Thread: RPGCast - Episode 254: "Who Needs Kickstarter?"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 254: "Who Needs Kickstarter?"

RPGCast - Episode 254: "Who Needs Kickstarter?"

Class of Heroes decides to do a physical version after all. The Big Huge Games folks get more bad news. Quin teaches us about fictional starships. Chris misses ramen.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/254

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Who Needs Kickstarter?"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Comfort series: This will come as no surprise to anyone, but it's the Pokemon games. I've already spent over 700 hours on White Version, and I've racked up similarly high hours in previous generations. There's always something to do in these games.

Most times replayed: At this point, probably Fire Emblem:Path of Radiance. I played through it seven times, the last one on Hard mode. I did it to see all the possible support conversations and it's my favorite FE game thus far.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

For a comfort game, I'd have to say Dragon Warrior/Quest 4. It was among my first RPGs I ever played, and have played through at least ten times. Thinking about how much fun I had with the NES and DS versions is making me want to get an import copy of the PSX version and see if I can figure out how to play it on my PS2.

Comfort series strangely enough is Dynasty Warriors. Not even really sure why I find it so much fun.

Game I have completed the most is Final Fantasy 4. Pretty sure I've gone through this game at least 10 times start to finish.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/496/theharv00.png

I think my comfort game is Suikoden. It's the RPG I've started the most times without finishing, not because it's bad but because I just get the urge to play it (or the entire Suikoden series and I have to start with Suikoden 1) and then I get distracted. And I always start at the beginning when I pick it up again.

The game I've completed the most times is probably Legend of Mana. I not only played this game by myself but with my brother or sister, and we had the "portable" Playstation (small Playstation with attached monitor and a battery 'pad') so we also played it on road trips. The game just came at the right time and place, though I still like the game a lot.

YESSSS, I CAN LOG IN AGAIN! (I had a real problem recovering the password, and I already voiced my complaint in the site/forum support board. But yeah, you guys really should make the link to recover password pop up without me having to go SMT-style grinding to find it).

Anywho, comfort game--does MMO count? Well, I remembered Anna brough up WoW, so I guess mine is Mabinogi, and Suikoden (all, except Suikoden4. That game never happened). I like Mabinogi because I can totally just screw around there, and Suikoden was excellent in that it could be played one-handed (the shoulder buttons can be used as confirm/cancel button--genius!) and its story is so refreshing in liu of other games. Well, not that I like to see such tragedy unfolds, but sometime it is fun to see people more miserable than me.

Speaking of Suikoden, let me shamelessly promote http://www.facebook.com/SuikodenRevival . It's kinda like our Operation Rainfall, so yeah.

Oh, and those Vandread ships, the ships are called Dreads. The robots are called Vangaurds. Hence, they combined to Vandreads.
    Another mecha geek note--Nadesico was truly awesome. I never liked the actual ship though, but I love those cannon fodder federation ships. Those have style.

I have a question for your next show: Has anyone on the show/panel ever made an RPG game using programs like RPG Maker? Are there any new engines (including visual novel & fighting game engines) ? Most that I know are really old, and stuff like Source or Unity seems a bit complicated for a casual homebrewer who wants to test out some design like me. If push comes to shove though, I don't mind putting in the work for something like the Unity (which seems like it will last for a while), but is there any good source of info for tutorials and such?