starting to creep me out.

Not really though because I want it too.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    It's 80 hours, not 200.
    The original took me 120.

But I could see somebody spending 200 if they were a completionist and wanted to max out their monster park and job levels.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    It's 80 hours, not 200.
    On the original PSX release, I easily spent around 200 hours on the game. Just cause you did an 80 hour speed run doesn't mean everyone does

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    On the original PSX release, I easily spent around 200 hours on the game. Just cause you did an 80 hour speed run doesn't mean everyone does
    I think that is the first time I ever heard someone called 80 hours a speed run for a game. You would be guessing he was playing an MMO or something...

That being said, I can definitely see the hellish grinding of this game expanding to the 100+ time frame. Beautiful game, but the grinding is too atrocious for me...

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    I think that is the first time I ever heard someone called 80 hours a speed run for a game. You would be guessing he was playing an MMO or something...

That being said, I can definitely see the hellish grinding of this game expanding to the 100+ time frame. Beautiful game, but the grinding is too atrocious for me...
    According to HowLongToBeat, 80 hours is really approaching the speed run territory. I know that the sample size isn't particularly big, however the fastest time for just the main story was 73 hours, average near 100.

Grinding is one thing, but the plot itself is incredibly long. Probably among the longest games I've played. I highly doubt I'd do the 'completionist' path again- I'm 12 years older and just don't have the time for that anymore what with real life. Who knows though, there is always the chance that they have streamlined it some and the 3DS version may take less time than the PSX version did.

I spent over 100 hours on the first disc, never finished the game. This getting localized would justify a 3DS purchase alone for me, as I'd easily spend as many hours on it as dollars spent.

This isn't a game I consider particularly remake worthy. But then, SE's original content has been lacking of late.

Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    I spent over 100 hours on the first disc, never finished the game. This getting localized would justify a 3DS purchase alone for me, as I'd easily spend as many hours on it as dollars spent.
    I'm in the same boat- if this (or Bravely Default) is released over here, I am a new 3DS owner.

Never played the original, in fact, its the only game in the DQ main series I have not played and beaten....
    Bean Forever

Grinding hasn't been a significant part of the Dragon Quest series in years, so I'm hoping Square Enix does the right thing and dials it back like they did for the DS remakes. Actually, my interest in the game basically hinges on them doing this.

Well even for DQ6 I job grinded to have all human PC's that aren't Terry with the Hero job and it only took me like 36 to 40 hours to do that in this one with MORE human job classes to master the PS1 version took me about 85 hours to beat the game.

+ another 20 or so to be at a high enough level to not only abuse Ultra Hit but to beat God with 4x Ultra hit users in under 19 turns while still having some MP left after doing so.

But a localization may not happen until 2014.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who never did any grinding in Dragon Quest VII... which might explain why it's my favorite in the series. Can't wait for this remake though, every screenshot brings a tear to my eye. I have faith it'll get localized
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

The original had some of the most technical and masterful 2D animations in any game, ever. I'm a bit disappointed that they'd move to 3D without putting the same emphasis on the monster animation as the original. Definitely a step backward.

What do you mean? Looking at the brief battle clips in the trailer, the monster animations look to have as much detail as the originals. Perhaps they don't look as impressive because it doesn't take as much to get the same thing out of a polygonal model (move the parts around and manipulate the body) than it does a composite sprite (put multiple sprites with their own animation frames together and rotate and stretch them independently). Are there newer videos with worse animation?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    This isn't a game I consider particularly remake worthy. But then, SE's original content has been lacking of late.
    Actually, given the general opinion the game seems to have, I'd consider it a very good candidate for a remake. It all depends on how it's done. If it's just a new coat of paint/graphics with a few minor tweaks and additions, like FF4DS, then it's going to be the same old slog, most likely. But if they take a page from the SaGa remakes, and take this as an opportunity to redesign the game from the ground up.... That would be a very worthy undertaking. Everything I've read and heard about this game suggests that it's perhaps the least balanced of the entire series in many ways.

I had no problems with the game balance myself. I never had to grind. Figuring out where to go next was sometimes troubling, especially if you missed multiple (what were they? map pieces?).