Thread: Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk Localization Interview

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk Localization Interview

Even though the game is being published by Tecmo Koei, Atelier Ayesha was localized by NIS America. We were able to chat with the team at NISA about the game and the shift away from publishing the Atelier series.

Interview
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I hope they get to keep localizing the series, but I fear a changeover to some cut-rate crappy company.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Someone please confirm the rumor I heard about the time limits being removed. I was dumbfounded when the second game ending limit hit me when I was playing Totori for the first time. Didn't realize this was common in the series. Such a deep alchemy system that you really don't have enough time to fully explore.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Um no, time limits are still in effect here, but it is completely possible to fulfill Ayesha's primary objective with almost a full year left on the calendar, leaving you free to explore post-story events.

The only game in the series to abandon time limits was Atelier Judie, as far as I can recall.

I'm still worried that Tecmo-Koei have a bad effect on Gust games. I don't like how Tecmo-Koi will handle games like Fist of the North Star 2 by making it digital only and not do English dubs.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

The Atelier Iris series also abandoned them for the first two games, with the third one having a time limit on dungeon exploration, but not on the full game itself. They were my first foray into the series, so when I played one of the newer PS3 ones, it really took me by surprise.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Oh, that would be because the Iris games are officially a side-branch, and not part of the series proper. Common misconception

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    I'm still worried that Tecmo-Koei have a bad effect on Gust games. I don't like how Tecmo-Koi will handle games like Fist of the North Star 2 by making it digital only and not do English dubs.
    yeah, alot of people are upset with Koei going digital only with a couple of their new games like Kens Rage 2 and DW7 Empires. I wouldn't be too upset about it, if they weren't charging nearly full price for it ($50 for previous digital only games, One Piece and Warriors Orochi 3). That just reeks of pure greed. >_<
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I hope they get to keep localizing the series, but I fear a changeover to some cut-rate crappy company.
    NISA is already pretty bottom of the barrel when it comes to localization though. If anything, the move to TK could prove a good thing in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by merr View Post
    NISA is already pretty bottom of the barrel when it comes to localization though. If anything, the move to TK could prove a good thing in this regard.
    I highly doubt it and I think it's the other way around. You see they like to keep stuff for Japan only and when they bring games that they consider niche they do a incomplete localization (Fist of the North Star 2) and take them to the digital only route that I strongly despise. NISA on the other hand release a good translation and most games with dual audio and sometimes a nice package too. NISA is not bottom barrel because they deliver.

NISA+Atlus+Xseed FTW!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    I highly doubt it and I think it's the other way around. You see they like to keep stuff for Japan only and when they bring games that they consider niche they do a incomplete localization (Fist of the North Star 2) and take them to the digital only route that I strongly despise. NISA on the other hand release a good translation and most games with dual audio and sometimes a nice package too. NISA is not bottom barrel because they deliver.

NISA+Atlus+Xseed FTW!
    You're confusing localization with publishing decisions. NISA may release niche games in fancy packaging, but they're notorious for shoddy translations, which are often full of typos, poor writing, and weirdness in general. And now that they've stopped hiring PCB to dub their games, the quality of the voice acting in most of their releases has dropped significantly.

I've seen shoddy translations, and the Arland trilogy most certainly did not have shoddy translations. I haven't always agreed with the voice work direction in the games (I used the Japanese voice track in Totori because I couldn't stand her English voice), but the series could do waaaaay worse than NISA.

I'm glad this series keeps being localized outside of Japan. Though, all this talk is reminding me that I never did finish Atelier Totori, much less make it to the 3rd Arland entry. I enjoyed it, but got distracted. Hope to get back to it soon.

Totori has the best story, but Meruru has the best combination of gameplay features. Can't wait to see what they've done in Ayesha.