Thread: RPGCast - Episode 252: "They Announced What?"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 252: "They Announced What?"

RPGCast - Episode 252: "They Announced What?"

This was a week of impossible announcements. Shin Megami Tensei crosses over with Fire Emblem. Project X Zone is coming to North America. Earthbound hits the virtual console. But most surprisingly, Persona 4 Golden has a release date in Europe!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/252

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "They Announced What?"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Aside from the Devil Survivor games (which are indeed excellent), the Megami Tensei franchise first dabbled in the SRPG sub-genere with Majin Tensei I and II for the Super Famicom and the sorta/kinda third game Ronde for the Sega Saturn. These games were much closer to Fire Emblem gameplay-wise (the first Majin Tensei especially) than Devil Survivor. It may not be that big of a stretch to cross these games over, though I have to wonder how that'll work story-wise.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Yeah, when I first heard "SMT X FE", I thought it might be something more like Pokemon Conquest, where you took the trappings of one series (MegaTen) and applied it to the combat of another (FE). Then I watched the trailer and saw that the two companies will actually be using characters from both series. O_O I'm not even sure how they could get all the MegaTen protagonists in one place, considering the multiple timelines and alternate realities involved. SMT X SRT would seem a more likely choice.

Instant death + permadeath is all I can think of when it comes to SMTxFE. Well, that and the storm that will ensue if they turn it into a fighting game.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Aside from the Devil Survivor games (which are indeed excellent), the Megami Tensei franchise first dabbled in the SRPG sub-genere with Majin Tensei I and II for the Super Famicom and the sorta/kinda third game Ronde for the Sega Saturn. These games were much closer to Fire Emblem gameplay-wise (the first Majin Tensei especially) than Devil Survivor. It may not be that big of a stretch to cross these games over, though I have to wonder how that'll work story-wise.
    The most interesting part of the video reveal for me was the characters. Megaten's had a wide enough range of titles that I think you can find a lot of different gameplay examples. They showed the main characters from SMT1, SMT2, SMT-If..., SMT:Nocturne, and SMT4 - only Nocturne had a U.S. release (and they're posing Chiaki as the female lead protagonist it seems).

If the draw of the crossover is supposed to be just the characters from those games, it'll be awkward appeal-wise for U.S. gamers. Not to mention, even if you'd played SMT1/SMT2 on the Superfamicom, graphics in those days weren't going to give you pics that really captured Kaz Kaneko's artwork.