Thread: Press Event Impression - Final Fantasy XIV

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Press Event Impression - Final Fantasy XIV

RPGamer's own Nathan Schlothan recently took a trip down to San Francisco to play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Read his thoughts on the game, see a few trailers, and learn more about the game's benchmark here.

[Link]
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 02-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited about the prospect of playing this on the ps3 with some of my friends, but I do hope that it comes together nicely as a game. I'm also curious to see what FFXI fans think of this new iteration of the series. I've been into FFXI for only a short time, but when I ask XI players what they think of XIV most are uninterested. I agree that I don't see them moving out of FFXI quickly. I personally am looking forward to this game however, and I'm going to try to recruit my linkshell FFXI friends as well
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I am very pessimistic about this title, my attempts at playing this game in its previous format has floundered each time I tried to get into it. I look forward to reviews on this when it launches, as I will not touch it until I read some reviews.

I apologize if I missed it in the article, but what did you think of the user interface and controls? That was the major disappointment for me in the original FFXIV, and I'm hoping they've improved it.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You know, considering how long it's taken the game just to be ready for PC relaunch, a PS3 version only makes sense at this point if it's going to be a simultaneous release. Considering PS4's going to be an x86 device, wouldn't it just make more sense to move development over there?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    I apologize if I missed it in the article, but what did you think of the user interface and controls? That was the major disappointment for me in the original FFXIV, and I'm hoping they've improved it.
    I didn't play long enough to really get a feel for those, but I didn't have any major complaints. The game mostly uses a hotbar for battle commands, and that seems to work quite well. It seems fairly customizable, and I didn't have many problems with what I was trying to do. I guess using potions was a bit of a pain, but only because I didn't put them in the hotbar, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterchief
    You know, considering how long it's taken the game just to be ready for PC relaunch, a PS3 version only makes sense at this point if it's going to be a simultaneous release. Considering PS4's going to be an x86 device, wouldn't it just make more sense to move development over there?
    They are working on a simultaneous release for the PS3 version, though. It is already running on the platform and they claim it is 75% optimized for the system. PS3 players will be able to participate in the later phases of the Beta, and supposedly the fourth phase of teh Beta will be open to all PS3 owners, which is kind of nice. One of the trailers in my impression contains images from that version. All told, it seems like the PS3 version is working well and on track for a simultaneous release, so scrapping it now would be the waste.

Of course, as I mentioned in the impression, I get the feeling that it is almost certain that FFXIV will be on the PS4 as well. Mr. Yoshida wasn't making any real effort to hide that it was something they wanted to do, though perhaps not immediately. The PS3 is clearly their bigger priority.

OK, well simultaneous release is cool. I can deal with that.

That said, yeah, I can imagine it'll come to PS4 in short order as well, perhaps bundled with the first true expansion the game ends up getting. The potential ease of porting from PC can't have been lost on these people.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    OK, well simultaneous release is cool. I can deal with that.

That said, yeah, I can imagine it'll come to PS4 in short order as well, perhaps bundled with the first true expansion the game ends up getting. The potential ease of porting from PC can't have been lost on these people.
    The possibility of them combining the PS4 release with the first expansion sounds plausible. One other bit of information I heard while I was there said that they plan to have the first big (paid?) expansion about two years after the release of A Realm Reborn. That should be more than enough time to see the launch of the upcoming consoles and for them to build up enough of a playerbase to justify a port.

It sounds like it's much better, then, as the original's was something of a user interface nightmare to behold, imo. I wonder if there will be any way to do a trial account or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    The possibility of them combining the PS4 release with the first expansion sounds plausible. One other bit of information I heard while I was there said that they plan to have the first big (paid?) expansion about two years after the release of A Realm Reborn. That should be more than enough time to see the launch of the upcoming consoles and for them to build up enough of a playerbase to justify a port.
    I can see it being two years before the first major expansion. Lord knows they've had to do so much to bring the base game up to snuff that A Realm Reborn is pretty much an expansion onto itself.

I think that realm reborn is more than an expansion. It seems to be a completely different game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    i'm super excited about the manthra. i thought the female galka would be more beefy though and not so feminine looking. i still play FFXI and can't wait for FFXIV! especially excited to see how it compares to 1.0.

I'm not giving up hope, but did anyone else notice every time they showed the PS3 version of an area the frame rate was way down?
    My wife and I played FFXI for years (up until last year) and we're looking forward to playing XIV together as well. So please feel free to tell me that it's just the video streaming or I'm just seeing things. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xoa View Post
    I'm not giving up hope, but did anyone else notice every time they showed the PS3 version of an area the frame rate was way down?
    My wife and I played FFXI for years (up until last year) and we're looking forward to playing XIV together as well. So please feel free to tell me that it's just the video streaming or I'm just seeing things. lol
    Nah, i saw that too, although i doubt they'd release the game that way. ... Also of note, i have a Radeon 7850 card in my system and scored 4400 on the benchmark at max settings. Obviously the PS3 version will not be at max settings, but given the power of my card ... (bottlenecking is some of that but not entirely), ... this game has a very high graphical end.

In terms of how massive an overhaul this is ... i don't even know exactly what they're keeping from 1.0 ... i'm sure they are but ... even the cities look significantly different.

Not as big on MMOs anymore, but I want to hear more about Gold Saucer activities. :P

You know, the dual action bars setup is one of the most ingenious ways I have seen implementing gamepads to MMO's. I hope other MMO's still this ideas in the future for gamepad users like myself.

New Member New Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    You know, the dual action bars setup is one of the most ingenious ways I have seen implementing gamepads to MMO's. I hope other MMO's still this ideas in the future for gamepad users like myself.
    It's very similar to XI's macro bars with the exception being that it is always visible and uses the d-pad and face buttons so you don't have to frantically scroll via d-pad. Glad to see them improve upon past ideas, an idea I would love to see implemented in XI.