Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem: Awakening - Staff Review

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Staff Review

The sixth Fire Emblem in English, and the thirteenth overall, is almost available for the perusal of the masses. Is it dead on arrival, or will it knock you dead? One way to find out is reading this review.
    Make a killing.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Only another reminder that I need a 3DS and this game.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I couldn't finish Shadow Dragon, but I'll definitely give this a look when I eventually get a 3DS since you can turn off permadeath.

Thanks for the detailed review.
    I recently finished the Wii FE.
    I am in need of a 3DS.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    My 3DS is all warmed up and ready to go

I'm playing this right now. Yay for EB Games and breaking the street date!

I actually don't mind the out-ofbattle voice clips. I would much prefer full voice acting, but it's kinda nice to hear at least a little bit of the character's voice when they're talking.

I also want to add that support conversations are hilarious! Frederick and his morale-boosting naked Chrom posters... XD
    Last edited by KittyFields; 01-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I've avoided starting a new handheld game (mostly by reading A Memory of Light and going back to Pokemon for a while). I didn't think I could be more excited for Awakening but...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Now Nintendo of Europe, announce the 3DS XL Black Model (which is japan exclusive atm) and take my money!

Welp buying now, the only reason i dont get FE games is the whole permanent death mechanic and since it has a mode where that doesnt happen im so there

For those playing/planning on playing, am I the only one here that will keep perma-death on?

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    For those playing/planning on playing, am I the only one here that will keep perma-death on?
    I'm planning to get it. It'll be my first FE game. Much like AncientRune, the permadeath has been one of the biggest deterrents for me. I'm honestly not sure how it would work with the story, it seems like characters are important based on the demo, and it'd be weird for them to die. So I will definitely be turning it off. Something about permadeath just bothers me, although I tend to be a completionist and like to overpower and max out all my characters in most games I play.

I'll be picking it up, and won't have permadeath on either... Same rationale as the others already mentioned.

One thing that bugs me... What's up with characters' feet missing? In every video I've seen, they clip down below the ground plane so it looks like everyone's running around on pointy toothpick legs. It's very strange.
    Last edited by Morgan19; 01-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    At least one person will be joining you with perma-death on, Clix. To be honest its only truly bothered me once in a late game fight against a mage boss with one of those long range tomes in Path of Radiance. Thats not to say I haven't reset the a stage or two, but that one level was beyond aggravating to get through without losing one character in the process. Personally the challenge in Fire Emblem comes from not letting any of your characters die, so I can't see how FE would be all that fun or strategical if I could just lose half my party and still win without any drawbacks.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

I'm so ready for this game! I got the art book too, but it's nothing really impressive.

I've played FE games since they started coming to the states, and I'll be damned if I am going to start turning perma-deaths off anytime soon. That feels like a staple of the series, and as annoying as it is, it makes for battles to be that more calculating which I enjoy. I imagine my gf will be playing with perma-deaths off though, if she even plays the game. She seemed to like the demo, but regardless, she will have to wait her turn!

Only a week away!

just an fyi if you havent preorded it yet you may not be able to get the retail version, I hear even gamestop isnt taking preorders anymore.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    just an fyi if you havent preorded it yet you may not be able to get the retail version, I hear even gamestop isnt taking preorders anymore.
    This is true, I tried pre-order at Gamestop last week and they wouldn't take it. Sucks, but I'm betting at least one store around here will have a copy in stock.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

That's what Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy etc are for.

Monopolies are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    At least one person will be joining you with perma-death on, Clix. To be honest its only truly bothered me once in a late game fight against a mage boss with one of those long range tomes in Path of Radiance. Thats not to say I haven't reset the a stage or two, but that one level was beyond aggravating to get through without losing one character in the process. Personally the challenge in Fire Emblem comes from not letting any of your characters die, so I can't see how FE would be all that fun or strategical if I could just lose half my party and still win without any drawbacks.
    Glad to see I'm not alone in my insanity.

Honestly, I've only let two people die permanently in my FE-career (which spans from all GBA games and on; currently working on FE3's remake for the DS):
    1. Haar on the final boss stage of FE10. ...I was NOT repeating that.
    2. Ogier on his introduction chapter (Ch 8) in FE6, first play through. I had repeated the chapter about a dozen times, and he died in the final stretch. I decided to just finish the map without him; he may be a very potential Merc/Hero, but it's not Dieck can't cover the slack.

EDIT!!:
    3. A ton of people I don't even remember in FE1DS, since I wanted to get all of the bonus chapters. Boy was that a sadistic feature...
    Last edited by Clix; 01-31-2013 at 04:05 PM.

I think I am going to try a no reset attempt either after I beat the game or at some point for fun. I wonder how small my squad will get at the end. lol

I think I may try a first run with perma-death turned off and a second run with it on. I don't plan on letting anyone die if I can help it, but I also like the idea of not resetting a battle 5+ times because of my own carelessness.