Thread: The Benefits of Video Games - Editorial

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

The Benefits of Video Games - Editorial

Many negative things have been said about the effects of video games on society lately. Why don't we take a step back and look at all the subtle benefits they offer?

EDITORIAL!
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Great editorial, I remember a couple years back coming across the bit about the visual acuity test improvement while working on a research proposal. There's a lot of peer reviewed science out there that shows these benefits, and besides one guy who's made it his career to try and prove that the whole video game violence bit is linked(with pretty bad data attempting to back up his claims), it's pretty impressive how many different ways they can be helpful in the right situations.

I credit my import collection for maintaining my Japanese skills since leaving the country in 2006. I also wrote my final year undergrad dissertation on team building in World of Warcraft, with some highly encouraging results.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I love your stats! I just need to add exercise back into my life and I should be all set

All the side effects of videogames have not been proven. Sometimes you hear, "makes people more violent," especially for violent games.

All side effects mentioned in the article have not been proven either. Most of the papers are reports on data taken (establishing correlation, not causation). They do not investigate, say, the effect of playing Trauma Center for 15 minutes an hour before surgery on outcomes and compare those with controls whose surgeons did not play videogames before surgery. Such a study might not be ethical, as prior to the study the effect of the games is unknown and therefore by definition could harm patients.

The exception is the mentioned study on contrast sensitivity, where participants played games in an attempt to improve their test score. The 20% improvement I would say is small, but statistically significant.

Lastly, regarding the radical teaching experiment mentioned. I feel like:
    1) There is lots of selective reporting regarding these. Meaning the massive failures are not reported.
    2) Even when successful, other teachers are unable to reproduce the results. Meaning something about the teacher or the students or both enabled the successful instruction (and not the teaching method used).
    Even so, radical teaching experiments are worth it. These teachers are like scientists in that they go through the scientific process, thinking about what is likely to be successful (hypothesis), designing a curriculum (experimental design), teaching class (conducting experiments), and finally evaluating the results. If teachers never experimented, teaching methods would not evolve.

Subtle benefits my butt. Running a guild in WoW taught me a lot of excellent skills that have proven to be extremely useful over the last few years. There was actually an article recently from some company saying they love employees that spent time in WoW guilds. Learning how to coordinate with a bunch of other people to achieve a goal, whether you like those people or not, while simeltaneously learning how to excel and prepare for your role in your downtime is a valuble workplace skill. I can also attribute nearly all of my best skills to my years of playing video games.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I credit my MMO playing with my ability to keep track of numerous things at once.

Back when I played Neosteam: The Shattered Continent, I played a Strider, which was an archer that concentrated on debuffs thrown on enemies. However, we also had a VERY powerful single-player heal, a good debuff heal, and a skill that could prevent enemies from healing themselves. Try fighting a boss where not only do you have to keep the DPS up on them, at the same time you have to keep the debuffs going, throw that healing lock when you see them about to heal, and heal the people in close range of their debuffs and keep their HP up when the normal healers couldn't. It gets pretty hectic fast, and I'm able to watch multiple things on screen thanks to it.

Also thanks to it, when I had to help 6 people at once while working the bookstore, I was able to keep track of who needed what, and was able to get out of it without a single mistake.
    Last edited by DarkRPGMaster; 01-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    All side effects mentioned in the article have not been proven either. Most of the papers are reports on data taken (establishing correlation, not causation).
    To be fair, the content was never attempting to establish causal relationship All that was explained was that there was a relationship, regardless of its strength.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

The idea that people who play violent video games end up with more aggressive behavior and antisocial tendencies is not quite made up. There have been numerous studies on it and the consensus seems to be that there is a definite relationship between the two. That doesn't mean that violent video games make people shoot other people, but there is a significant link between them and acting aggressively.

That seems false. One oft-cited chart (see below). I'm having trouble finding the fallacy in the chart. It seems that being American is a much better predictor of violence than videogame figures.
    This chart considers all videogames, not violent ones only. So you need to make the assumption that there is a proportional relationship between all videogames and violent ones. I believe this is true - it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. I don't believe the trendline. If you throw out the outlier (United States), then the line is nearly flat. A flat line means no correlation.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The only actual correlation they've found is between playing a very violent game and having extremely short-term aggressive behaviour immediately afterwards. More a concern, I'd think, for domestic violence (from somebody who already has that tendency anyway) than for mass shootings.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    The only actual correlation they've found is between playing a very violent game and having extremely short-term aggressive behaviour immediately afterwards. More a concern, I'd think, for domestic violence (from somebody who already has that tendency anyway) than for mass shootings.
    Agreed, Oce. That said, you'd get the same short term aggression from watching an excessively violent feature film or television show.

Getting your butt handed to you in a game will make anyone angry. So will screwing up a recipe or messing up at work. Short-term irritation can come from anything. Linking that specifically to video games is pure lunacy.

The idea that people who play violent video games end up with more aggressive behavior and antisocial tendencies is not quite made up. There have been numerous studies on it and the consensus seems to be that there is a definite relationship between the two.
    There are always people like that. If it weren't for video games, they'd be doing something else. Video games are just this era's "thing". Decades ago, it was music. Before that, movies. You can blame anything if you try hard enough, yet no one ever blames the actual people responsible for failing to control their anger.

Seeing as since the advent of video games as sales of video games has gone up, violent crimes have gone down, I'd wager that video games reduce violence over the long run. That's the strongest evidence I've seen so far as far as a link to video games and violence goes, and it's an inverse relationship. Here's a good link with a bunch of nice graphs: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...inues-to-fall/ And heck, here's another: http://videogames.procon.org/view.re...uth%20Violence

Loved this article. Is it me or has the quality of the discourse on rpgamer been sky high lately? I love you guys. I'm linking this post to some friends with whom I have this debate all the time. I personally feel that the violent crime in America really has very little to do with video games. Do violent minded people like to play violent games? Um...probably. But I have never had the urge to actually hurt someone after a round of COD, (except after playing MW3 because that game is just terrible...but I digress.)

On the other elements of the article, I personally have found that my overall levels of happiness really settle at a high point when I combine a variety of different things into my schedule. I play basketball on a weekly basis, for example, but I also enjoy the social elements of an MMO, and the story telling of a jrpg, as well as my work and occasionally my attempts to play my guitar (epic fail). I think that balance is the key.

Recently I was in a long discussion with someone who was trying to convince me that video games are really bad for kids, and that they are destroying their minds or whatever. I personally think that it's a case of people fearing what they don't understand. The older gen just wants kids to go play in the woods with a stick like they did lol
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    They do not investigate, say, the effect of playing Trauma Center for 15 minutes an hour before surgery on outcomes and compare those with controls whose surgeons did not play videogames before surgery.
    A bit of a necro but...someone did this experiment! Link.