Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Screens - Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

10 Screens - Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho are returning for a fourth and final adventure, their second with Zeboyd Games at the helm. Here are some screens showing off the game's environments and its monster-taming battle system.

[10 Screens]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Playable monsters? I sense madness approaching. Also, I DO hope we get to punch out Cthulhu (trope reference there).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Their environment art seems to be getting better. At least, better than what I remember? Also, is that a Chrono Trigger styled overmap??!
    Vanillawareís 2D is, once again, shaming their competitorís 3D. Itís like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

The progression of Zeboyd Games' environment art.

Breath of Death VII - http://zeboyd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1Ruins.png
    Cthulhu Saves the World - http://zeboyd.com/wp-content/uploads...th_Shrine1.png
    Precipice of Darkness 3 - http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20120...22283.nphd.jpg
    Precipice of Darkness 4 - http://www.rpgamer.com/games/rainsli...eens/paa44.jpg
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Well done guys. There's a lot of shading going on and it adds a significant amount of polish to the environments. I like it.
    Vanillawareís 2D is, once again, shaming their competitorís 3D. Itís like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

Neat. I hadn't seen these yet. I just wish this site had a better screenshot viewer. It's pretty annoying to click on every picture and come back for every one of them.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

Heh. He knocked my notion of producing a game with FF6 level of graphics, but looky! He eventually made it (mostly) there on his own. Heck, he even has a train sequence. Next stop: FF7 quality!

Admit it, Zeboyd. Blocky polygonal graphics would be an endless source of jokes.

Tycho: "Holy crap! My schlong is all big and blocky!"

Gabe: "That's the one benefit of being made up of early era polygons: the grotesque exaggerations of our bodies doesn't stop at the limbs."

Tycho: "Now I just need to find a square hole..."
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 02-21-2013 at 11:30 PM.

That's uuuh, nice train you got there. Looks well fed.

And no TG, bad. PS1 era graphics are to be shunned.

Hey now, pre-rendered backgrounds were gorgeous, and I never had a problem with sprites. I was just joking about the polygons.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Heh. He knocked my notion of producing a game with FF6 level of graphics, but looky! He eventually made it (mostly) there on his own. Heck, he even has a train sequence. Next stop: FF7 quality!
    How long ago was this? Because FF6-level graphics were definitely beyond us when we were starting out but our engine has improved since then and our artist has really grown in experience & skill. Precipice of Darkness 4 is taking us about as long to make as Cthulhu Saves the World did, despite the drastically improved visuals (and probably increased length as well).
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

What's going to be your next project after PoD4?
    User Database Check

YOU SHALL HAVE MY $30! Because you had me the second I read the "none of the Star Ocean 'fantasy planet' type thing".
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by Zeboyd Games View Post
    Sounds awesome. Looking forward to screens and more info in the months ahead!

Does that mean Ep.4 is the last game in the series? Or does Penny Arcade have more episodes planned?

Is it my imagination or do female protaganists work better for sci-fi settings? When someone says "new sci-fi" project, the first image that enters my head is a female character. With fantasy settings it's always a male character. Funny that.

Or maybe it's because I find cyborg ninjas sexy.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    In today's world of novels at least, female leads are more common in fantasy (and ubiquitous in paranormal fantasy thanks to the Twilight phenom). "Hard" sci-fi is still a bit of an old-boy's club, whereas female authors and readers are now a huge part of the fantasy genre. Things seem different in terms of video games. Though female protagonists are rare in all game genres, most of the memorable leads (in Western gaming anyway) seem to come from modern and futuristic games (Faith, Jade, Lara), or hybrid games like The Longest Journey.

And yes, this is the final entry in the Penny Arcade series. I'm sure Robert will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe four games was the originally planned length of the series back when PA was working with Hothead.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Precipice of Darkness 4 is the grand finale of the series. The series was always intended as a four-parter (hence the "The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man").

As far as female protagonists in sci-fi settings goes, there's certainly strong precedent:
    The Alien series
    Metroid
    Phantasy Star series (especially the first game)
    Xenosaga series
    Somewhat in Mass Effect (Fem-shep)
    Some of the Wild Arms games (WA3 & WA:XF both had female leads)
    Star Ocean 2 (one of the lead choices is female)

And lots more.
    Last edited by Zeboyd Games; 02-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.

New Member Member bill_at_zeboyd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeboyd Games View Post
    How long ago was this? Because FF6-level graphics were definitely beyond us when we were starting out but our engine has improved since then and our artist has really grown in experience & skill. Precipice of Darkness 4 is taking us about as long to make as Cthulhu Saves the World did, despite the drastically improved visuals (and probably increased length as well).
    You can just say my name, Robert! Heheh. Our artist is me, there's only two of us!

Anyway, the feedback on the screens has been very encouraging to me! I've been working extremely hard and trying a ton of new ideas on how to do 16-bit art efficiently, so it's good to hear that the upgrades on Rainslick4 are noticeable.

Doing all of these maps and enemies from almost entirely from scratch and getting almost all of it done in what will likely end up about an equal time span as it took to do CSTW has been a massive challenge for me thus far but I'm pretty close to pulling it off.
    Last edited by bill_at_zeboyd; 02-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.

...for some strange reason I suddenly want you guys to do the next game in the same look style as Earthbound, just for the laughs.
    User Database Check

An Earthbound-like game would definitely be right up their alley.