Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Debuts All the Bravest

Has anyone figured out if they can have duplicates when you pay your dollar for a chance to get a new character? I have to admit, I'd find it pretty amusing if Cloud had a 1/256 chance of dropping, like most "rare items" in their games. Double laugh if he's Zodiac Spear rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Typho View Post
    This is pretty much what I've heard. Of course, it's all presumption at this point. The only thing we have are anecdotal theories from individual developers who say that their iOS revenue greatly exceeds Android, despite Android's greater market share.

Some people have described it as, Apple users are "more likely to pay for their apps." As if somehow Android users are opposed to the idea. Kind of like Linux vs Windows users, maybe.

Of course, the market is still relatively new. It's already more equal than, say, Mac vs. PC gaming. So maybe we will see it equalize more as time goes on.
    Well you have to keep in mind that the Android market is also REALLY fragmented compared to the iOS market. Theres literally over 100 smartphones (not counting things like cameras, smart TVs and MP3 players) running on "Android" which of course means that the vast majority of users don't even run the latest version (over half of all Android smartphone users use a 1 year old software version because thats what their low-end smartphones are designed for). And THATS not even taking into account hardware fragmentation.

On the iOS side, its pretty straight-forward. All you have to do is aim for the iPhone #, the lowest iOS version released for that device and tell everyone below that "tough luck, upgrade."

Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    Well you have to keep in mind that the Android market is also REALLY fragmented compared to the iOS market. Theres literally over 100 smartphones (not counting things like cameras, smart TVs and MP3 players) running on "Android" which of course means that the vast majority of users don't even run the latest version (over half of all Android smartphone users use a 1 year old software version because thats what their low-end smartphones are designed for). And THATS not even taking into account hardware fragmentation.

On the iOS side, its pretty straight-forward. All you have to do is aim for the iPhone #, the lowest iOS version released for that device and tell everyone below that "tough luck, upgrade."
    I've heard that argument before, but I find it to be mostly a cop out. The PC software market has been dealing with this for decades. At some point it matters in how well it works, or drivers and other issues may crop up. But for the most part, handling the stratification of hardware/software setups is pretty well understood.

If the streamlined lock-in that Apple employs with the iPhone/iPad and iOS was really better, how come the similar approach they took with the Macs hasn't made it the predominate PC gaming platform over Windows/Intel?

Perhaps it really is that Apple users are more likely to pay. I don't know what the app store on the iOS looks like, but I know with Android there is such a plethora of free games and apps, that I'm really hard pressed to actually pay for one if I can find something else for free. In 2 years, I've only paid for 4 or 5 apps.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    Has anyone figured out if they can have duplicates when you pay your dollar for a chance to get a new character? I have to admit, I'd find it pretty amusing if Cloud had a 1/256 chance of dropping, like most "rare items" in their games. Double laugh if he's Zodiac Spear rare.
    And then maybe you'll be able to swap them with people, just like some sort of Trading card game?

E.g.
    Not another Umaro!
    I don't suppose anyone cares to swap their Cloud for an Umaro? or maybe 2 even?
    No-one? I'll even throw in my 3 Prince Edwards ... Anyone? please? :*(
    O.k. maybe not that bad. There are only meant to be 35 famous characters so they can only really have the fan favourites, right?
    (But then I can't see people wanting to pay to collect that many, even if it is a unique new one each time.)

Otherwise I'm just a little disappointed that "All the Bravest" isn't the improved western-name for the Bravely Default game(/franchise?).

Quote Originally Posted by Zerase View Post
    Looks like it could be fun, though, I don't think it looks any less RPG Makerish than Dimensions did and if I remember correctly, you were actually interested in that game Rya.
    Dimensions didn't look like an RPG Maker game imo. It had all original graphics and overall felt really well done. It's just like a new FF game in old FF quality.
    This game however is just a bunch of existing sprites from different games copied together... that's what people do when they create "My First RPG Maker Game".

I think calling it an RPG Maker game gives it too much credit. I don't think it's a full blown RPG at all, just a series of battles taking place in a mash-up of classic FF settings.
    Not all RPG Maker games are RPGs. =p

I'll just park this here.

Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

So it's nothing but tap battles, huh? Yet another non-RPG Final Fantasy...

Speaking for ourselves, our Android revenue is downright laughable compared to our iOS revenue. It's pathetic.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I've heard that argument before, but I find it to be mostly a cop out. The PC software market has been dealing with this for decades. At some point it matters in how well it works, or drivers and other issues may crop up. But for the most part, handling the stratification of hardware/software setups is pretty well understood.

If the streamlined lock-in that Apple employs with the iPhone/iPad and iOS was really better, how come the similar approach they took with the Macs hasn't made it the predominate PC gaming platform over Windows/Intel?

Perhaps it really is that Apple users are more likely to pay. I don't know what the app store on the iOS looks like, but I know with Android there is such a plethora of free games and apps, that I'm really hard pressed to actually pay for one if I can find something else for free. In 2 years, I've only paid for 4 or 5 apps.
    Except the PC software market has learned to deal with it by simply letting hardware outpace software. A 2 year old stock PC can handle pretty much anything on the market today short of high-end enterprise software/PC games. A 2 year old iPhone/Android phone? If you limit yourself to apps that haven't been updated in the past 2 years old, sure.

Who says Macs were ever designed to challenge PCs as a gaming platform? In case you haven't noticed, Macs have been beating PCs in the audio/visual arts software division for years now.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    I don't even know what the hell I just watched, but it sure looked stupid.

