Thread: Realms of Arkania to Be Remade

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Realms of Arkania to Be Remade

Realms of Arkania dates back to the days of arcane keyboard combinations, autoexec.bat editing, and the need to stop for food and drink in-between battling monsters. Now this early '90s classic is being remade for the modern era.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

This year is so much better than last year.

Not easy to be worse than last year.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Hopefully this momentum keeps going... looking forward to this.

the need to stop for food and drink in-between battling monsters
    Unclear if this is a game mechanic or a metagame mechanic.

640kB oughtta be enough for anybody! There's lots of old PC games that ran using only that much memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    autoexec.bat editing
    *Sounds of repeated facedesking*

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Unclear if this is a game mechanic or a metagame mechanic.

640kB oughtta be enough for anybody! There's lots of old PC games that ran using only that much memory.
    Heh, depending on load times, it could be both!

You didn't actually have to manually feed your characters, but you did have to keep a supply of food/water. The system they used for world-map travel was quite elaborate, and you not only had to eat/rest every so often, but also had to replace your character's footwear as they wore out due to overuse, and keep a stock of herbal remedies/healing spells in case anyone came down with a disease. The series is basically The Oregon Trail meets the Gold Box DnD games.
    Last edited by Drav; 02-01-2013 at 04:01 PM.

I remember playing this... (well, Star Trail specifically). The map had this huge feeling to it. I was barely a teenager when I played it though, and going from Wizardry (not much micro-management) to a game where I had to keep people fed and worry about diseases was bizarre. Also, I felt like I was prostituting my heroes sort of by having my elf dance, etc. for money in towns because I was so broke all the time. I suppose a good analogy is the Wizardry party was the varsity squad of heroes, while the Star Trail group was like a fringe high school club forced to do car wash fundraisers no one came to.

Edit: Perhaps a big reason the Arkania crew felt like the "b-team" was the fact the game forced you to have negative stats as well. So, you'd have things like courage... but also things like superstition and necrophobia.
    Last edited by Jitawa; 02-04-2013 at 02:14 AM.

I really like those ancient games like Wizardry and stuff, but one thing that is really annoying is that you need to do so much menu browsing for so little content. In Wizardry I need to prepare for each run for like 15 minutes, then I enter the dungeon and can only play like 3 minutes in it, until I'm halfway down my spellpoints and have to go all the way back.

If I now imagine food and shoe management on top of that, oh noes...

Plus I don't see any reason to play the remake over the original... grid based movement is always better.

Star Trail, which also used a 3D engine, gave you the option of free-roam and grid-based movement, so they might do the same thing here.

Well looking at the screenshot, it doesn't really look very suited for grid based movement. But that would actually be pretty neat.

This game does in fact have grid-based movement. It just has prettier graphics lining the grid.

Oh cool, I might get it then.