Thread: Catharsis - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Catharsis - Currents

In this issue of Currents, THQ collapses, Resident Evil has an identity crisis, XNA Game Studio kicks the bucket, and the SEGA Dreamcast returns from the dead. Oh, and Trent buys a Wii U.

CURRENTS
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Follow up to the Feb 20 announcement by Sony. I am and have been a PS fan since the psx, but honestly, I'm not ready for a new console yet. I mean, the ps3 has only in the last year or two really added some decent rpg's to it's library. Going to a new console and starting that slow process over again just seems premature. I know its "time" as better hardware is available, but I'll probably hold off until I really am finished with my ps3 library.

only way I will feel different is if the new console is only a hardware upgrade, and you can still use all of your extras like the wii U. I would pay some cash for a better system that I could still use my ps3 controllers and games on, as well as stay connected to my psn downloads
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    Follow up to the Feb 20 announcement by Sony. I am and have been a PS fan since the psx, but honestly, I'm not ready for a new console yet. I mean, the ps3 has only in the last year or two really added some decent rpg's to it's library. Going to a new console and starting that slow process over again just seems premature.
    The guys on staff and I were just having a conversation about this. For the first time ever, I'm not actually excited over the advent of new hardware. I just feel like we haven't done enough with the current generation and that the next gen systems will be more expensive and inhibitory. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I won't be touching a PS4 until I know there are decent games in its library that make it worth buying.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

re: Dreamcast zombie:
    Note to would-be console makers: Don't make your platform open! If you do, it will fail quickly and you won't make any money. Instead, your fans will make all the money! So don't do that!
    I'm looking at you, Ouya and Gamestick.

re: Bought a Wii U
    Ahhh! How could you do this!?
    It reminds me of the previous Currents columnist look at the PSP Go, and the Bainick's sig for a long time (paraphrased): The PSP Go review must be a paid presentation, because no one would give it that kind of glowing endorsement.

I'm only joking. I'm not sure how good an investment your Wii U purchase will be, but there's no possible way it could be worse than a PSP Go.

The PSPgo is a fantastic system...if you have a regular PSP to rip your UMDs to load on it. Other than that? No.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I'm probably going to get the wii U bc of the new monolith soft game lol. i'm such a sucker...

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    I'm probably going to get the wii U bc of the new monolith soft game lol. i'm such a sucker...
    Mwhahahahaha, yessss...you crave the Wii U's potential. Assert your feelings, you know it to be true.

134016221789.jpg

The teaser trailer for "X" makes it look like it's going to be an online game... And I've experienced first-hand how having other players with you in an RPG sucks all the fun right out of it. :P

You can't really feel immersed into the game world when the people around you are running around headlessly, shouting "LOL n00b!"

Quote Originally Posted by InstaTrent View Post
    The guys on staff and I were just having a conversation about this. For the first time ever, I'm not actually excited over the advent of new hardware. I just feel like we haven't done enough with the current generation and that the next gen systems will be more expensive and inhibitory. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I won't be touching a PS4 until I know there are decent games in its library that make it worth buying.
    Most people around here know by now that I advocate not buying new systems when they launch. Launch consoles are notoriously more expensive, less reliable and have no game library. My personal strategy is to buy the games I want when they get down to $20-30 and when I have enough to justify a console purchase, I pull the trigger. My rule of thumb is once I've spent more on games than it would cost to buy their console, I buy it during the following Black Friday sale as consoles can always be found for $50-100 off during that time.

I got a PS3 basically on the assumption that Square Enix would make some good games for it. Unfortunately, that hasn't really happened. My PS2 library is about five times larger than my PS3 one. I'm not a fan of wide-open sandbox games, nor of FPS-style or Uncharted-style gunnery. I like games that have a strong linear story and fun gameplay that isn't marred by angsty marines, lantern-jawed antiheroes, or buckets of blood, and the PS3 hasn't delivered. The Wii U just may be my next purchase, although not for a while. I think I'll take some time and replay some of the games I've already got, provided I can find a good way to make PS2 games look not-crappy on my HDTV.

Hmm... maybe Sony is about to announce that they are dropping their plans to make a next-gen PlayStation! And are now throwing their full support behind the Dreamcast... Okay, maybe not.

If Microsoft has stopped supporting XNA, could that instead mean they have developed something new to replace it already but can't yet announce that due to the next-gen XBox secrecy?

Mwhahahahaha, yessss...you crave the Wii U's potential. Assert your feelings, you know it to be true.
    Haha so true.

I think I'll take some time and replay some of the games I've already got, provided I can find a good way to make PS2 games look not-crappy on my HDTV.
    Did you know there are HD cables you can use for your ps2? You can pick em up on Amazon. Mostly just enhances the colors but I secretly like to believe they make a true difference lol

Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    If Microsoft has stopped supporting XNA, could that instead mean they have developed something new to replace it already but can't yet announce that due to the next-gen XBox secrecy?
    I actually hope this is the case. Over the last few months I'd been doing some research and self-debate over whether I would start learning XNA or Android SDK development in my freetime. The XNA platform support tells me its a dead platform so I'm leaning away from it at this point. But if Microsoft has a follow-up they are going to make available, I have hopes that it could be even more powerful since I've heard great things about XNA.

My understanding from chatting with indie devs is XNA was never particularly supported, it's just really good. I'm not sure how microsoft "not supporting XNA" is going to change things, but I'm also not a programmer, so take that with a grain of salt.

I've been very underwhelmed with the latest generation of games. There have been hardly any RPGs that struck me as particularly memorable (unlike PS1/2,) and the graphics haven't really improved enough to console me. Even PC games have been held back from reaching the potential of today's technology, so that they could also be released on the consoles. I'm not at all sure a PS4 will improve matters significantly.

Taika, that may simply be because of the size of the PS2 library. There were simply more of them to choose from. I will say that I'm glad for the immense graphical improvements, though I have preferred several games that obviously focus less on graphics. But I find the minimum standards have reached good levels. Multiplatform games never reach any platform's full potential, so you shouldn't expect that. And there are only two or three PC exclusive franchises that reach modern gaming PC potential, because most developers want to retain a sizable customer base. A new console generation has never been a cure-all.