Just give us vs13 already...
    sup?

This game is terrible. IAP for mid-battle retries (potions, essentially) which end up basically necessary for end-game bosses, IAP for extra characters, IAP for extra levels. Swipe to win. It's really awful.

After listening to my boyfriend rant about how this isn't even a game, I highly recommend everyone stay faaaar far away from this "game." And if anyone is STILL thinking of buying it, you need to watch IGN's "mini review." Actually, watch it even if you aren't considering buying it because it's hilarious (especially around 1:50).
    Last edited by KittyFields; 01-17-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Well, at this point the market is bigger on IOS, so you can't really blame them.
    But what market? Who is SE trying to appeal to, exactly? The iOS market consists of casual-casuals who may whip out their smartphone every now and then to play a game of Angry Birds or Cut the Rope or Temple Run because they have a couple minutes to spare. I can guarantee these people care little about "Final Fantasy." Pulling all these resources into the mobile gaming market is just upsetting fans who are slowly turning away from the company they once loved, fans that are ready and willing to buy games like Dimensions on PSN or XBLA or eShop or WiiWare. I guarantee SE would be getting more sales by releasing their games on consoles dedicated to gaming and gamers. Where's the console based traditional turnbased Final Fantasy fans been clamoring for since Final Fantasy X? And when they do release a title worthy of playing, it's an overpriced DLC ridden cash grab or port that plays better on the device it's ported from. Chaos Rings was great, sure, but it's a rare breed.

But this? This has made me lose all respect for SE. They've finally reached Capcom levels. To hype this so much to Final Fantasy fans just to reveal it as an overly casual cash grab is a slap in the face of everybody who's been playing FF since their childhood. Before anyone thought they could stoop so low, they now have $35 worth of randomized DLC, all of which is little more than a sprite from old FFs that does exactly what all the other characters do. Could they make it worse? Of course! Why not force the player to spend another dollar when they die in battle, or wait 3 hours to actually play the game you bought (oh, did I forget to mention the game is $4 out of the gate?) People complained about Theatrhythm (for justifiable reasons), but it pales in comparison. Sure the songs cost more than on the 3DS combined, but you could pick and choose what you want (much like a CD as opposed to individual tracks), and you weren't forced to purchase "Music Notes" with real money just to play more than one song in succession.

As for the game itself.. watch gameplay footage and rub your monitor. There, you played All The Bravest. That's pretty much all the game is. Classes are pointless.. Warrior, Dragoon, White Mage, whoever, they all attack and attack and attack. That's it. No strategy beyond clicking the paid for hourglasses when your party dies.
    Last edited by Dyne; 01-18-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyFields View Post
    After listening to my boyfriend rant about how this isn't even a game, I highly recommend everyone stay faaaar far away from this "game." And if anyone is STILL thinking of buying it, you need to watch IGN's "mini review." Actually, watch it even if you aren't considering buying it because it's hilarious (especially around 1:50).
    I was going to post IGN's video too so instead I'll just quote you for emphasis. This looks like the stupidest thing ever and having to wait 90 minutes to play again BECAUSE WE WANT YOUR MONEY! is so f*cking retarded.

iOS is easier to develop for. The Apple devices are different, but not by much.
    You test to see how much processing power your app needs, and that's it. 2x mode and black bar mode means your app will work on iPad and iPhone 5. More complicated methods are there for developers willing to put in the effort to adapt to the other screen sizes.

Then Android - every phone a different screen size and a different processor. You need versions for Samsung Galaxy users, versions for Nokia Lumia users, versions for LG Optimus users, versions for Google Nexus users, versions for HTC Droid users. Generally one application will work across a maker's line (just like Apple). But you need more apps total. If you can catch 35% of users with one app (the Apple users), you develop the one app before you develop others.

This is also why few apps have iPhone 5 support - not many users have iPhone 5's and only those users can benefit from this feature.
    Last edited by flamethrower; 01-18-2013 at 05:21 AM.

I think part of the problem for Android is also how crappy the app store is to find games in because of how they are categorized. Unless it is a sports game, a racing game, a card game, or a "casual" game it is thrown into the "Arcade and Action" section. This includes everything from call of duty and mass effect to final fantasy games to simulation/strategy games. I really hate the android app store.

Edit: Just saw the staff list. Apparently Hiroyuki Ito co-directed. Lol.
    There's no way Ito had a serious hand in making this crap. Co-Director indeed. I bet his only role was to supervise the implementation of ATB since he created it.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I will just note that my posting of this news bulletin in no way implies support for this game or its sales mechanisms. I post a lot of news about games I'm not interested in or actively dislike (hi 3rd Birthday). On the personal side of things, I neither own an Apple device nor do I buy IAP-heavy games on any gaming device I own. We do have a staff member or two who admit to enjoying this game, but I'll let them speak for themselves if they wish to do so.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I don't believe SE cares about reputation or respect anymore. I mean, on a purely business sense, why wouldn't have they made this "game"? It probably took a whole of one week to make what with all graphics and music being recycled, and just the title itself is enough for some people to buy it.

This falls to the same category of those "game picture gallery" apps - you basically pay money to look at pictures that you can view for free online. Absurd, I know, but some people buy them. And as they say, he's not dumb who sells but he who buys.

You say, "if you can't beat 'em, join em," and I agree with that. I think I might be able to learn the skills needed to design and build a cash-in game, but there's no way I could ever learn the skills needed to market it.