Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPGamer's Best of 2012 Awards

RPGamer's Best of 2012 Awards

As 2013 gets into full swing, RPGamer looks back at the highlights of last year. It took quite a bit of deliberation and debate, but we now present to you the best RPGs of 2012.

Best of 2012 Awards
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I agree almost 100% with this list.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

My two thoughts:

1. Surprised to see Kingdoms of Amalur get some love. I personally enjoyed the game quite a bit for the combat, and I was glad to see I wasn't the only one. Most of the people who I talk to about KoA seeom pretty negative.

2. Apparently I need to play Borderlands 2. I wasn't aware the game had any story worth mentioning. Plus I love fps rpg's.

And yeah, I pretty much am in total agreement about these titles. Now it's time to pull Xenoblade back off the shelf.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    My two thoughts:

1. Surprised to see Kingdoms of Amalur get some love. I personally enjoyed the game quite a bit for the combat, and I was glad to see I wasn't the only one. Most of the people who I talk to about KoA seeom pretty negative.

2. Apparently I need to play Borderlands 2. I wasn't aware the game had any story worth mentioning. Plus I love fps rpg's.

And yeah, I pretty much am in total agreement about these titles. Now it's time to pull Xenoblade back off the shelf.
    Indeed. I loved Amalur's combat as well as you can see from my blurb. It had rough spots, but the battle system was not one of them.

And I'm with you on Borderlands 2, as it looks like I need to dive into that one for real.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I've been needing to do that myself, but I need to save money for Spring Break so I can go to Atlanta since my boyfriend decided to be in town the entire week of March 11. I WILL make him go in the deep end of the pool. He needs to learn to be more confident in his swimming ability.
    User Database Check

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Yay for Xenoblade love! On a personal note I'm pretty pleased with how the voting turned out Can't say I have any great arguments anywhere.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Usually when I see Year End stuff, I kinda just go with it, as many times the choices listed aren't my own, or even close.

With that said, I personally agree with around 90% of the list. I also felt like it captured the essence of 2012. Nice job.

Though the most looked forward to list is a bit surprising.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Ys and Devil Survivor 2 needed more love!

I'm surprised dark souls on the PC didn't even appear anywhere on the list
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktomaster View Post
    I believe most of our staff Dark Souls fans played it on console. Since even those of us who enjoy PC gaming also own consoles, most games that come out on console way before they do on PC just get covered during the year of their console release for GOTY awards.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I have nothing against this list. But sure seems like a weird year in RPG. Do not know how to put it. But this year is somehow missing the kind of bright suprise hit? Or is it just me

It was kind of a quiet year for RPGs, yeah, especially once the summer hit. For the first time in a long time, my top two games of the year were both non-RPGs (Dishonored and Kid Icarus: Uprising).

Edit: I'll note that's because I played Xenoblade in 2011, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I believe most of our staff Dark Souls fans played it on console. Since even those of us who enjoy PC gaming also own consoles, most games that come out on console way before they do on PC just get covered during the year of their console release for GOTY awards.
    Not only that, but Dark Souls PC wasn't a spectacular port (I mean fans had to make a patch to make it run at 60fps for example).

A few surprises for me on the list:
    -Surprised to see KH3D on the biggest letdowns. I enjoyed that game as much as birth by sleep!
    -Sticker Star is awesome I hate you all
    -I'm terrified of the prospect of something worse than Mugen Souls O_O

I love Sticker Star. I may also have voted it for Biggest Letdown, though. Sometimes a game can be something you really like, but it still isn't what you actually thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by hoktomaster View Post
    I played Dark Souls on PC, but yeah, it's not a great port.

(Plus, I didn't vote)

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esuko View Post
    I have nothing against this list. But sure seems like a weird year in RPG. Do not know how to put it. But this year is somehow missing the kind of bright suprise hit? Or is it just me
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. After FFXIII-2 didn't snag me, and ME3 was so criticized, I felt like it was a nice year for catching up on things, not so much pushing.

I am sad there was no TERA love, but I also didn't vote this year for personal reasons.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Pokemon Conquest and Borderlands 2 make many appearances, which is great because I love both of those games. Xenoblade was a no brainer though considering how much people enjoyed it and the reviews on the game. I want to beat it, but I can't marathon it and it is one of those epic 100 hour games. I'll eventually get around to it.

The most anticipated games seems to reflect my own desire too. Though I don't think I could choose a top 3, because Project X Zone and SMT Soul Hackers both are coming out too. Either way, it's a good year for my 3DS.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    no MMO love makes me a sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    no MMO love makes me a sad panda.
    There's some Guild Wars 2 love in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There's some Guild Wars 2 love in there!
    This. And I do agree with the talk in the article about the world. It's just utterly beautiful, but there ARE some areas that can absolutely terrify you with how some things look. For example, Malchor's Leap, an endgame area filled to the brim with the undead has an absolutely terrifying spot at its northern border. You swim anywhere else in there, and the water looks clear, yet somewhat murky due to the death. However, the northernmost water is pitch black, and can really turn your stomach since nowhere else in the game does the water get that bad. The following are the two pictures showing that off...and ignore the chat log. X3

Normal water
    Northern border water
    User Database Check