Thread: The Witcher 3 Gets Wild

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

The Witcher 3 Gets Wild

CDProjekt is giving gamers one final chance to Witch in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Get ready for monster-hunting and woman-wooing adventures in an open-world setting.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

New Member Member Endless Despair's Avatar
    Still haven't tried out the Witcher series yet. I hear it has a really dark plot. Having a world that's bigger than Skyrim's with no load time sounds appealing though, not gonna lie. No enough info about the game yet to really say anything about it. I'm definitely going to be watching its progress.
    Objection! That's so fun to say.

I actually have both Witcher games on my steam, I just haven't played them yet. I got them from the holiday sale when they were good and cheap so I don't have my stock in it. I do hope I like them. If so I'll watch this one a little closer.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

The actual amount of explorable space in The Witcher 2 was pretty small. It was just packed with detail. We'll see how they handle a bigger world. Call me skeptical that they can keep that same level of detail in a world 30 times larger.

I read though details in the latest Game Informer. It sounds amazing, and the exact kind of game I've been waiting for these guys to make. It's great that we're getting a whole lot of 90s throwback CRPGs this year, but it's good to know there are still some modern games worth getting excited over.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Can I just skip to 2014 already? All the games I want are coming out then I think.

I don't know what's in Game Informer since I don't buy game magazines anymore, I just hope I can tell Yennifer to jump off a cliff. Triss4life.

Seriously, I hope Witcher 3 carries over the most important decision from 2; whether you choose to keep that tattoo or not.

I'm really struggling to get into this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I'm really struggling to get into this franchise.
    How far have you gotten with the games?

I think the first game had a somewhat slow start that was compounded by some really complex quests early on (in the 2nd chapter) that kind of bog things down. My first time through, I stopped playing for months multiple times getting through chapter 2. After that, it was smooth sailing, and that continued all the way through The Witcher 2, which ended up being my favorite game in many years.

My issue with the first game was with the battle system-just felt too quick and skillful for a PC game; not what I look for when I play PC RPG's-so I doubt the story would have made a difference. The second one feels a lot better, although I don't like Geralt much, but...I dunno. It's just not grabbing me. I constantly think about playing something else. It's actually on my plate now, yet I feel like playing Amalur instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    My issue with the first game was with the battle system-just felt too quick and skillful for a PC game; not what I look for when I play PC RPG's-so I doubt the story would have made a difference. The second one feels a lot better, although I don't like Geralt much, but...I dunno. It's just not grabbing me. I constantly think about playing something else. It's actually on my plate now, yet I feel like playing Amalur instead.
    Eh, that's fair. I liked the battle system in the first one, but I can understand not liking it. I found the story in the 2nd game to be considerably better than the first (particularly act 2), and I became pretty attached to the characters.

IMO, Geralt is a bit of an oddity as far as main characters in RPGs go. Usually you either get a blank slate character with no innate personality (which easily allows player choice in dialog and to shape a branching story) or a complete character who has a past and personality that are set in stone, but doesn't allow for much in the way of player choice (your typical JRPG main character). Geralt has a distinct personality that somehow remains in place regardless of the player's dialog choices, and IMO, it works brilliantly (especially in The Witcher 2). Some dialog choices are radically different from each other and have major effects on the story, but they still manage to fit his personality.

This kind of character design fascinates me. Obsidian did some pretty interesting stuff along those lines in KOTOR2, though differently. You had a blank slate character who had a past that could be somewhat molded by the player's dialog decisions. This allowed Obsidian to get the benefits of the "amnesia" hook (a mysterious past that gradually gets revealed along the way) without actually using amnesia as the hook. The main character's past existed . . . he was just pretty reluctant to talk about it. Then from time to time, he would be asked about it and the player was given various choices with which to respond. Those choices changed the nature of specific events in the character's past, but also were able to reveal information that added depth to the player character in a satisfying manner.

Too few developers try to experiment with these things. KOTOR2 was inferior to KOTOR1 in a lot of areas, but the writing and story design elevated it well above Bioware's effort in KOTOR1 for me. I like Amalur, but I play it for the combat and exploration. The writing and atmosphere of the game are just so stale.
    Last edited by Azilis; 02-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.

KOTOR2 was inferior to KOTOR1 in a lot of areas, but the writing and story design elevated it well above Bioware's effort in KOTOR1 for me. I like Amalur, but I play it for the combat and exploration. The writing and atmosphere of the game are just so stale.
    Yeah, KotoR2 would have been pretty epic if Obsidian wasn't so rushed to complete the game. It was kind of neat going into the game's finale wondering who the real villains were, sort of like the whole Revan thing, but way more clever. And I haven't played enough of Amalur yet to judge the world. Combat is fun though.

And so far The Witcher 2 feels like a game I've played so many times before (same reason I'm having trouble getting back into Skyrim; feels like I'm "doing it all again", except without my favourite aspects of the Elder Scroll franchise). It's still early though. Other games I own seem to scratch that "itch" better atm, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm excited! I've enjoyed the first two greatly (although I can't get the first game to work on my computer now). CDProject treats their fans better than any company I know, with free DLC and game expansions, in addition to selling DRM free. I hope they have been amply rewarded for it. Another playthrough of #2 with all the new content is on my to-do list.

I hope they have been amply rewarded for it.
    Well, according to them, four copies of Witcher 2 were pirated for every 1 legitimate sale, so they don't believe they were amply rewarded. Still sold 1.5 million, and that ain't too bad.

I'd say that's a big reason they're making this one a free-roaming game. Even a company that's made their reputation almost entirely on the quality of their story-telling knows where the real money is.