Thread: Impression - Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Impression - Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden

When is a slime not a slime? When it's someone who's reinvented themselves with a magic heart and a helpful job temple. Why would anyone do that? You'd have to ask the heroes of this game. There must be some use to it all.

Whatever the reason, it seems to have left an impression.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Sure do hope this comes over!

Siliconera has a nice summary of some of the changes made to the game from its original, as discussed in a recent JP Iwata Asks.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I really hope this and the DQM remake come over here. Now that I have a 3DS I'm getting stoked for new games for it, and DQ is my all time favorite. Thanks for the impressions

Finally, the job system in the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII has been revamped as well. Originally, you could carry skills learned from a previous job which, while it allowed for great customization, also ultimately led to all the characters being the same. The uniqueness of the job was lost. This was changed so that if you change jobs, you could only “do that one job.” While this is a risky change, Fujimoto states that this change had actually come about through the many comments of those who had played the original game.
    Hm, not seeing this in the game. I'm making heavy use of skills from previous jobs as I go.

Well by do only 1 job skills they mean ALL spells and skills from jobs that aren't the base jobs can't be used when you switch them.

So if you want to abuse the crap out of Ultra hits until a boss is dead the entire party must be set to the Godhand Class (at master level) to use it else the skill gets temporarily removed when the PC's are NOT Godhands at all.

But this also applies to Mega Magic as well but luckly the spell IS usable by the Hero job on the 3DS version.

Ah... so the base job skills are still transferable then. It's only the advanced classes that have restrictions?

Correct only base job skills/spells transfer over however if a base job spell is also learned by Godhand etc those won't transfer over.

So if you want to use Healus only the Sage/Godhand/Healer monster class are the only jobs that can use it despite that Healer is a base monster class.

I'm not sure I welcome the change in the class system, as that was one of my favorite parts of the original DQ7. The game is definitely an exercise in patience, I'll concur.
    Last edited by LOLOttertard; 02-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Well for me I don't mind end of the PS1 version I made most of my party members godhands anyways and for the 3 DS version if the PC's stay as Godhands Ultra Hits/Heal All will always be usable.

OK, for the record, HealUs is the 10MP healing skill that restores upwards of 100 HP to all party members, yes? If so, then it's not restricted for someone who learned it as a Healer Slime. I had Gabo master Healer Slime and then move on to Berserker, and he can still use it.

Yes that's exactly what Healus does its just that on the PS1 version of the game I learned it off the Godhand class and mastered Monster Classes after every human job is mastered.

But Beserker is a base monster class so if you learn Healus via the healer slime then switch back to a advanced HUMAN job that isn't Sage/Godhand you won't be able to use it.

Rolled credits! Time as of the end-game save, 79:06
    Amount of grinding: minimal. I made a point of doing all of the bonus tablet dungeons at least once, played with the tablet generator and tablet trader a bit, etc. to get Gabo mastered on Dancing Jewels. It probably added another 4 hours to the game in all. I definitely could have finished it a little earlier than I did.

Class advancement:
    Michael, lvl 40 -- Fighter, Martial Artist, Priest, Thief, Sailor, Battlemaster, Pirate, Paladin, Godhand, Hero
    Gabo, lvl 39 -- Shepherd, Slime, Evil Turtle, Dancing Jewels, FloraJay, Wyvern, Healer Slime, BombCrag, Berserker, Cursed Lamp, Mimic (rank 4)
    Aira, lvl 37 -- Fighter, Dancer, Thief, Minstrel, Sailor, Shepherd, Jester, Monster Hunter, Superstar, Pirate (rank 5)
    Meribell, lvl 36 -- Magician, Priest, Dancer, Minstrel, Jester, Sage, Superstar, Summoner (rank 7)
    Melvin, lvl 31 -- Fighter, Magician, Priest, Magic Knight, Sage

Final battle wasn't easy, but not terribly tough. If the final form of the boss had kept the Madante spell (the way he did in the original version), then I probably would not have survived. That largely applies to the entire game. If you're playing it straight, with no real foreknowledge of the job classes or the means to exploit them, then the game will be pretty challenging. If you know all the tricks for low-level gaming from the PSX game, then the nerf points are usually obvious. One thing that I noticed is that the PSX FAQ I occasionally referred to had the Sheep Stampede skill mentioned in several battle strategies as a very high-damage attack. I think that skill had its attack formula changed so it's not nearly as powerful.

Also, for advance class skills... Third-tier classes (i.e. Godhand and Summoner) learn all of the attacks from their prerequisite classes during regular class leveling. So in the previous example with HealUs, Summoner can learn it as well since Sage is one of its prereq classes.