Thread: Drakengard - Staff Retroview

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Drakengard - Staff Retroview

There once was a man named Caim, who took to riding a dragon through the skies, slaughtering thousands of imperial peons in his path. He never gets tired of killing the teeming masses, but those who experience his game might.
    Watch the blood spurt.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I can't disagree with the review. It truly does have some problems with it, especially the amount of kills with a weapon powering it up, instead of the experience. I'm very thankful they changed it to leveling with experience in the sequel, as it's much easier to level up weapons there.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Even with how much I love Drakengaard, I agree with this review. The game definitely has its fair share of flaws; I ended up liking it despite them. I was really into Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors at the time it came out, and it felt to me like how you could take that genre of game and expand upon it into a unique narrative instead of rehashing RoTK over and over again.

I have to admit, though, that a certain scene in the second one brought me to tears due to the emotional investment I had put into this one. Something about how they did this game got me emotionally attached.

This game only good trait to me is how weird it is, really that's it. Oh and the fact that it's an action rpg without any party members (yep). I really don't know how I got to the end of this game quite honestly...I only used the starting sword because it was too tedious to level up everything, really lame game overall.

It was nice to see the story eventually rebooted in the superior Nier. This game... eh... pretty tedious.

I see the staff have grown fond of the term "boneheaded".

Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    It was nice to see the story eventually rebooted in the superior Nier. This game... eh... pretty tedious.
    I feel the complete opposite. I love the Drakengard series while I think Nier is just a substandard action RPG.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I see the staff have grown fond of the term "boneheaded".
    Your fault for that one, TG. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbabylon View Post
    I feel the complete opposite. I love the Drakengard series while I think Nier is just a substandard action RPG.
    Agreed. I love NIER, but Drakengard is infinitely the more memorable game in all aspects. If NIER had half the weapon variety of its predecessor and had pitted the player against armies of enemies, it would have been perfect.

And the Drakengard soundtrack is brilliant. Brilliant. The kind of detail that went into it represents he highest quality of musical craftsmanship. I'm not kidding. I can't really express in words its genius, suffice to say that it deserves repeated listens outside of the game. Be brave and dive right into the textural and timbral guts of classical orchestral music, just as composers Nobuyoshi Sano and Takayuki Aihara did.

While you're at it, read what the creators have to say about the soundtrack.

The opening song to the second game gives me shivers.

I vaguely remember playing a demo for this.