Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Wii U Announcements Directly from Nintendo

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Multiple Wii U Announcements Directly from Nintendo

Today's Nintendo Direct presentation did a lot to muster RPGamer interest in the Wii U. Check inside for news regarding Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, The Legend of Zelda, and Monolith Soft.

[ Story ]
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 01-23-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

o_o

SMT x Fire Emblem? If this hadn't come directly from Nintendo's mouth I would've thought it was an early April fool's joke. This is interesting.

All this looks amazing. I can't seem to lift my jaw off the ground

I'm playing the Wii FE right now.
    Those 2 games seem like an odd pairing.

I'm really curious what kind of game SMT x FE will be. I'd almost have to assume a tactical game, unless it is randomly a fighting game or something.

That Monolith soft tittle got my attention. Will be keeping my eyes on further news about that one.
    I just like that studio, hope they will not dissapoint me this time either.

From the trailer, it shows protagonists in pairs from the series:

SMT1: Hero & Heroine
    SMT2: Hero &... his mom
    SMT If... : The generic male and female student protagonist options
    SMT Nocturne: Demi-fiend and ... Chiaki?! I would've thought Yuko since Chiaki can be an antagonist, but whatever.
    SMT4? I recognize them from the preview materials here on RPGamer, but they're basically unknowns.

So, that's interesting I guess.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    There are no words to describe how much I am now looking forward to that new Monolithsoft game.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Some very intriguing games there, but the Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem game was completely unexpected. I can't wait to hear more about that and the Monolith Soft title.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

MECHS! I SEE MECHS!

And it's by Monolith soft. Joygasm.

The FE X SMT sounds interesting in premise but I'd have to see what they do with it.

Meh on Zelda remake.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

New Member Member
    As long as the new game from Monolithsoft is not multiplayer, I'm good. You can see a chat window at the start of the trailer. Also I got a real monster hunter vibe from the trailer, heres hoping I'm wrong.

The Monolith soft title looks like a direct sequel to Xenoblade, but we'll have to wait and see to be certain. Tetsuya Takahashi involvement is a good thing. I'm stoked for this game. Hopefully Nintendo will streamline the process so we don't have to wait two plus years to play it.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472

So, my interest in Nintendo's new console has been given a boost. Especially if SMT X FE is a SRPG like it should be. Waiting and seeing will stay the standard, but at least now I'm paying attention. I'm also hoping the new Zelda and Mario does something different because I'm definitely tired of those games.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBow View Post
    As long as the new game from Monolithsoft is not multiplayer, I'm good. You can see a chat window at the start of the trailer. Also I got a real monster hunter vibe from the trailer, heres hoping I'm wrong.
    Well, with that chat window there is a pretty good chance it is a multiplayer game. I don't see that as a problem, though, since there have been several RPGs made already that fuse multiplayer and single-player elements quite well. White Knight Chronicles is the good example there, and the one that I imagine will be most similar to a multiplayer Xenoblade-type game (especially considering they play somewhat similarly). WKC demonstrates that fusing a single-player story with Monster Hunter-like multiplayer missions can work pretty well. WKC had more than its share of problems, but none of them were directly caused by adding multiplayer. Honestly, I'm just looking at this "X" as a potential fusion between Xenoblade and WKC's good ideas, which would have an amazing result.

"X" even uses a WKC-style system of targeting individual parts of a monster with a lock-on cursor, rather than a Monster Hunter-style system based on positioning individual swings and manual aiming. That kind of thing makes me think of WKC a lot more than Monster Hunter, though I won't deny that WKC was heavily influenced by Monster Hunter.

New Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Well, with that chat window there is a pretty good chance it is a multiplayer game. I don't see that as a problem, though, since there have been several RPGs made already that fuse multiplayer and single-player elements quite well. White Knight Chronicles is the good example there, and the one that I imagine will be most similar to a multiplayer Xenoblade-type game (especially considering they play somewhat similarly). WKC demonstrates that fusing a single-player story with Monster Hunter-like multiplayer missions can work pretty well. WKC had more than its share of problems, but none of them were directly caused by adding multiplayer. Honestly, I'm just looking at this "X" as a potential fusion between Xenoblade and WKC's good ideas, which would have an amazing result.

"X" even uses a WKC-style system of targeting individual parts of a monster with a lock-on cursor, rather than a Monster Hunter-style system based on positioning individual swings and manual aiming. That kind of thing makes me think of WKC a lot more than Monster Hunter, though I won't deny that WKC was heavily influenced by Monster Hunter.
    I thought WKC's online mode was poorly implemented and really didn't make the game better overall. I am concerned just like with other games which tack on multiplayer, of development resources being siphoned from the single player to multiplayer portion. Not saying I don't believe Monolithsoft can pull it off or don't have the right to make an attempt, but in this industry we've seen too many cases of games including a multiplayer mode because that's what sells these days, ending up being a throwaway feature to put on the back of the box.

It really depends on how the implement it though, if the multiplayer is standalone then it should not really have a direct effect on the single player, other than maybe transferring items back and forth or some such feature. If the multiplayer is integrated in the main story, I could see the main story being very shallow, with limited character development due to the create-a-character syndrome, where you have no dialogue and don't play a role in the story such as in WKC. Also the story could end up mission based in which most of your time is spent killing x number of y, or collecting z.

I put 150 hours into Xenoblade and enjoyed every minute of it and am hoping for the same with this new game.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post

WKC strong point was the online multi-player, without it the game is just a common generic JRPG with a lackluster story. Even so with WKC potential to make money to the publishers with dlc tickets from the store, georama parts and ark plans they could make up for the lack of sales. Sadly D3Publisher and Sony didn't planned to support this game fully but used the earnings to fund other projects instead. The Irony is that WKC was D3Publisher best sold game. WKC game sales surpass Earth Defense Force 2017. Right now the community is dying and it's infected with modders and cheaters, the only way to report someone down is to save a video with a capture card and send it directly to Sony. More than half of it's community are preparing to move to FFXIV and those who cannot go there may move to Tera Online once it gets F2P. The game's true ending is locked on our discs...

I don't see any similarity between WKC and Moster Hunter, the item creation was very different and Monster Hunter was more free roaming in the online... However the concept of transforming into a giant Armor and use it on the field was innovative. too bad this game lacked on the Story and soundtrack department. As for this game working in a online multiplayer depends entirely on Nintendo's commitment to support the online. Regardless I know this game will be awesome with or without multiplayer. Hell this spiritual sequel even have Gundam like mecha to use.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsonFury View Post
    The Monolith soft title looks like a direct sequel to Xenoblade, but we'll have to wait and see to be certain. Tetsuya Takahashi involvement is a good thing. I'm stoked for this game. Hopefully Nintendo will streamline the process so we don't have to wait two plus years to play it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a sequel to Xenoblade, or even a remake (sort of) the two games do look at lot alike the monster look quite similar even the characters.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    My fan tears of joy...they won't stop falling.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

there was a part of the trailer that makes me thing that multiplayer is an option watch at :26 and you can see the party pull up and stop exactly how they did in Xenoblade.

this gif shows what im talking about