Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 2013 - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

PlayStation 2013 - Currents

After weeks of speculation, Sony has officially announced the PlayStation 4. We have no idea what it will look like or how much it will cost, but plenty of other interesting features were demonstrated at yesterday’s PlayStation 2013 event.

CURRENTS!
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    That's pretty much how the night went. Disappointment, only to get some actual things that left us content.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I was intrigued by the show, yet I'm more anxious to see what may be revealed at E3. I need my JRPG fix.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    That's pretty much how the night went. Disappointment, only to get some actual things that left us content.
    The fact that the Eurogamer interview with Shuhei Yoshida left me feeling more comfortable about the PS4 than the presentation itself tells me the presentation was crap.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

i thought the livestream was okay last night, but the price is still the major factor for me. As well as third party support. I'm disappointed that psn games i bought for ps3 will not be playable on the new console.

I also can't believe how Square-Enix just wasted 10 minutes of everyones time just to re-show a demo they revealed last E3 and announce that the new FF game will be unveiled at this year's E3. It makes me think they actually have no clue or haven't really started the new one.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    The fact that the Eurogamer interview with Shuhei Yoshida left me feeling more comfortable about the PS4 than the presentation itself tells me the presentation was crap.
    Ok, to you and DarkRPGmaster, What exactly did you find disappointing about the event? (honestly just asking you, not trolling and not a fan boy of ether console looking for a fight) They talked about the hardware extensively (even the TYPE of ram and memory bandwidth) they showed the UI and system features such as being able to play a game AS it is downloading (how is that not freaking incredible) or the fact that the system starts up exactly where you left off (turn of the system mid game, turn on and your right back in the game) or cloud support for playing ps3 games (it running on a different processor so backwards compatibility is very difficult remember 360's lack of backwards comparability with the original xbox) and they even mentioned how this cloud service could eventually host a huge ps1 and ps2 library in the future (and they said it themselves so will probably happen eventually).

I understand wanting to see more games and the console itself. But keep in mind that they have to save some things for E3. Especially if Microsoft debuts the 720 at E3 (although I'm sure Microsoft will want to counter this event with there own).

P.S. the lead hardware designer guy (marble madness guy) That was on stage was seriously creepy lol

They have become a shadow of their former selves. I feel like ATLUS has completely taken there place as that rpg company that makes you want to buy almost anything with their logo on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    i thought the livestream was okay last night, but the price is still the major factor for me. As well as third party support. I'm disappointed that psn games i bought for ps3 will not be playable on the new console.
    Well it sounds like the pieces are pretty standard, so we might get a price more in line with the Xbox 360's launch than the absurdity that was the PS3. Sounds like a lot less R&D went into hardware than connectivity this time around.

I also can't believe how Square-Enix just wasted 10 minutes of everyones time just to re-show a demo they revealed last E3 and announce that the new FF game will be unveiled at this year's E3. It makes me think they actually have no clue or haven't really started the new one.
    Yeah, I still can't believe what's going on with SE. Can you believe that just six short years ago, they were one of the elite publishers in this industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    I also can't believe how Square-Enix just wasted 10 minutes of everyone's time just to re-show a demo they revealed last E3
    This. Seriously, what was Squarenix thinking? I think it would've been better to be a no show and save the surprise for a more polished work-in-progress/highly developed product at this year's E3.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 8-Bit View Post
    Ok, to you and DarkRPGmaster, What exactly did you find disappointing about the event? (honestly just asking you, not trolling and not a fan boy of ether console looking for a fight) They talked about the hardware extensively (even the TYPE of ram and memory bandwidth) they showed the UI and system features such as being able to play a game AS it is downloading (how is that not freaking incredible) or the fact that the system starts up exactly where you left off (turn of the system mid game, turn on and your right back in the game) or cloud support for playing ps3 games (it running on a different processor so backwards compatibility is very difficult remember 360's lack of backwards comparability with the original xbox) and they even mentioned how this cloud service could eventually host a huge ps1 and ps2 library in the future (and they said it themselves so will probably happen eventually).

I understand wanting to see more games and the console itself. But keep in mind that they have to save some things for E3. Especially if Microsoft debuts the 720 at E3 (although I'm sure Microsoft will want to counter this event with there own).

P.S. the lead hardware designer guy (marble madness guy) That was on stage was seriously creepy lol
    Because we had no actual showing of the console itself (as in, the completed hardware), it felt like they let the cat out of the bag a little too soon. Sure it's impressive, but because we don't have an actual visual representation of the console itself, it felt more like one of those tech demos a few years before the completed product.
    User Database Check

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Minor correction to the article: The revised PS3 still has support for PS1 games, they only dropped PS2 compatibility.

The lack of backwards compatibility in the PS4 is a problem for me, though. PS3 compatibility was probably infeasible anyway (the Cell architecture is too exotic to emulate easily), but not including PS1 or PS2 support seems a bit cheap.

I suspect that this cloud-based support will be just enough to put a checkmark in the "backwards compatible" box, and little more. It wouldn't be practical to have a PS4 upload the contents of a user's game disks into the cloud, which means that the only games supported for backward compatibility will be those specifically selected by Sony. I think copying the entire PS1/PS2/PS3 library into their system would be way too expensive (although, awesome if it happened*).

