Thread: Uedingu Chaperu - Japandemonium for February 17th, 2013

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Uedingu Chaperu - Japandemonium for February 17th, 2013

So we're going to the chapel and we're going to read a column...

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Actually, Ninfia's English name is Slyveon, which might be derived from slyphs. This could make it a Flying type, though Bug is a possibility since slyphs are usually depicted as fairies with insect wings.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Duly noted.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Those pictures for your stuff dealing with your upcoming wedding plans made me cry...I really liked them (from the architecture and the food right down to the wedding outfits).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Digimon, digital monsters! Digimon are the champions! I think I would play pretty much any Digimon RPG if it were to come over here.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'm calling Sylveon for a Flying-type because her little tentacle-things look like windsocks and she kind of reminds me of the Flying gym leader from Gen V. With those eyes, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out Bug.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I'm calling Sylveon for a Flying-type because her little tentacle-things look like windsocks and she kind of reminds me of the Flying gym leader from Gen V. With those eyes, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out Bug.
    I'm inclined to agree with you, and there is a surprising amount of evidence to support it too. Some of it could be entirely coincidental, but I think it makes sense. Here's a site outlining the argument: http://www.pokedit.com/Cak%C3%A9naly...Type_4755.html
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

While the guy makes some good points, it really may be coincidental. If you make a diagram for the Eevolutions like that, it'd be hard NOT to pair up some elemental advantages. In fact, keeping Espeon/Umbreon as a constant, you could make the other sets:

Vaporeon/Flareon
    Glaceon/Leafeon
    Jolteon/???

or

Jolteon/Vaporeon
    Flareon/Leafeon
    Glaceon/????

The placement of Jolteon against Sylveon could be entirely coincidental.

Next, the nymph -> fairy -> flying connection doesn't work. Nymphs were Greek minor nature deities connected to forests (dryads), mountains (oreads), or water (oceanids, nereids, and naiads). None of them were fairies, none of them are depicted with wings. In most renaissance art, the water connection is especially strong. Sylphs came from the alchemic tradition, and aren't necessarily connected to fairies either (though the wings help). I have to wonder why they didn't name her Sylpheon if they intended for that connection. That would fit the character limit for names.

Finally, there's the fact that the word "nymph" is used to mean the water-dwelling larval stages of some insects, e.g. dragonflies.

So, care to make a wager, you two?

(Idol) Summonable entity...
    Now that is the kind of summon I can appreciate.
    I enjoyed the wedding hall stuff and got hungry staring at the food pics.
    I want to play the LoH game
    Thanks for another great installment.

"Slyvan" could also refer to the spirits & deities of the woods, which would actually fit the wilderness Nymphs quite well. So that site has dismissed Slyvan too quickly in any case.

Finally, there's the fact that the word "nymph" is used to mean the water-dwelling larval stages of some insects, e.g. dragonflies.
    Note that it's not restricted to just water larva, but any insects which develops without a pupal stage.
    (E.g. Cicada nymphs burrow underground.)

That said; using nymph in that form almost implies another stage to their evolution. (But I bet they just weren't thinking of that.)