I'd be surprised if what we get is much more than the current PSN: access to a few popular games, hopefully with free access to those for which we already own the discs. (FF12 does deserve to be included in that list.)

*(Seriously, being able to purchase and play any existing PS[1-3] game would sell me on this console. I won't hold my breath though; if Sony was doing something like that, they would probably be advertising it.)

FWIW, and I've said this on Twitter, them not having it "in the box" is a common circumstance. At E3 2006, they had people running PS3s that were the front for much larger units that were cleverly hidden. Same thing with the WiiU the first year (2011). The fact they didn't show a case means they're saving it for E3, but here's a spoiler: It's gonna be a black box.

PS game compatibility should be built-in. And if you want to purchase a new digital copy of a PS1 game, it should be download-and-play, no [Gaikai] server required.
    Next: PS4 is powerful enough to play most PS2 games flawlessly. Give us the PS2 compatibility we know PS4 can deliver.

Lastly: Okay yeah, PS3 emulation is going to be downright impossible for quite some time. But I'm sure Gaikai can build PS3 remote play servers (out of PS3 hardware). The rub is that you have to buy your game again...or then again, maybe you don't. As PS4 has the tech needed to ensure you're playing an authentic PS3 game disc, it can authenticate it and send that code to the Gaikai server to determine if your game's compatible and if it is, then allow you to play (without additional purchase), as long as you have the disc in the drive. And it should also be possible to buy "fake" digital copies of PS3 titles (that don't actually download to the PS4) that you can play anytime on Gaikai servers without a disc.

Then again, why do I need a Playstation game console to play using Gaikai's servers? As the server is doing all the heavy lifting, you don't need expensive hardware to run such a game. You would need a PS controller which is easily solved via a solution similar to Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    FWIW, and I've said this on Twitter, them not having it "in the box" is a common circumstance. At E3 2006, they had people running PS3s that were the front for much larger units that were cleverly hidden. Same thing with the WiiU the first year (2011). The fact they didn't show a case means they're saving it for E3, but here's a spoiler: It's gonna be a black box.
    Black? I thought it would be gray, as an old throwback to the original Playstation!
    User Database Check

They have become a shadow of their former selves. I feel like ATLUS has completely taken there place as that rpg company that makes you want to buy almost anything with their logo on it.
    My main thing was the hammering of social and connectivity during the presentation. As someone who primarily games in the single player and has -5 interest in social gaming, it really felt like that would be the only reason to have a PS4. I want a games console, not a Facebook box.

I feel the same about PS4 as I do about Wii U. Let's see what it can do and what it gives me to play and then I'll decide whether it's worth a second look. So far, I'm thinking it'll be a long wait.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

I can't say for sure until they provide clearer details, and while the tech specs seem fine, their choice of focus for implementation of many things leaves much to be desired. Social network crap in particular irks me as people don't buy consoles for it, it detracts from gaming and as such game purchases, and pulls resources from working on more important features. Sony's lack of forward planning with processor/system architecture has shot them in the foot as far as backwards compatibility capabilities. You'd have thought they would have learned with their troubles with PS2 BC. And if current PSN game purchases don't carry over at some point, I predict an opening where MS could get the opportunity to have a PS2 level of dominance in the next console era. With the possible exception of Japan's fiercely loyal consumers. That all depends on whether or not the feared rumors of the next Xbox turn out to be true. But the ball is clearly in MS's court right now.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I feel like ATLUS has completely taken there place as that rpg company that makes you want to buy almost anything with their logo on it.
    Well so long as it's a game they actually developed, as they've published some stinkers (I'm looking at you Game of Thrones)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    My main thing was the hammering of social and connectivity during the presentation. As someone who primarily games in the single player and has -5 interest in social gaming, it really felt like that would be the only reason to have a PS4. I want a games console, not a Facebook box.
    I am torn between completely agreeing with you on this, but then also disagreeing that the ps4 is already looking like a disappointment. I completely despise the social media elements of console gaming. I feel like that's the point of playing an MMO, or COD multiplayer. The interaction and social factors are there when you want them. When it comes to privacy, I don't even like the people in my friends profile knowing what games I'm playing etc, which I find really annoying about the way the ps log system works. I don't want to know that my friend xxxMWkillaxxx is watching netflix. I absolutely prefer to game in anonymity.

That said, I thought the rest of the presentation was basically what I expected. Specs look good, and yeah the controller is ugly but if it functions well then I'm ok with it. But I thought they nailed two biggies for the console going forward that will make it successful IMO.

1. A focus on launching with more great titles. How many sony launches have we seen now with complete crap at launch? I'll give you a clue: all of them. (Vita anyone? lol)
    2. A focus on making the system easier to build games for. I felt like they really pushed that the 4 will be a great system to build a game for, and that the design software would be accessible, something the 3 really struggled with.

So I'm on the fence at this point, which is probably where I should be this early in the news cycle.

P.S. Facebook box = hilarious!
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Yeah, what was up with that. Award for most awkward moment of the night goes to...
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

What? Mark Cerny was amazing.

This guy was awkward! Everything was just a little too real for him...

I felt a little underwhelmed about the entire reveal for PS4 as whole, but after watching the full Stream on GiantBomb the hype engine started again. I recommend checking it out. http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/meet...-us/2300-7066/
    Last edited by Savorien; 02-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade